Yahoo H2H Leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo H2H Leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo H2H Leagues

Postby bobs_auto » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:47 pm

Hey guys, this is only my 2nd year in fantasy baseball. I am commish in a yahoo league. We did roto last year with 10 categories each.
I agree that may have been too many, and have cut it to a 7x7 for now:
2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB,K,AVG : W,SV,K,ERA,WHIP,HLD,BB

Not sure of the equality of that, but it seems OK.

My question is actually regarding the H2H leagues in Yahoo. I think H2H is a better way to go as far as keeping people in contention later in the year. It just seems to me that with roto, once you slot into a place within a stat category, it is really hard to make any ground.

So, in the H2H on yahoo, am I reading it correctly that if you have 14 stat categories, at the end of the week your record will reflect 14 games(14-0, 12-2, 7-7, etc) or do you get 1 win/loss per week based on winning the majority of the categories. Is it changeable?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, please feel free to comment on my selection of stats....

Thanks guys.
bobs_auto Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:46 pm

Yeah, thats how it works. If you go 13-1, 7-7, and 12-2, your record after 3 weeks will be 32-10. If the next week you go 5-5-4 (ties), your record after 4 weeks will be 37-15-4. I don't think you can change that on Yahoo.

I think you should get rid of doubles and triples, and put in singles, and then add in OBP.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:50 pm

You are correct on the method of getting your record, and no, it is not changable. As for your categories, I've never cared for 3B as a category, or other ones that I consider weekly 'toss-ups' (CGs for Pitchers comes to mind). When the likelihood of winning a category comes down to Team A having 1 and Team B having 0 week in and week out, and that category is worth the same amount as the rest, I don't care for the set up.

I would do away with 2B, 3B, and add R for the batters.
I would do away with BB for the pitchers.
Then you have yourself a pretty nice 6x6 setup.

Good luck, and enjoy being Commish. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby bobs_auto » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:52 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the input. I like the idea of a 6x6 but shouldn't you balance out having K's for hitting with something "negative" on the pitching side? That is why I put in the BB's.

What is everyone's preference between roto and H2H??
bobs_auto Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:31 pm

You don't necessarily need a negative category for both pitchers and hitters.

H2H vs Roto is a debate that's gotten into several times a year. If you use the search function on the forums, you can track down some of the most recent ones. What it comes down to is personal taste. Both are filled with their own Pros and Cons, and everyone interprets those of each differently. The bottom line is, whichever you and your league find more fun is the style for you. My personal preference is H2H.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:59 pm

For 6x6 I would use R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS for hitters and W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB for pitchers. As h0rt mentioned, a few of those categories are a coin flip in a weekly H2H.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:00 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:For 6x6 I would use R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS for hitters and W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB for pitchers. As h0rt mentioned, a few of those categories are a coin flip in a weekly H2H.

If you take this advice then make sure to put in a healthy minimum innings mark. Any time you have a large number of categories that don't require a starting pitcher to win (in this case 2/3 of your pitching categories) you set yourself up for teams to pitch the absolute minimum number of innings to win the category. If I'm up against someone without a closer and I get 2 saves on the first night with 2k's in 2 perfect innings of pitching and then I bench my pitchers for the rest of the week I've got an automatic win in era, whip and k/bb and a win in saves unless my opponent finds some saves on the FA list during the week.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby bobs_auto » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:48 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:For 6x6 I would use R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS for hitters and W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB for pitchers. As h0rt mentioned, a few of those categories are a coin flip in a weekly H2H.

If you take this advice then make sure to put in a healthy minimum innings mark. Any time you have a large number of categories that don't require a starting pitcher to win (in this case 2/3 of your pitching categories) you set yourself up for teams to pitch the absolute minimum number of innings to win the category. If I'm up against someone without a closer and I get 2 saves on the first night with 2k's in 2 perfect innings of pitching and then I bench my pitchers for the rest of the week I've got an automatic win in era, whip and k/bb and a win in saves unless my opponent finds some saves on the FA list during the week.

Good point. What would you call healthy?
25?
bobs_auto Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:00 am

Twentyfiveminimum

sorry...spacebarkeyisbroken

Darnedkids.

Probablygo30thoughtobesafe
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby bobs_auto » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:30 am

Awesome, thanks for the info. I don't know if I can convince everyone to switch to H2H, butI hope so.
Here is a question.....what happens when the minimum innings aren't reached?
bobs_auto Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner