My draft in review. Interesting to do. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My draft in review. Interesting to do.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My draft in review. Interesting to do.

Postby ejay508 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:26 pm

My draft in review…. Here is what i was thinking round by round

Coming into the draft I was hoping for the 12th pick just to see what type of talent I could get at the end of round 1. Drafting 12 was great this year. At the end of round 1 I found myself ecstatic to have Crawford but the 2nd choice was a little tricky. I debated between Tex, Hafner, Sizemore, Vlad, and Manny. I elected to go Vlad. His year last year was better than the year before when he went 3rd overall. Coming into the 3rd/4th round I found myself wanting more power. I had average and steals with the first 2 picks but not a lot of power. Aramis was an easy choice for me here and I couldn’t resist a 40 HR bat 120 RBI guy in Konerko. Instantly my offense has power and all the elements to dominate any given week. My philosophy as drafting bats in the first 4 follows by drafting 2 STUD closers in rounds 5 and 6. I was sitting on Mo, Ryan, and Wagner at this point and was hoping that 2 were still available. Mo went and I ended up with Ryan and Wagner. Both have high K potential and are very reliable. After 7 it gets tricky for me. I still wanted bats but knew I needed an ace. I was waiting on lackey and Bonderman , Lackey went and I grabbed Bonderman. His high K potential and apt of getting better every year makes me confident for him as my #1. With the next picked I opted not to get the next best pitcher and fall into that trap but grab another 40 HR bat in Thome to solidify my offense. In rounds 9 and 10 I was looking to grab another closer and an SP. Lidge was my big target but he went and Haren and Young were my others. Young went and I grabbed Haren and Bedard. I wanted a 2B or SS at this point but Kendricks, Barfield, Drew, Renatria, and Phillips were all still available and figured I would wait and take the left over. Kendicks and Rent went and I grabbed Drew and Barfield in the 11th and 12th. Preparing for the 13th and 14th I knew I needed some more SP’s, a closer, C and an OF. I was eyeing up Erivin Sanatna, Rich Harden, Piazza, Mike Gonzales, Martin, Rich Hill, Boroski, and Valverde. Santana, Harden, Piazza, Gonzales and Hill all went and I grabbed Martin and John Patterson. In Rounds 15 and 16 I like to grab some young sleepers but there was still too much talent out there for me to start digging, there was no need for it. Looking for a 3rd closer, another OF, and more SPs I found myself thinking about Alex Gordon, Dotel, Blalock, and Eric Chavez. Gordon went and Dotel went the pick before me so I ended up taking Cliff Lee and Jonny Gomes. Lee adds to my overwhelming young talented starting staff and Gomes is a risk but for a 3rd OF isn’t so bad and his April before his injury was amazing. With all positions covered it was time to build a bench, solidify pitching, and find another closer. With Blalock still available in the 17th I was eyeing him up all set to take him when he was grabbed, same with Ian Snell. So in the 17th I took a chance on Bonds and grabbed the 27-year-old Chad Tracy to add some bats to my bench. I thought about Hermida here but felt the other bats could offer me more. All set to take my sleeper closer in the 19th when he was taken (Solomon Torres). At this point all closers were gone and I came to the realization that my big 2 would have to do for now. The last 3 rounds I grabbed some young pitchers to add to my staff: Pelfry (19), McCarthy (20), Homer Bailey (21). I had fun with my first draft and think my team is extremely solid. Thoughts?

C- Martin
1B- Konerko
2B- Barfield
SS- Drew
3B- A-Ram/ Tracy
OF- Crawford
OF- Vlad
OF- Gomes/ Bonds

SPs
Bonerman
Haren
Bedard
Cliff Lee
Patterson
Pelfry
McCarthy
Bailey

CLosers
BJ Ryan
ejay508
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jtrain19 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:30 pm

pretty good team.. bailey is not needed yet.. he would have went undrafted, unless this is a keeper, i dont remember reading it was.. so maybe find someone else unless he makes the rotation right out of ST ... good luck

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=252128
jtrain19
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team