How can do tie breakers for playoff spots in h2h league?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How can do tie breakers for playoff spots in h2h league??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How can do tie breakers for playoff spots in h2h league??

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:34 pm

i'm setting up a h2n league on sportsline.3 divisions & 12 teams.the 3 division winners make the playoffs & 1 wild card team makes the playoffs.I have for my first tie breaker wins heads up against the team that you are tied against but after that i'm stuck please help.
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:50 am

I'm assuming you're categorically scored. If it's a points league, total points is a great tie-breaker. Other tie-breakers could include divisional record and record versus specific division. For instance, if two teams are tied for the wild card spot, the team with the better record against that team's division would advance.

You're in a bit of a spot, though, if one team from each division qualifies as the wild card.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:54 pm

^^ it's not a point league.it's cats.would you happen to have any suggestions?
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:01 pm

My two categorical suggestions were divisional record and record versus specific division. You can't do total interdivisional record, but against specific divisions would work just fine.

I suggest that you first go with who was the best in their division. If two teams are still tied after that, look at their record against the others' division. So if Team A and Team C are tied in overall record and intradivisional record, look at how Team A did against Team C's division and vice versa. After that, you flip a coin or something.

And don't even ask what you do if three team's are tied for overall record and intradivisional record... :-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby 2119 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:23 am

Since its a 5X5, what happens if in the first round of the playoffs, Team A wins 5 categories and Team B wins 5 categories? Losing a tiebreaker in taht situation would kind of suck IMO.

Thats the problem Im having with my league, trying to have an odd number of categories.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: How can do tie breakers for playoff spots in h2h league??

Postby Trojan Pony » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:38 pm

Lenny Dykstra wrote:i'm setting up a h2n league on sportsline.3 divisions & 12 teams.the 3 division winners make the playoffs & 1 wild card team makes the playoffs.I have for my first tie breaker wins heads up against the team that you are tied against but after that i'm stuck please help.

1. Head-to-Head record
2. Record within division (if both teams are in same division)
3. Record against common opponents (if possible)
4. Number of wins overall
5. Number of losses overall
6. Coin flip
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby scotty5150 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:43 am

This is our system:

In the event that two or more teams are tied for playoff seeding at the end of the regular season, the seeding will be determined by each team's regular season win/loss results versus the other team(s). In the event that does not break the tie, the following tiebreak system will be used to determine seedings (the first value in this list that is not tied will be used to determine the seeding; statistics used are year-to-date):
Lowest team ERA
Highest team AVG
Lowest team WHIP
Most team HR
Most team wins
Most team RBI
Most team saves
Most team runs
Most team SO
Most team SB
Black Diamond League Commissioner
http://www.bdlbaseball.com