Best pitch in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best pitch in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:47 am

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Not too long ago Pedro had the best fastball, changeup, slider, and curve... Those were the days, those were the days...

I think he had the most dominant combo of fastball, change and curve but not sure he had the best pitch individually over some other pitchers. Maybe his change up back in the day but...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LukeW9027 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:23 pm

Yoda wrote:
LukeW9027 wrote:K-Rod has a great slider, but he tends to throw it too much and becomes predictable sometimes when I have watched him.

Yeah Krod's slider is so predictable that he has a career 2.28 ERA and 11.96 K9. ;-7

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... ez-1.shtml

Well, I obviously was nitpicking a bit there, but when Ive seen him run into trouble, its because of him throwing too many sliders and the pitchers waiting on them. Liriano on the other hand, the picth looks exactly like his fastball until it breaks late and under the bats of righties. Alot of the times, the deceivability of a pitch is what makes it great.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:28 pm

LukeW9027 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
LukeW9027 wrote:K-Rod has a great slider, but he tends to throw it too much and becomes predictable sometimes when I have watched him.

Yeah Krod's slider is so predictable that he has a career 2.28 ERA and 11.96 K9. ;-7

Well, I obviously was nitpicking a bit there, but when Ive seen him run into trouble, its because of him throwing too many sliders and the pitchers waiting on them. Liriano on the other hand, the picth looks exactly like his fastball until it breaks late and under the bats of righties. Alot of the times, the deceivability of a pitch is what makes it great.

I hear ya.

However, I'm pretty confident in saying that Krod has a better slider than Liriano. Liriano was dominant for what, 3 months in MLB before blowing out his arm? Whereas Krod's been throwing it for years and utterly dominant every time he is on the mound.

Who knows what Liriano will look like when he comes back? My guess is that he will continue to have arm related troubles given his history.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:36 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Ender wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Field wrote:What about Burnett?

He has an electrifying two-seamer I believe. We didn't get to see a lot of it last year obviously.

Burnett's curve is actually better than Halladay's as well, and that's saying something.

Burnett's "stuff" is up there with anybody in the league. If he can harness it and stay on the field he'd be top 5 pitcher in baseball. But the if's are still there. But a healthy year from him and Halladay plus Chacin with the Jays lineup makes me smile.

Anyway, back on topic, based on pure stuff Burnett has to be there somewhere. Whether it be his FB or Curve.

If I were a Blue Jay fan nothing about Chacin would make me smile.

Not even his 200+ IP 2005 season? He may not be able to duplicate it, but he's a capable #3-4 starter for the Jays at his best I believe. Even with injury problems and a terrible start to the season last year he still ended up with somewhat respectable numbers for the AL East.

Exactly. And given the scary stuff we had out there last year Chacin being healthy all year would have made the difference of a few wins I'm sure.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LukeW9027 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:46 pm

Yoda wrote:
LukeW9027 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I hear ya.

However, I'm pretty confident in saying that Krod has a better slider than Liriano. Liriano was dominant for what, 3 months in MLB before blowing out his arm? Whereas Krod's been throwing it for years and utterly dominant every time he is on the mound.

Who knows what Liriano will look like when he comes back? My guess is that he will continue to have arm related troubles given his history.

Good point.

But, with how often Tommy John surgery is being done these days, and the amount of success stories there are, its hard to predict what will happen until we see some results.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:49 pm

LukeW9027 wrote:Good point.

But, with how often Tommy John surgery is being done these days, and the amount of success stories there are, its hard to predict what will happen until we see some results.

I do agree Liriano had a dominant slider as well. With his injury though, if this were an isolated case, then I'd be more confident that he will be fine.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby johnsamo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:33 pm

The best pitch in baseball is a strike. hitters hate pitchers who don't walk guys. It total changes your approach when you know a pitcher isn't going to walk you. It makes taking strikes you really don't want to swing at hard to do.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:43 pm

RynMan wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:Casey Fossum probably has the best Eephus pitch :-D

Whoa, wait a minute! Fossum throws an Eephus? Or are you just saying that he throws fat, loopy pitches?

Yeah, he has a form of eephus that he calls the "Fossum Flip".
It's a extremely slow 12-6 curve ball he'll occasionally throw.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thedude » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:12 pm

johnsamo wrote: hitters hate pitchers who don't walk guys.

...And yet hitters love Josh "Control" Towers...
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:20 pm

thedude wrote:
johnsamo wrote: hitters hate pitchers who don't walk guys.

...And yet hitters love Josh "Control" Towers...

How about Carlos "Hitman" Silva? :-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers