Schilling the free agent, next season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Schilling the free agent, next season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Schilling the free agent, next season

Postby sox 06 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:05 pm

Schilling will most likely file for free agency after this season:

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Curt Schilling said Thursday he will become a free agent after the season but won't let that be a distraction during his fourth year with the Boston Red Sox.

General manager Theo Epstein wouldn't rule out in-season discussions for a new contract.

At a brief meeting between the two Wednesday, Epstein told the pitching ace that the team would not give him an extension during spring training, as Schilling had wished.

"Curt's going to be 41, and at that age we've got to be a little more conservative," Epstein said. "It doesn't mean we don't want him back. I have all the confidence in the world that if Curt wants to pitch in 2008 and he's still pitching effectively, as I expect he will, then we'll find a way to keep him in a Red Sox uniform."

He also said Schilling would be the Opening Day starter April 2 in Kansas City and "I couldn't be happier about that."

Schilling struggled late last season and went 15-7 with a 3.97 ERA. Bothered by injuries in 2005, he was 8-8 with a 5.69 ERA. But in 2004, his first season with Boston, he was 21-6 with a 3.26 ERA and a star of Boston's World Series sweep of St. Louis.

Late last month, Schilling said he wanted to play in 2008 after stating previously that he would retire after the 2007 season. Schilling, who represents himself, also said he would play for the same amount he's making this season, $13 million, but he wouldn't negotiate after Opening Day.

On Thursday, he said he was "disappointed" but understood the club's position. He also said he would not negotiate with the Red Sox during the 15 days following the World Series, when they are the only club allowed to discuss money with him.

"I will file for free agency at the end of the season and they know that," Schilling said.

Manager Terry Francona, who also managed Schilling in Philadelphia, indicated the pitcher could alter his stance.

"He was also going to retire," Francona said. "You know what I'm saying. Things change."

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2775412
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:29 pm

I see him being motivated by this...I predict a huge year for Schilling!
I'm hoping to pick him up in the fifth round of my league...great win totals, he eats innings and a superb K/BB ratio...
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby yamar2001 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:53 am

I think Schill will come up big this year too. Hope the BoSox can hang onto him, he's still a great pitcher for us and certainly a good leader to have around at an affordable price (hopefully)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=294579&highlight=

wanna help me out too? click my link
yamar2001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:19 pm

I agree as well that Schill's in line for a big year...bad news for my Yanks :,-(
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chicago RedSox » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:09 am

I hope Schilling stays with the Sox for anohter year or two. With such a young rotation it'll be good to have a talkative vet around to share some wisdom.
And I hope he wins 20 games this season, but I do remember him saying in an interview recently that he tends to play his best ball in the first year of a new contract....to show the team they made the right decision going with him.
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates