How do you stop teams from tanking in keeper leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How do you stop teams from tanking in keeper leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:54 am

mak1277 wrote:One of my leagues is a money league, but the bottom 5 (out of 12) pay a "fine" for finishing in the bottom of the league. Last place pays the most. Definitely an incentive to stay competetive at the end.

Wow. Disincentives can definitely be motivators. I'd actually be worried that your rule would result in cheating.

:-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby mak1277 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:45 am

StlSluggers wrote:
mak1277 wrote:One of my leagues is a money league, but the bottom 5 (out of 12) pay a "fine" for finishing in the bottom of the league. Last place pays the most. Definitely an incentive to stay competetive at the end.

Wow. Disincentives can definitely be motivators. I'd actually be worried that your rule would result in cheating.

How so? I guess I don't know how it would be much different from any other money league, except in this one the "middle" group of teams just doesn't pay anything out.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:47 am

mak1277 wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

How so? I guess I don't know how it would be much different from any other money league, except in this one the "middle" group of teams just doesn't pay anything out.

I'm not saying it would definitely cause cheating. I'm just saying that I can see certain types of owners taking drastic steps to stay out of that group.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:01 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

I'm not saying it would definitely cause cheating. I'm just saying that I can see certain types of owners taking drastic steps to stay out of that group.

Would it be much different from someone taking drastic steps to get into the group that gets paid?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby converge241 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:39 pm

lottery for the bottom few picks as previously said

penalties for last place

pre payment for following years
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 121)

Postby gfantasy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:47 pm

Here's what we do (direct from our constitution)...

5.6 Draft Lottery and Order: Draft order will be determined via a lottery system. At the conclusion of the season, the 8 teams that fail to qualify for the playoffs will each have an opportunity to secure one of the top three draft picks in the following season’s draft. Each team will be awarded lottery entries as follows:

Place in standings Number of Entries Chance of Winning 1st Pick
5 1 1.1%
6 4 4.3%
7 7 7.6%
8 10 10.9%
9 13 14.1%
10 16 17.4%
11 19 20.7%
Worst 22 23.9%
TOTAL ENTRIES 92

Each entry will consist of a ball with an owner’s name affixed to it. All 92 balls will be placed into the Draft Order software program (http://www.draftorder.com/) and a non-involved owner (one who qualified for the playoffs) or other third party will select three balls – one for the first, second and third overall picks. The fourth pick will be awarded to the non-lottery-winning owner with the worst record. The remaining order will be determined by the traditional method, by reversing the previous year’s final standings. As has been the case in prior years, the previous year’s champion selects twelfth and the runner-up selects eleventh.

In the event that multiple owners have the same record, for the purpose of determining lottery and/or draft order, the owner with the fewer total number of points in the previous season will be given priority.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:46 am

I'd rather not have the 1st pick in a keeper league, at that stage, i'd rather have two picks closer to each other earlier than later. I'm also one that thinks that draft position isn't too important, the snake evens everything out in the end.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

pay per category as well as overall.

Postby mu_biggie » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:58 pm

Our league is a 12 team 5x5 roto league. We pay the top three spots in the league. Additionally, we also pay for winning a category. It seems that the someone winning saves, steals, etc. would always be at the bottom of the league and eventually would trade the player that was leading them in said category. Once we started paying for categories we had less selling at the trade dead line. Its not perfect but it slow the intentional losing for the first pick in some cases.
mu_biggie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:07 pm

Two ways you can attempt to do this...

Say you have a standard 12-team keeper league where the top 6 make the playoffs...

Have a lottery system for the draft, where the 7th place team gets 5, 6th gets 4, and so on, and last gets 1 'ball' (or in this case, slip of paper with their name on it) for drawing the 1st pick in the draft.

Or, if it's a money league, have your fee structure such that the weakest teams in the league pay the most, and the best pay the least.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby Trojan Pony » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:04 pm

commence8 wrote:In my 16-team keeper league, we have 2 playoff brackets. The bottom 8 teams are in the consolation bracket.

The winner of the consolation bracket gets 1st pick, 2nd place of the consolation bracket gets the 2nd pick. The other teams in the consolation bracket are guaranteed at least a top 8 pick.

The teams in the championship playoff bracket are guaranteed that they won't get any better then the 9th pick in next year's draft.

This system does not promote tanking, because if you tank, you won't do good in the consolation bracket. However, it doesn't hurt the worst teams (if they tanked or not) because they are still guaranteed at least the #8 pick.

I'm just starting a keeper league this year and I've been thinking how I'm going to seed the draft next year. I like this method a lot. I was going to do a lottery where 16th place gets 16 entries into the draft lottery, 15th gets 15, etc., 1st place gets 1...and then pick out of a hat to determine the order. But realistically the bottom few teams in a 16-team league are going to be guys who didn't try that hard and I don't like the idea of rewarding managers like that with a better chance at a high draft pick. Instead I think I'll do what you said...have the winner of the consolation bracket get first pick with the rest of the consolation bracket following in order of finish, followed by the championship bracket in reverse order of finish (1st place gets last pick). I also like this method because it makes the consolation bracket more exciting than simply a competition for 7th place.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner