Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zack Greinke news

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:17 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Yoda wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
Yoda wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:SO was he bad because he was suffering from clinical depression? :-?

He was bad because he was too young, not ready and Royals sucked.

No, he was pretty good in 2004. He was bad in 05 due to a combination of his mental state, the continuous suckiness of the team and stupid Guy Hansen messing with his mechanic and approach.

So you are saying he wasn't rushed to the majors when he was 21 yo getting his ass kicked every day? :-?

Looking at his history, getting rushed to MLB in 05 culminated into his breakdown.

He did fine his first season? no?

He was fine but it wasn't a full season either. Also, the pressure of doing well initially and then not coming even close to that the following season probably had a lot to do with his breakdown. But that is just my guess.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsguy138 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:23 pm

bigh0rt wrote:This guy is a nut.

I give this guy a lot of credit for battling through what he's been through. He obviously does have a problem, but you could give him some credit for what he's done.

I've never really known this guy, or his story. Great read, and hopefully he will have a bright future.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)

Postby Half Massed » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:54 pm

Well, I'm glad that he came clean with all the he was/is dealing with. Let's hope that he's alright to play and can strive to achieve his potential.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:55 pm

StlSluggers wrote: I don't have the talent.

I think that you may have shown that you do actually have the talent, with a very apt quote.

StlSluggers wrote: The best description I ever heard of a truly gripping depression is in the Dave Matthews' song:

She feels like kicking out all the windows
And setting fire to this life,
She could change everything about her
using colors bold and bright
But all the colors mixed together to grey

I almost cry every time I hear that part of the song. He's dead-on there. You could take the most drastic steps, and in the end, life would still seem utterly meaningless, empty, and void. Looking back, I feel like I was dead for 10 years.

that's a pretty good summary.

*caution, Man Law violation forthcoming* I read The Bell Jar and Sylvia Plath's Letters when I was in college and think that she portrayed the condition very well as on one page you're sailing along on a nice trip to New York and a couple pages later things close in and you are over on the other side. I think that she also portrays it as grey. The Bell Jar made me feel pretty unhinged.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Grouperman941 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:33 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
*caution, Man Law violation forthcoming* I read The Bell Jar and Sylvia Plath's Letters when I was in college and think that she portrayed the condition very well as on one page you're sailing along on a nice trip to New York and a couple pages later things close in and you are over on the other side.

Jersey? ;-)

I think he will come back just fine, having matured a lot from this experience.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ondeckb » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:37 pm

I've got a friend who was on a delayed flight from Orlando to KC with Greinke.....he says it was really trippy talking with him. That being said, I'm gonna slip him in a late slot in my fantasy draft. Call me a homer, but I've seen him pitch......and this kid's got talent.
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 am

What an interesting story. Hope he can still reach his potential as previously mentioned. I've always been a fan of Greinke.

Anyone remember his curve ball in MVP baseball?
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:52 am

go_jays_go wrote:What an interesting story. Hope he can still reach his potential as previously mentioned. I've always been a fan of Greinke.

Anyone remember his curve ball in MVP baseball?

perhaps my favorite pitch in the game. You can pretty much slip about 5 of them in game for strike each time :-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:51 am

Even though he's on the Royals and his ability is tough to gauge based on 2004 achievement, Greinke's definitely worth a late round flyer.

Hopefully, even if Greinke doesn't get a rotation spot the Royals (and he) will consider pitching as a reliever. Think he'll do that? I know his medication seems to have cleared his head up, but I wonder if the extra work would ease him back into the spotlight better. Either way, I wish him success.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby RyanK » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:25 am

Weird.. my friend and i were just talking about Greinke yesterday and how he had some serious mental issuse.

My friend played baseball with Greinke and said how he would hate talking to people and always want to be by himself, on road trips he usually got his own hotel room and wouldnt have a roommate.

I hope he does well this year and in the future
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers