Try this one: GIDP League (Advice?) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Try this one: GIDP League (Advice?)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mike_nyc » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:48 pm

Worthless Category....You cant alter draft rankings on something like a gidp...too unpredictable, too stupid...Maybe for pitchers u would want a ground ball pitcher...but me personally, im going for the strikeout guy anyway (ie; oswalt over webb)

The guy with the most gidp was at 28 last year..not a big enough factor to alter rankings...pujols had 20 himself, you grabben anyone over him?
Mike_nyc
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Subversive » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:29 pm

decktard wrote:Basically the final standings for that stat came down to a couple random GIDP.

Exactly. Worthless stat.
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:43 pm

That is truly a horrible cat to play with...take out GIDP, CG, E, all of that crap, and get back to basics.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JakeTrain72 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:20 pm

I play in a league that uses GIDP for pitching. It is a wildcard category and most people are not into it. I like the stat because it is conteractive to low WHIP and high Ks. That is, pitchers that don't allow many baserunners (low WHIP) usually correlate to low GIDP. Same mentality for K pitchers. So having this as a cat forces managers to either punt it, or use guys that are not as good in the usual 5x5 cats in order compete in GIDP's. IMO it adds a small degree of strategy and is fun. In H2H when facing a team with much better overall pitching, you are likely to lose most or all cats with Wins being fairly random. If you throw GIDP guys and get enough wins, you could take 2 of 6 cats with much less talented pitching.

It does affect rankings of several pitchers. Webb goes early regardless, and should be a top 5 SP in your league. Lowe should move up considerably based on where he is going in most 5x5 rankings. Also a guy you will want to target late that is going undrafted in many leagues is Jake Westbrook. This cat also balances out a Chin Ming Wang who will drop due to low Ks, but with GIDP he is worth bumping up or not bumping down as much anyway.

Overall though you don't change your rankings too much, just use it when trying to decide between similar pitchers.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hot4tx » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:54 pm

In leagues that use an extra category, remember that they are as valuable as any other category. Basically think about the effect that playing in a 4x4 versus a 5x5 (no SBs) has on Carl Crawford's value. So I definitely don't think you "punt" this. I mean you should use everything you can to gain any little edge. Ignoring this category for hitters is being too lazy to look for the little edge it might give you.

When trying to project hitters GIDP, instead of just using last years you should use 3 years or so to average out the ups and downs. I would bet there are pretty big swings in hitters GIDP from one year to the next. Also maybe using an average GIDP/AB number for each batter and then applying it to your 2007 projected ABs would make sure you're not giving a guy extra credit for not hitting into DPs when in actuallity they just missed half a season or something.

As far as how much to adjust them, first look at how much the GIDP swings from year to year. I imagine it's quite a bit. If this is the case then realise that while you can identify good GIDP guys and bad GIDP guys, you don't have much precision on projecting it. So I would just take the best 10% guys for GIDP and move them up slightly. However, I would take the worst GIDP monsters and move them down significantly.

Like playing with E as a category, you mostly just want to avoid drafting those hitters that absolutely kill you in that category. You should be able to do this without skewing your overall rankings that much (basically just moving 10-15 guys). So you shouldn't "hurt" your other offensive categories that much. Let the other guys ignore it and draft a couple GIDP monsters and then you'll win an extra category each week.

Oh also one more thing.... remember that since this is a negative catagory for your hitters, plugging in backup guys may not be as helpfull as it normally would. Typically these cheap backup positional players don't hit for as good of an average and/or don't produce very well in the positive stats. So you have to look at that to see if it's worth it to pick up backups to get extra games in during the week. However it's a positive category for pitchers so you may consider rotating in a few more of the lower-tier SPs to help you in W, K and GIDP (3 positive stats instead of the normal 2 for SP) versus how much they might hurt you in ERA and WHIP.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:35 pm

Mauer takes a huge (well, not really HUGE) hit. I guess Wang would actually be worth something in this league.
Member #4 Of "The Official Zack Greinke Fan Club"
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers