XM Sirius merger (Merged) :) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

XM Sirius merger (Merged) :)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

XM Sirius merger (Merged) :)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:58 pm

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5259756

Not sure what the effect is but I assume MLB would then be available on Sirius ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:44 pm

Well the price of XM and sirus will likely increase.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby EricF » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:50 pm

By the time the merger gets through regulatory approval (if it does), I expect the 2007 MLB season will be over. Good news for XM subscribers ;-D , but not so good for Sirius subscribers. I agree that the price will probably increase, although if the two companies get together they should be able to save some costs through getting rid of redundant personnel. I wonder if I should prepay for some years to lock in my current price :-? ?
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:54 pm

EricF wrote:By the time the merger gets through regulatory approval (if it does), I expect the 2007 MLB season will be over. Good news for XM subscribers ;-D , but not so good for Sirius subscribers. I agree that the price will probably increase, although if the two companies get together they should be able to save some costs through getting rid of redundant personnel. I wonder if I should prepay for some years to lock in my current price :-? ?

I think its good for me as a sirius subscriber!! I get MLB now!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:57 pm

Yeah. Why on earth would this not be good for Sirius subscribers? The only thing of any worth on XM is the baseball channels. I've been coveting them for some time, and now I'm going to have them along with all my great Sirius channels! :-)
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:59 pm

As long as they don't make me buy a new radio and make me pay more for the LIFETIME subscription I got in '05...I have no problem with it. Bring on the baseball says I! ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby madmax391 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:55 pm

Yea, I can't imagine prices rising ;-7

I've been on XM for 2+ years and I've never gotten off the baseball chanels.
madmax391
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:03 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:As long as they don't make me buy a new radio and make me pay more for the LIFETIME subscription I got in '05...I have no problem with it. Bring on the baseball says I! ;-D

I am betting your lifetime contract might be refunded.

I have heard estimates that the new company would charge as much as $20 a month.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:14 pm

thedude wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:As long as they don't make me buy a new radio and make me pay more for the LIFETIME subscription I got in '05...I have no problem with it. Bring on the baseball says I! ;-D

I am betting your lifetime contract might be refunded.

I have heard estimates that the new company would charge as much as $20 a month.

More like $25 most likely... :-P

I personally don't like the idea of them making one company out of this because they will be able to set the price and make people pay it to get what they want. They could also make it like cable and have separate tiers of service...something else I really don't want. All I want to do is keep my lifetime sub and listen to whatever is on Sirius right now. If they let me hear XM stuff too, fine. I just don't feel like paying more for something they decided to do because they didn't want to hack it on their own. :-[

I have about 3 years to go to get to the break even point in what I paid at once vs. what I would pay per month...if they end up refunding my lifetime subscription, I might just say forget it and not re-sign up. There are plenty of ways I can hear music on the internet and through MP3's. :,-(

Anyway, on topic...they'd probably put the MLB stuff on a sports package with all the other sports and charge you $5 a month for it...that would be a pain.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Hobbes » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:31 pm

As a Sirius subscriber I'm psyched about the possibility of getting the MLB content. But I'd be pretty unhappy about a $20-25 price tag.

Given the difficulties in convincing millions of radio listeners to pay for something they currently get for free, I can't see how they could increase the price if they want to continue to grow.

Instead, I would imagine they would try to get profitable through cost and overhead reductions and attracting new subscribers rather than increasing the rates to the existing subscriber base.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to General Talk