Matt Murton vs Adam Lind - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Murton vs Adam Lind

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Murton vs Adam Lind

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:31 pm

Who has the chance to have the best year this year? And long term who is the better prospect?

I believe Reed Johnson is starting in left for the Blue Jays, with Matt Murton starting in left for the Cubs. So, with a starting job Murton should do better this year I would think. Overall, I believe Lind has a higher ceiling.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:47 pm

I'm not too familiar with Lind but looking at this stats it appears that if given a good number of at bats could put up comparable stats to Murton.

Building off his solid second half of '06 I think Murton is very capable of hitting .300 with 25 homers.

I guess in terms of a redraft league I'd go with Murton simply because he looks to probably get more AB's at this point.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Morrison8312 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:08 pm

Yeah definitely Murton. He's a starter and Lind is more likely to platoon.
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:34 pm

I'm not sure, they are both in platoon situations but Lind has Reed Johnson and Murton has Cliff Floyd, who the Cubs went out and tossed money at in their 'drunken sailor' offseason. I am almost thinking that w/ the Big Hurt (a lot) DHing in TOR it's sort of even odds that Lind might get a shot somehow.

I think Murton's stats are more solid though, as his sample size pwns Linds. I am trying not to be too rah rah about Murton and was actually thinking Lind might be a decent sleeper as he should be available for peanuts.

I think that both of those guys would be worth keeping an eye on though.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:41 pm

I don't think Lind will be in any platoon to start this year. I'm pretty sure the plan is to start him in AAA, they want him to get full PT this year. He'll certainly be up with the team at some point, though. I'd watch the waiver wire when that happens.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:53 pm

I was looking at the Yahoo depth charts for both teams and Tor lists Johnson, Wells, Rios and Lind in the OF, is there anybody else there?

The Cubs, OTOH, have Floyd, Jones, Soriano, Murton, Pie, Angel Pagan all listed, which makes me think that perhaps Lind could 1) be rostered, if only just in case and 2) might be tapped for as much PT as Murton will squeeze out w/ so many guys in the OF at Wrigley. I'm not quite sure that I understand the Floyd signing that well as, while he's a decent player, Murton is a decent player too, and quite a bit cheaper. I dunno...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:41 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I was looking at the Yahoo depth charts for both teams and Tor lists Johnson, Wells, Rios and Lind in the OF, is there anybody else there?

Matt Stairs. I don't relish having to see this guy play defense out there, though it's not like Lind is that impressive in that area either.

AcidRock23 wrote:The Cubs, OTOH, have Floyd, Jones, Soriano, Murton, Pie, Angel Pagan all listed, which makes me think that perhaps Lind could 1) be rostered, if only just in case and 2) might be tapped for as much PT as Murton will squeeze out w/ so many guys in the OF at Wrigley. I'm not quite sure that I understand the Floyd signing that well as, while he's a decent player, Murton is a decent player too, and quite a bit cheaper. I dunno...

Everything I've read over the past few months has indicated that JP doesn't want Lind to be in a platoon role to start the season, and while that would be for the best (Lind starting for the team), I don't expect it to happen.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:46 am

I'd love for them to play Stairs out there ;-D :-D
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:03 am

mweir145 wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:I was looking at the Yahoo depth charts for both teams and Tor lists Johnson, Wells, Rios and Lind in the OF, is there anybody else there?

Matt Stairs. I don't relish having to see this guy play defense out there, though it's not like Lind is that impressive in that area either.

From what I saw of Lind last year, he might actually be a step DOWN from Stairs defensively.. which is saying something.. :-o

The Jays also have Thomas as presumably their everyday DH, so there is no room there either. The best reason to have Lind in the lineup is for his bat, but if JP doesn't want him platooning with Rios then I can't really see him being significant to start the season either.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:09 am

I would say Murton since he will have the starting job but Lind can flat out hit. Long term I would take Lind.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers