Pierzynski traded - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pierzynski traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:15 am

Yikes wrote:Mauer has nice potential but look at the short-term. :-?

Matt LeCroy had argueably better numbers than A.J. last year and should be the one taken notice.

Shhhhh......Some of us are watching LeCroy's situation very closely. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:45 am

Here's what I found on Mauer:

Joe Mauer - C - Minnesota Twins Nov 14

With A.J. Pierzynski getting traded, Joe Mauer is expected to get a chance to compete a starting job next spring.
As long as Mauer has a decent spring, he'll probably be Minnesota's catcher. Even though he doesn't have major league power yet, he could be worth $8-$10 as a rookie. By 2005, he should be an All-Star. If Mauer ends up struggling in the spring, the Twins could go with Matthew LeCroy at the start of the year. Rob Bowen is expected to make the team as a backup whether Mauer is on the Opening Day roster or not.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:26 pm

Madison wrote:

Matt LeCroy had argueably better numbers than A.J. last year and should be the one taken notice.

If I remember right the Twins weren't too big on LeCroy's catching skills. Besides if he finds a way into the lineup and doesn't have to be behind the plate getting banged up, doesn't that help his value?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:33 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Madison wrote:

If I remember right the Twins weren't too big on LeCroy's catching skills. Besides if he finds a way into the lineup and doesn't have to be behind the plate getting banged up, doesn't that help his value?

True. A lot of people will overlook LeCroy's catcher eligibility status next year. He could be a nice sleeper. I hope all the press stays on Mauer, but that LeCroy gets regular playing time. Even if it means that he's behind the plate.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby M_Zimm » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:21 pm

I kind of like the baseball cafe on the offseason. It helps getting news and not getting mixed up in all the "roster help" threads.

I am new here, but I am a life-long Twins fan so here is my opinion:

The Twins have very little intentions on starting LeCroy at catcher. I think LeCroy is a very good DH, but I don't think he has much skill at catcher. I saw him play a couple of his games and he didn't look too good playing. He can hit well, but I don't think you want him on your team unless you play a DH. I do think Mauer has a lot of potential. Go look at the last like 5 guys who have won the minor league player of the year award. They have all come up and done good. He really has to do good, because I know for one that some aren't happy that the Twins didn't take Prior at number 1 instead of Mauer. Prior would look so good in our roatation with Johan and Milton...oh, and Radke :-P

As to the pitchers, I really think they got them because they know that they aren't going to be risigning Guardado or Hawk. Those two were our best two relief pitchers and they are going to want a lot of money. Right now the owner really doesn't want to spend any money on the Twins because he wants to sell them and get rid of them. I think that is part of the reason he got rid of AJ, to free up some money. I don't know a whole lot about those pitchers, but Nathan's stats are pretty good. I think he could help, but I also think we got ripped. AJ hits .312 has ability to hit the long ball and plays gold glove type cather. I think he is a all-star caliber player.

I may be biased, actually I am, but I think I will look for Mauer as a sleeper in my first ever draft.
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:26 pm

Zimm, as long as LeCroy is in the lineup everyday, he's probably going to be worth a shot on a fantasy team. He's already got catcher eligibility next year. He doesn't have to catch a single game this year, and you can play him in your catcher position the entire season. IF LeCroy gets regular playing time, I expect him to be taken in most leagues that have at least 12 teams.

Just something to think about. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby M_Zimm » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:29 pm

Oh, ok thanks mad. I didn't know you could get a guy and play him at a position if he isn't actually playing that position that day. I guess that would make more sense since it would be hard to know when a guy is playing. He does play DH most of the time. He might switch with Morneau and Ford a little bit, but he plays a lot. I do want to know one thing about fantasy bseball, how do you do your linups? There are 162 games and it is impossible to know if a guy will play or not, so do you just have to sit on MLB.com and see who is playing and go quick change your linup?
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:42 pm

M_Zimm wrote:Oh, ok thanks mad. I didn't know you could get a guy and play him at a position if he isn't actually playing that position that day. I guess that would make more sense since it would be hard to know when a guy is playing. He does play DH most of the time. He might switch with Morneau and Ford a little bit, but he plays a lot. I do want to know one thing about fantasy bseball, how do you do your linups? There are 162 games and it is impossible to know if a guy will play or not, so do you just have to sit on MLB.com and see who is playing and go quick change your linup?

If a player has position eligibility, he keeps it all year. Like Pujols had 3B/1B/OF eligibility last year, but he didn't play enough games at 3B to keep it for next year. So next year, Pujols will have 1B and OF eligibility.

As to lineups, yep, you basically have to sit on MLB, or another site to make sure all of your guys are playing. If they are out of the lineup, you can make a switch before the game starts. Making sure you have a full lineup every day can make the difference in winning the league, or finishing second.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby M_Zimm » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:06 pm

Thanks, this place is going to help me with my league I think. The only problem is that all the people in my league are on this site.
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:10 pm

M_Zimm wrote:Thanks, this place is going to help me with my league I think. The only problem is that all the people in my league are on this site.

Well as long as you don't finish last, you will have someone to pick on. :-D Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers