how to draft/win this league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

how to draft/win this league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

how to draft/win this league?

Postby shasty mcnasty » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:00 pm

ten team, H2H, single season, autodraft, Yahoo league amongst friends, for fun. I would guess that i'm the only manager who knows of the Cafe, or of Baseball Monster...the other managers will probably be relying on the most part on yahoo rankings/info...

So, these are the cats:
Hitting: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG,
Pitching: W, SV, HR, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9

if i plug those into BBM, the first thing that jumps out is some seriously high values for Relief Pitching. Last year, post-draft, i realized the same thing, and used as many relief pitchers (the dual-eligible ones as Starters) as possible, riding that strategy to regular season dominance (my team collapsed in the playoffs... manny/beltran/liriano/pedro being the main culprits)

Although this is only my 2nd year playing FBB, i've read enough to realize that relief pitching is pretty volatile from year to year, so my question is, when in the draft should i begin getting closers? Would their high impact in this league have you drafting them earlier than usual/stockpiling them, or would you advise waiting and drafting them more toward the end and playing the wire to grab the hot guys?

also, with these rankings, are there positional players that you think would be good targets/bargains, aside from those listed in the Yahoo rankings thread?
any other advice on how to win this league?
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:08 pm

You can probably wait until the 4th round until anyone starts to take RP. At that point you can probably grab as many as you want because no one else is going to take more than 2 that early. RP's are definitely more valuable in your league though. They will help you in SV, HR, ERA, WHIP, and K/9. As far as hitters, any fast lead off hitters with good OBP will help you in a lot of categories.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HollywoodHartman » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:22 pm

What's baseball monster?
HollywoodHartman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:53 pm

It helps you make rankings. They use last year's stats and plug them into a formula (Vorp I believe) and come out into rankings. You can use just about every stat category you could want.

Rotospin.com is another one that does auction value (and are pretty good)

http://www.baseballmonster.com
http://www.rotospin.com
Member #4 Of "The Official Zack Greinke Fan Club"
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:02 pm

The fact that K's and K/9 are both catagories annoys me. You could, however, take advantage of that, by taking pitchers that throw hard, get a lot of strikeouts, despite maybe walking a couple extra guys- if you're willing to take a bit of a hit in WHIP, the benefits could be really good.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shasty mcnasty » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:01 am

yeah, as far as pitching goes, it seems like Closers are the most valuable commodity...the thing is, i don't even know that most of the other guys in the league realize it...it's kinda a league with a bunch of friends, and not for $, and honestly, i don't think they know abou the Cafe and other more in-depth analysis, so i'm trying to figure out where i should start drafting those closers...it would be nice to get away with taking hitters as long as possible, then stock up on some top-end closers, and then pick up a couple of hard throwing starters...be even better if i could get some relievers that have dual-eligibility, to fill in the starter positions...
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:50 am

Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers