Better Cat, K's or K/9 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better Cat, K's or K/9

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Better Cat, K's or K/9

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:29 am

I was thinking K/9 might be better and a good tool from people abusing the ability to start as many pitchers as possible. I think it's kind of lame when categories can be won simply by loading up on starts, even though other ratio stats like WHIP and ERA do help deture it, it certainly is still out there.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Apollo_Creed » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:53 am

I like K/9, but make sure you have a higher minimum innings if it is H2H. It would be easy to take 4 of 5 pitching categories with only relievers if it was W S K/9 ERA and Whip, and the minimum innings was the standard 7.
Apollo_Creed
T-Ball Trainer

Postby shmolex » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:20 am

Apollo_Creed wrote:I like K/9, but make sure you have a higher minimum innings if it is H2H. It would be easy to take 4 of 5 pitching categories with only relievers if it was W S K/9 ERA and Whip, and the minimum innings was the standard 7.

It's not as easy as you might think. A guy in my league tried this last year and it backfired on him horribly. With such a small sample size of innings, 1 bad inning will doom you for the week.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:55 am

I like that idea, but you can also prevent people from loading up on starts by placing an innings limit. Then if they load up too much on Sp they run out of innings at the end of the year.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby number9 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:58 am

It's all about balance. K will increase value of starters while K/9 will increase value of relievers (typically), so choose how you want your league's players to be valued. I like controlling player values through pure cat selection rather than in combination with criteria like max/min IP, max moves, etc. Seems more elegant (but you'd have to be careful not to leave easily exploitable loopholes.)
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tms298 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:41 am

A high minimum innings pitched (30-40) along with K/9 works well. This basically requires you to have 3-5 starts along with your typical bullpen work. It places a premium on strong, deep starting pitching (the first round will still be all hitters except Johan, but there will be starters taken late second/early thrid in a 12 team league).
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:44 am

shmolex wrote:
Apollo_Creed wrote:I like K/9, but make sure you have a higher minimum innings if it is H2H. It would be easy to take 4 of 5 pitching categories with only relievers if it was W S K/9 ERA and Whip, and the minimum innings was the standard 7.

It's not as easy as you might think. A guy in my league tried this last year and it backfired on him horribly. With such a small sample size of innings, 1 bad inning will doom you for the week.
Well, we had 15 as our min, and a buddy of mine managed to get to the finals with this using only closers and top-teir relievers.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:53 am

George_Foreman wrote:
shmolex wrote:

Well, we had 15 as our min, and a buddy of mine managed to get to the finals with this using only closers and top-teir relievers.

I did the same thing. I had 2 Good starters and i had top closers and relievers and then added guys like Paps who i could play at SP when my starters didn't go. I always won ERA and Whip and Saves, and most times won K's. Occasionaly won W b/c i could get W from guys lik Shields
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:08 am

Niffoc4 wrote:I like that idea, but you can also prevent people from loading up on starts by placing an innings limit. Then if they load up too much on Sp they run out of innings at the end of the year.

Unfortunately Yahoo doesn't have a weekly cap on innings.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:23 am

Why not just set up a rule that you can't start more than 10 starts a week or something?

If you already have ERA and WHIP, then I wouldn't want to have another ratio as a category but that's just me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers