Pierzynski traded - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pierzynski traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:42 pm

shortsavage wrote:
shortsavage wrote:Does anyone know how much A.J. is due to get paid in 2004? I hope this doesn't spoil the chances of Vlad coming to S.F.

Pierzynski made $365,000 in 2003, but he could command $3 million next season as he's eligible for arbitration (source: Roto Times).

$3 million for Pierzynski would lessen the Giants chances of getting Vlad, as $17 million would be tough to allocate in order to get Vlad and fill other holes. Sabean must have something up his sleeve.

well Pierzynski will still have trade value next offseson too. But why would you give up that much to get him? See, the more I think about it, it doesn't make sense.

What about Yorvit? ..... when is the press conference? tonight? tomorrow prob. Brian, you got some splainin'to do.....
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:10 pm

wrveres wrote:well Pierzynski will still have trade value next offseson too. But why would you give up that much to get him? See, the more I think about it, it doesn't make sense.

What about Yorvit? ..... when is the press conference? tonight? tomorrow prob. Brian, you got some splainin'to do.....

Well, the Giants swiped Herges from your Pads this past season and they did not even expect Nathan to be a big contributer prior to Spring Training in 2003. So, I do no think that they are taking a huge hit, loosing Nathan. They will be able to find other relievers and Feliz Rodriguez should improve on his 2002 and 2003 campaigns next year.

As for the pitching prospects, I think that portion of the trade foreshadows that the Giants will bolster their 2004 pitching staff externally of the organization.

Thus, leaving the biggest hit the sleeper that could have been Yorvit. I am with you here wveres, I do not get why they did not let this egg hatch. As you mentioned earlier, the Giants seemed to be grooming him to be the heir of Benito. And, he is not going to have much trade value, while he is too good of a prospect to be a back up. Baseball owes us some clarification here ;-) .
Last edited by shortsavage on Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby GoDucks » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:11 pm

I heard a rumor that SF was going to try and flip AJ to another team for a 1st B (Sexson/Lee/Klesko). However, given that SF has budget issues, how realistic would that be?
GoDucks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:18 pm

GoDucks wrote:I heard a rumor that SF was going to try and flip AJ to another team for a 1st B (Sexson/Lee/Klesko). However, given that SF has budget issues, how realistic would that be?

That makes some since. You would have thought that they would have gone after a three team deal, but for the sake of timeliness and simplicity today's trade could have been the most ideal situation.

Regarding the Giants "budget issues", I think their budget cuts are being highly misinterpreted. They did state that they plan on cutting $10 million from their budget, however once you remove Snow, Aurilla and Santiago from the picture there is already $13.6 million less being spent than in 2004. Therefore, $10 million is not really a big hit and should not be considered a budget issue. They still plan on spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $75 million.
Last edited by shortsavage on Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:24 pm

wrveres wrote:well his career splits don't show anything drastic, but he is going from a hitters park to an extreme pitchers park. So maybe a 10-15pt drop in BA. IMO

I don't think that it matters much. AJ has never been a power hitter so he can get singles anywhere.

I would use caution when saying that this could help his numbers. He will probably split more time than he did in Minnesota. Yorvit will still get some time. LeCroy only took a day here or there until he got the DH job later in the year.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:32 pm

Some words from Sabean...

"You can never pass up an opportunity to add a young left-handed hitting catcher who has been an All-Star and owns postseason experience," Sabean said. "A.J. is a young man who's just coming into his prime and we're excited about adding a quality left-handed bat to our lineup."

source: sfgiants.com
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:35 pm

shortsavage wrote:Some words from Sabean...

"You can never pass up an opportunity to add a young left-handed hitting catcher who has been an All-Star and owns postseason experience," Sabean said. "A.J. is a young man who's just coming into his prime and we're excited about adding a quality left-handed bat to our lineup."

source: sfgiants.com

While I agree with that assessment, what else can he say? That they just got him to move him to another team? That they plan on platooning him?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby grammysboy » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:08 pm

I would use caution when saying that this could help his numbers. He will probably split more time than he did in Minnesota. Yorvit will still get some time. LeCroy only took a day here or there until he got the DH job later in the year.

LeCroy had 22 appearances as a catcher last season. I don't think the Twins plan to put him in the position full-time. I agree with the others who think it is a move to make room for Joe Mauer. I was asking Madison the other day how to deal with rookie players like Mauer in a draft. If he's never been up can you still draft him? I would think someone will want to pick him up pretty early. I also wouldn't give up on LeCroy. The Twins have recognized his offensive potential and found a way to get his bat in the line-up every day. Eligibility as a catcher is just a bonus that makes him more valuable in most leagues.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:30 pm

grammysboy wrote:

LeCroy had 22 appearances as a catcher last season. I don't think the Twins plan to put him in the position full-time. I agree with the others who think it is a move to make room for Joe Mauer. I was asking Madison the other day how to deal with rookie players like Mauer in a draft. If he's never been up can you still draft him? I would think someone will want to pick him up pretty early. I also wouldn't give up on LeCroy. The Twins have recognized his offensive potential and found a way to get his bat in the line-up every day. Eligibility as a catcher is just a bonus that makes him more valuable in most leagues.

I agree about Mauer. What I was mentioning about LeCroy was that he really didn't take that much time away from AJ so AJ is going from clear #1 to a not-so-clear #1.
Lofunzo

Postby Yikes » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:08 pm

Mauer has nice potential but look at the short-term. :-?

Matt LeCroy had argueably better numbers than A.J. last year and should be the one taken notice.
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers