Informative speech on Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Informative speech on Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Informative speech on Fantasy Baseball

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:56 pm

Ive got an informative speech due next week. I was thinking of doing it on Fantasy Baseball.

Here are the guidelines.

PURPOSE: The purpose of the Informative Speech assignment is to inform the audience about a topic of interest to you. It does interest me! You may describe a process, a procedure, an event or object, define a term, or explain how something works or operates. I can do thatThe goal of an informative speech is to create awareness about your subject matter and to increase the audience’s knowledge concerning some aspect of your topic. guess that could happen

TOPIC: All topics must be cleared with your instructor. Make sure your topic meets the criteria of “the 3 Ns:” new, notable, and narrow. NEW: provide your audience with NEW information. Your topic should be unique or provide a new angle on a topic that students might have heard before. It would be New to most people but not everyone NOTABLE: Choose a topic that is noteworthy in some way. Is it noteworthy? NARROW: Choose a topic that you could reasonably discuss within the time limit. I could talk about a specific type of FBB, roto keeper league?? World War II is of great relevance, and students are likely to not know many aspects behind the war, but you won’t be able to discuss it fully in one speech. Thus, you would need to narrow your topic to something more manageable, such as events during D-Day.

I think explaining fantasy baseball would be a pretty easy topic to discuss. I'm terrible with writing speeches, but this should not be too hard.

I was just wondering if anyone else has done something like this.

Thanks
Kyle
[/b]
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:00 am

The chicks will be lining up left and right after that speech. :-D

Good luck!

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:05 am

Tavish wrote:The chicks will be lining up left and right after that speech. :-D

Good luck!

I'm already in the class with all freshmen... put this Public Speaking class off till my last(5th) year. Just want to graduate now, the ladies stand in line all they want.

I totally bombed my first speech, had to talk about rainbow colored flip flops....
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:33 am

The only hole I could think of is that it is, to a certain degree, analogous to spending your whole spring/ summer/ fall on what amounts to a coin flip. A coin w/ many sides but still a coin.

I would go for it though, it's an interesting topic.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:10 pm

It is definitely noteworthy since fantasy sports in general is in a golden era thanks to the Internet. More so with Fantasy Football, but I meet people all the time who play fantasy sports that strike me funny; for instance a 50+ year old secretary. So fantasy sports went from being a cult phenomenon to a socially accepted game. This has all happened recently so I think that covers new and notable.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BravesGuy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:14 am

Thanks guys. Ill probably ask for a little help when I start writing the speech. Need to decide whether I want to explain how to play FBB or maybe something about the history of it going from pretty much only hardcore guys keeping score with Microsoft Word to thousands of people playing each other via the www.

Ill let yall know. Thanks again

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaQ » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:32 am

I actually did a speech for my public speaking class on fantasy baseball back in 11th grade. :*)

I basically just went over the general rules, types of scoring systems, keepers, etc. Afterwards, people in the class started to ask me for their advice on trades and sleepers and other things like that.

The speech didn't net me any chicks (not that there were any attractive ones in the class anyway :-t ) but it did net me an A+ ;-D
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:01 pm

Start off with something really gratifying:

If only I had known what the fantasy baseball gods had in store for Randy Johnson last season. This is the life of a fantasy baseball player. Dominant one year, horrible the next. This is fantasy baseball.

I'm sure the crowd would be on the edge of their seats after that :-D ;-D
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:46 pm

Another interesting tidbit to start with and provide some fantasy meets reality mojo might be some of the bits in Fantasyland where author Sam Walker, using his Wall Street Journal access, talks to David Ortiz about trading David Ortiz and suffers remorse when, while talking to Jacques Jones w/ his copy of Baseball Forecaster under his arm, Jones grabs the book and, of course, makes a beeline for his own entry... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk