Aaron Harang this year?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Aaron Harang this year??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ukjohn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:34 pm

chicksdigdalongball wrote:Sure, good value at 17th round, but by that point in the draft I almost assume take a flyer on a rookie or someone with a couple of off-seasons with solid production in the past.

that makes no sense...top 10 pitcher or a flyer on a rookie :-?
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:55 pm

superslugger616 wrote:yeah but we don't get to draft in the round we keep the player, so say i wanted to keep vlad in the 1st, that means i wouldn't get a draft pick that round....harang's value seems really good only forfeitting a 17th rnd pick

I understand how it works, and I play in 2 leagues that work like this. I'm telling you, pick your best 3 players, regardless of draft round. Unless you have a close call, then you use the draft round as a tie break.

Now, if you believe that Harang is a top 10 pitcher, maybe he IS in your top 3 players. But, using your example, I'd never pass up Vlad for Harang, regardless of what round each one costs.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby superslugger616 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:04 pm

mak1277 wrote:
superslugger616 wrote:yeah but we don't get to draft in the round we keep the player, so say i wanted to keep vlad in the 1st, that means i wouldn't get a draft pick that round....harang's value seems really good only forfeitting a 17th rnd pick

I understand how it works, and I play in 2 leagues that work like this. I'm telling you, pick your best 3 players, regardless of draft round. Unless you have a close call, then you use the draft round as a tie break.

Now, if you believe that Harang is a top 10 pitcher, maybe he IS in your top 3 players. But, using your example, I'd never pass up Vlad for Harang, regardless of what round each one costs.

but the fact that there is a good chance i could get vlad or someone better in the first round doesnt give much value to that keeper...i could never get a pitcher with the quality of harang as late as the 17th unless i got lucky with a prospect. Plus, you can't keep two people from the same round or someone who was kept last year, so that eliminates some possibilities
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby freakshow » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:28 pm

Why does everyone think that his K rate will remain so high? His career numbers don't seem to support it...looks like the 8.3 k/9 is more of the exception than the rule. Other than that, I'm pretty similar to the rest of the projections here 215 ip/14 w/3.8 era/1.25 whip /174 k.

That being said, a 17th for him seems like a pretty good deal. But it depends on who else you've got. I'd probably rather have a young hitter in a late round than a pitcher.
freakshow
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mak1277 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:49 pm

superslugger616 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:

but the fact that there is a good chance i could get vlad or someone better in the first round doesnt give much value to that keeper

If you can, in fact, get someone of Vlad's quality then go for it. It really comes down to who you think the other teams will keep. Just as an example, in my 12-team league like this, every single 1st and second rounder from last year (except for D. Lee) was kept this year. But if you can really get quality with your first round pick, then definitely keep Harang.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:08 pm

If you can, in fact, get someone of Vlad's quality then go for it. It really comes down to who you think the other teams will keep. Just as an example, in my 12-team league like this, every single 1st and second rounder from last year (except for D. Lee) was kept this year. But if you can really get quality with your first round pick, then definitely keep Harang.

If every 1st and 2nd round guy was kept last year, and you expect that to happen again, the correct strategy here is to NOT keep your 1st and 2nd.

You can get them again anyway with your 1st and 2nd picks that you will have (which no one else will have) and you will get better value from your later picks.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:12 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 460)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers