Bump Figgins down in your rankings and wood up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bump Figgins down in your rankings and wood up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bump Figgins down in your rankings and wood up

Postby thedude » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:10 pm

Wood moving to third base
Position change could help the organization's top power prospect get to the majors faster.
By Mike DiGiovanna, Times Staff Writer
11:08 AM PST, February 21, 2007

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Speculation turned to reality Wednesday when the Angels began working shortstop Brandon Wood, the organization's best position-playing and power prospect, at third base, a move that could hasten the 22-year-old's arrival in the big leagues and eventually provide a jolt to the Angels lineup.

"This is really for our benefit and Brandon's benefit," Manager Mike Scioscia said. "If it works out and he can play third, to have that kind of bat coming up and having a position for him could help us.

"We're not giving up on him as a shortstop, and I think that's important; we're very comfortable with his ability there. But right now, as you get up that funnel and get to the big leagues, a lot of times you have to become versatile to get to where you want to be. It's something we're going to look at."

For years, media members, scouts, fans and some Angels executives have looked at Wood's size (6 feet 3, 190 pounds) and power (43 home runs, 51 doubles at Class A in 2005; 25 homers, 42 doubles at double-A in 2006), and the organization's shortstop depth, and projected Wood as a third baseman.

Angels shortstop Orlando Cabrera has two years left on his four-year, $32-million contract, utility infielder Maicer Izturis is a solid shortstop, third baseman Chone Figgins came up as a shortstop, and many believe slick-fielding and speedy triple-A shortstop Erick Aybar is ready for the big leagues now.

Third base has been something of a black hole since the Angels let Troy Glaus walk as a free agent after 2004. Major lower-back and hip injuries have all but eliminated heir apparent Dallas McPherson from the picture. Izturis and Figgins, who spent much of 2005 and 2006 at third, have struggled at times defensively, and the Angels were unable to land top free-agent target Aramis Ramirez this winter.

Figgins will open this season as the team's everyday third baseman, but if Wood shows in exhibition games this spring that he can handle the position, he will probably open 2007 as a third baseman at triple-A, or at least split time between third and short. If he excels at Salt Lake, he would be a candidate for a promotion.

"I'm very open to it," said Wood, whose third-base experience is limited to a few games in rookie ball. "The ball comes at you at a different angle, and the game comes at you a lot quicker, but whatever the call is, wherever they need me, I'm open to it."

Defensive growth at third won't be the only requirement for Wood, the team's first-round pick (23rd overall) in 2003, to reach the major leagues. As prolific a power prospect as Wood is, his strikeout numbers are just as prodigious.

Wood struck out 149 times and walked 54 times in 453 at-bats for double-A Arkansas last season. He struck out 128 times and walked 48 times in 536 at-bats for Class-A Rancho Cucamonga in 2005.

"I know it's something I've had to work on since I signed," Wood said. "I know I need to cut down on my strikeouts and increase my walks, and I've thought about it a lot this off-season.

"For me, it's a matter of maturing as a hitter. Most of my strikeouts have come from not swinging at strikes. I've put myself in too many 0-2 counts. That puts me in a bad position. It's a matter of recognizing bad pitches early and not swinging at them."

Scioscia said Wood's strikeout totals are a function of pitch selection.

"There are a lot of reasons why guys strike out — sometimes they're expanding the zone a little bit and pitchers can exploit that, even at the lower levels. Sometimes guys just have a hole they can't get to. I think with experience, you're going to see the strikeouts drop and the walks continue to rise.

"There are a lot of guys who had a problem in that regard. Mike Schmidt and Matt Williams are two terrific examples at third base of guys who struggled early and figured it out. One's a Hall of Famer, and one had a terrific career. That part of it, I think we're confident Brandon will keep moving in the right direction.

"He has terrific bat speed. As he sees more pitches and starts to recognize his zones and what he needs to do, his stats will reflect that in a positive manner."

mailto:mike.digiovanna@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-an ... nes-sports

Wood will start stealing at bats very soon.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:13 pm

I hope the Angeles will trade Figgins soon :-o
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:16 pm

He is not ready IMO. He K'd 149 times in 118 G at AA. While I am higher on him than most people since his power was still there, it's probably better for him to start off at AAA, get regular ABs and fine tune his hitting. Make the kid earn it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thedude » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:19 pm

Yoda wrote:He is not ready IMO. He K'd 149 times in 118 G at AA. While I am higher on him than most people since his power was still there, it's probably better for him to start off at AAA, get regular ABs and fine tune his hitting. Make the kid earn it.

He already has the big league power and the strikeouts are always going to be a problem. Imagine what he becomes when he fills out his big frame :-L .
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:28 pm

thedude wrote:
Yoda wrote:He is not ready IMO. He K'd 149 times in 118 G at AA. While I am higher on him than most people since his power was still there, it's probably better for him to start off at AAA, get regular ABs and fine tune his hitting. Make the kid earn it.

He already has the big league power and the strikeouts are always going to be a problem. Imagine what he becomes when he fills out his big frame :-L .

Yeah I do like him a lot but honestly, skipping AAA doesn't seem like a good idea for 22 yo kid who is striking out at an alarming rate.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:33 pm

i think they will find at bats for figs somewhere, especially if he hits more like his 2004-2005 self. anderson will get a fair amount of at bats at DH, juan rivera will miss half the season, and gary matthews jr. is, well, gary matthews jr.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:00 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i think they will find at bats for figs somewhere, especially if he hits more like his 2004-2005 self. anderson will get a fair amount of at bats at DH, juan rivera will miss half the season, and gary matthews jr. is, well, gary matthews jr.

yeah thats how i feel too...figgins might lose some 3b abs down the line, but he'll be in there mostly everyday.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:01 pm

Wood is definitely not ready. I don't see him stealing much from Figgins this year.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:24 pm

The Angels would be making a huge mistake by rushing one of their younger studs.
They dont want another dallas mcpherson on our hands.
Let him spend the year in AAA until august then call him up and let him get 90-100 ABs. and then go from there.
sort of like delmon young last year.
but he wont throw a bat at an ump...
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

The dude abides, but yoda is wise

Postby OaklandAllstar » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:25 pm

If the Angels have a couple guys that can play 3rd, why not test Wood in AAA until he can lower his strikeouts? It also might provide time to set up trades for Figgins.
I need more managers for my league. "BassBallers Funk Frenzy" on Rotohog.com
"We've never been in that position. We wouldn't know how to operate, I mean, do we get him a corsage?" -Billy Beane, On a small-market team courting a big-name free agent
OaklandAllstar
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers