Colleges - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Colleges

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:23 pm

bceagles04 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:I'm starting to hear back from schools as well. So far I am 2/2, I have been accepted at both University of Vermont, and Fairfield. Both of those were kidna safeties for me, and Georgetown is far and away my #1. I'm really nervous about that one.

As far as DC schools, I rank them like this:

Georgetown

American
GW
UMD

I actually liked American a lot when I visited back in October, but Georgetown blew everything else away.


UVM is a great school and an amazing location.

Fairfield is really nice as well. My friend went there and loved it


How big of a party school is UVM? I've heard its absolutely nuts to the point that no one gives a crap about school...how true is that?


Burlington in general is a free spirited college town.

Oh and Montreal, 18 year old drinking and strippers, is only 1 1/2 hours away.

I've never heard of it as a huge party school.

Its beautiful in the summer and wicked cold in the winter like the rest of NE.

YOu can ski, boat, enjoy excellent beer, and do it with hippy chicks and dirty canadians.

BTW montreal is the coolest city I've ever been to ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby RyanK » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:44 am

acsguitar wrote:I've never heard of it as a huge party school.


really? its not a "party school" more of a "stoner" school.. i mean it is vermont..

If you go there be prepared to freeze your ass off though, but my friend who went there for a year had a good time, it was just too costly for him


As for my view on college (being a freshman myself). I didnt do well first semester, had a lot of things go not the way i wanted. I wasnt enjoying it, thinking of dropping out. 2nd semesters going better, but still not the best. Im having a great time and meeting great people, just school work and going toclass isnt for me, as well as some bad habits im trying to kick that college doesnt help
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 2839
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:10 pm

RyanK wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I've never heard of it as a huge party school.


really? its not a "party school" more of a "stoner" school.. i mean it is vermont..

If you go there be prepared to freeze your ass off though, but my friend who went there for a year had a good time, it was just too costly for him


As for my view on college (being a freshman myself). I didnt do well first semester, had a lot of things go not the way i wanted. I wasnt enjoying it, thinking of dropping out. 2nd semesters going better, but still not the best. Im having a great time and meeting great people, just school work and going toclass isnt for me, as well as some bad habits im trying to kick that college doesnt help


Yea its a stoner school and very cold in the winter.

But again cold weather means women want to get nice and drunk and warm
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby suppasonic » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:54 am

Update!

Accepted: NYU, Lehigh, Carnegie-Mellon, Michigan, Notre Dame
Rejected: Penn
Waitlisted: Northwestern, Georgetown, Cornell, Duke, WashU, and UVA

Going to....................................





NYU!

I'll send an e-mail to Minaya telling him I'll be replacing him in 4 years.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 1321
Joined: 8 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Over thurr.

Postby j24jags » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:40 am

suppasonic wrote:Update!

Accepted: NYU, Lehigh, Carnegie-Mellon, Michigan, Notre Dame
Rejected: Penn
Waitlisted: Northwestern, Georgetown, Cornell, Duke, WashU, and UVA

Going to....................................





NYU!

I'll send an e-mail to Minaya telling him I'll be replacing him in 4 years.

Congrats ;-D
That list actually looks eerily similar to the schools I'm considering for my applications next year lol. Except maybe throw in Vandberilt/Emory and take out Penn/ND. That is seriously my list then lol. I'm going to shoot you a PM if you don't mind with some questions.
Image
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10340
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby decoy562 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:31 am

eftda wrote:College is overrated. It’s an easy way to destroy your 20's and early 30's. My brother will be in debt for the next 10 years because of student loans. I don't see the point of spending $120,000+ for a college education. Don't get me wrong; the education is well worth it. The friends you make and the experiences you go through are important. I'm paying around $10,000 for my college education. That’s not including my rent or food. I wont be in debt win I get out, that was my one goal for college. I went to a Jr. College, got my AA and found out what major I wanted. I then transferred to the local state college. My question to everyone who went to a 4 year and had a debt is; would you do it again? Is my logic flawed? Matt Damon in Good will hunting said it best; "Your going to wake up one day and realize you could have gotten the same education for $1.50 in library late fees."


I wouldn't say college is overrated, but I would say many people pay too much. I could have gone to a bigger (and more expensive school), but I chose to go to a state university for engineering. I am now going to a second state university part-time for my MBA. I paid my way through my undergrad by working part-time, and I graduated with no debt. I now pay cash for each semester for my MBA.

I had a co-worker who left to go to Harvard. She is excited about making $120k a year when she graduates. I asked her how much she'll owe, and she said $120k! I told her that I'll make $90k and won't owe a thing. I feel like I got the better deal. I'd rather make a little less and owe nothing.

Not that their is anything wrong with Harvard or any other top school, I just don't like owing that much money.
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 565
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikhayl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:14 am

eftda wrote:College is overrated. It’s an easy way to destroy your 20's and early 30's. My brother will be in debt for the next 10 years because of student loans. I don't see the point of spending $120,000+ for a college education. Don't get me wrong; the education is well worth it. The friends you make and the experiences you go through are important. I'm paying around $10,000 for my college education. That’s not including my rent or food. I wont be in debt win I get out, that was my one goal for college. I went to a Jr. College, got my AA and found out what major I wanted. I then transferred to the local state college. My question to everyone who went to a 4 year and had a debt is; would you do it again? Is my logic flawed? Matt Damon in Good will hunting said it best; "Your going to wake up one day and realize you could have gotten the same education for $1.50 in library late fees."


That's quite cynical. The purpose of a college education is not necessarily to get a job or even find out what you want to do with your life. Many people enjoy studying for the sake of personal improvement and many more people have a real passion for a particular subject (that may or may not be completely useless). Dedicating 4 years of life to a single academic pursuit is personally redeeming for a lot of people. Attending a 4 year college is also a great opportunity to meet like minded people who are similarly passionate.

I'm glad that I "wasted" a small fortune studying something as useless as music. I improved myself, met some great people and my education gave me a huge edge in every job interview I've ever had over other cookie cutter finance majors.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 839
Joined: 9 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby bceagles04 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:45 am

eftda, fine education costs so much because it is something no one can ever take from you. As big of a whole you may dig for yourself, you will always take with you what you learn.

Now whether one chooses to spend $50K a year at George Washington or $10K at the local state school is a totally different matter. I feel like you may be getting a finer four years with $200K, however you get MUCH better value with $40K, as the difference shouldn't be THAT vast.
Image
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3089
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at my computer

Postby Dislexic Irishman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:06 pm

j24jags wrote:
suppasonic wrote:Update!

Accepted: NYU, Lehigh, Carnegie-Mellon, Michigan, Notre Dame
Rejected: Penn
Waitlisted: Northwestern, Georgetown, Cornell, Duke, WashU, and UVA

Going to....................................





NYU!

I'll send an e-mail to Minaya telling him I'll be replacing him in 4 years.

Congrats ;-D
That list actually looks eerily similar to the schools I'm considering for my applications next year lol. Except maybe throw in Vandberilt/Emory and take out Penn/ND. That is seriously my list then lol. I'm going to shoot you a PM if you don't mind with some questions.

wow. I thought I applied to a lot of schools. Those application fees add up quick.
Dislexic Irishman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1233
Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AEMRICH » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:38 pm

acsguitar wrote:
RyanK wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I've never heard of it as a huge party school.


really? its not a "party school" more of a "stoner" school.. i mean it is vermont..

If you go there be prepared to freeze your ass off though, but my friend who went there for a year had a good time, it was just too costly for him


As for my view on college (being a freshman myself). I didnt do well first semester, had a lot of things go not the way i wanted. I wasnt enjoying it, thinking of dropping out. 2nd semesters going better, but still not the best. Im having a great time and meeting great people, just school work and going toclass isnt for me, as well as some bad habits im trying to kick that college doesnt help


Yea its a stoner school and very cold in the winter.

But again cold weather means women want to get nice and drunk and warm


I'm actually transfering to UVM from the school i'm at right now. I'm from Vermont and i was going to go there last year but i was offered a better scholarship somewhere else. I have a couple of friends at UVM and they all say that everyone is big into drugs. I know a couple years ago they were in the top 10 of party schools. The way i understand it though is that the school is trying to clean up there act. One of my friends said that it is tough to find a party because a lot of cops are always looking for them so they get busted pretty fast. Whoever is going to UVM drop me a line
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 943
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 8 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(1:35 pm)
Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(4:05 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:25 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(9:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact