Try this one: GIDP League (Advice?) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Try this one: GIDP League (Advice?)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Try this one: GIDP League (Advice?)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:27 pm

Howdy,

My H2H league is integrating a GIDP category this year. Last year, in batting, we used the E category as the extra, and in pitching we used CG. This year, we're using GIDP for both batters and pitchers.

How should this affect my draft rankings? Can you think of any glaring shifts?

Obviously, Tejada, Young, VMart, and Konerko should take hits on rankings, but how much of a hit should they take? What rounds?

This and any other advice is most appreciated.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BGbootha » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:31 pm

Simple, stop using worthless cats....

But I don't see how GIDP is going to affect your rankings, you may want to look at a couple of equal guys and pick the faster one. Or look for someone who is hitting behind someone who doesn't usually get on base.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:42 pm

Ooh... I doubt GIDP should be considered a useless cat. It adds an intangible to pitching (we have the cat twice, one for batting, one for pitching), and gives a bit more oomph to speed guys.

I'm really looking for advice on how to shift my rankings, and how far to shift them. The way to figure out the correct guys to shift, is simply to sort them by most/least GIDPs last season. I've done that.

I'm looking for advice on how much to shift.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:56 pm

GIDP is probably not the best category to balance out power/speed. Maybe K or 3B as an extra category? Speedy guys tend to make better contact and K less. Also get more 3B.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Super Manny » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:10 pm

Honestly, I'd probably punt the category as far as hitters are concerned and go with the best available value. I imagine other managers in your league might pay too much attention to GIDP and bypass some superior overall talents for guys with low double play totals from last season.

Pitchers are much easier to adjust values on. Guys like Brandon Webb, Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Derek Lowe, Jeremy Bonderman who are noted groundball pitchers should move up in your rankings.

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby clarence worley » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:36 pm

Super Manny wrote:Honestly, I'd probably punt the category as far as hitters are concerned and go with the best available value. I imagine other managers in your league might pay too much attention to GIDP and bypass some superior overall talents for guys with low double play totals from last season.

Pitchers are much easier to adjust values on. Guys like Brandon Webb, Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Derek Lowe, Jeremy Bonderman who are noted groundball pitchers should move up in your rankings.

I think that's some pretty solid advice.
clarence worley
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Super Manny » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:05 am

clarence worley wrote:
Super Manny wrote:Honestly, I'd probably punt the category as far as hitters are concerned and go with the best available value. I imagine other managers in your league might pay too much attention to GIDP and bypass some superior overall talents for guys with low double play totals from last season.

I think that's some pretty solid advice.

Thanks. ;-D

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:25 am

I use GIDP for pitchers simply to try and give a somewhat balancing out to K's. While it doesn't directly add equal value to non-strikeout pitchers, guys that get pop flys and such, it does let a guy like Roy Halladay get a little closer to Johan, although certainly still in different worlds.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby decktard » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:10 pm

I tried it last year and didn't like it. Seemed too random of a stat and the pitchers really didn't accumulate enough for it really to make a difference. You're talking about 15 GIDP per starting pitcher on average. It really doesn't balance high K pitchers out all that much either because you've got guys like Bonderman who had 200 Ks and 20 GIDP.

So a few weeks into the season you really don't wind up caring about GIDP because they'll come. The pitchers who you'd think would have a higher GIDP aren't necessarily worth the trouble for 5 extra GIDP.

In our league the high team had 123. Everyone else had 100 +- a handful of GIDP. Basically the final standings for that stat came down to a couple random GIDP.
decktard
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:27 pm

Yoda wrote:GIDP is probably not the best category to balance out power/speed. Maybe K or 3B as an extra category? Speedy guys tend to make better contact and K less. Also get more 3B.

Agreed. I love playing in leagues that count triples. ;-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers