Pierzynski traded - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pierzynski traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ukjohn » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:07 pm

shortsavage wrote:
ukjohn wrote:
shortsavage wrote:I hope this doesn't spoil the chances of Vlad coming to S.F.

you must be a SF fan

I think that is a given.

ukjohn wrote:I would have bet the house that Vlad didn't get traded to SF. This trade pretty much locks that up.

Vlad is a free agent...he is not going to be traded. And today's trade does not mean that the Giants will not sign Vlad. Pierznyski made $365,000 in 2003. He is not going to put a huge dent in the 20mil the Giants have tenitively planned for spending on the free agent market.

Sorry if it sounds like I am going off on you ukjohn. You just hit my funny bone ;-) .

no problem, and by the way I knew Vlad was a FA, just accidentily put traded. I understand being up for your team, but I just don't see it. Vlad just doesn't seem to be a good fit for SF. Baltimore, NYY, and Montreal seem to be the best choices. You can just about put him anywhere though. Baltimore seems to be coming out of the running. NYY seems to be more interested in Sheffield. Montreal will love him, but do they have the money.

Just because you have money doesn't mean your going to get the top free agent. Doubt it, and I would still bet any $ amount on it.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:08 pm

wrveres wrote:
shortsavage wrote:
wrveres wrote:
shortsavage wrote:Don't give up on Yovit yet. The Giants already signed Alberto Castillo to be their back up catcher and I would not be surprised to see Torrealba traded into a starting role elsewhere.

wonder if they would ship him to SD???? Being a division rival and all ... hmm. This trade makes less and less sense the more I think about it.

Did you read my explainations earlier in the thread?

Also, why not grab a good deal at catcher while the free agent waters are being tested? Especially when Min. wanted to find a way to give Mauer a starting role in 2004. Sneaky, sneaky Sabean.

I read it, but they have been grooming Yorvit for that pos. for three or four years. And to make the move so soon? I think Sabean was keeping him away from somebody more than he will let on. I can't figure why he makes that his first move in the offseson. Yorvit was to be the man.

Yeah, we must be missing a piece of the puzzle.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:11 pm

ukjohn wrote:Just because you have money doesn't mean your going to get the top free agent. Doubt it, and I would still bet any $ amount on it.

I'd be careful with your money, because Vlad would be a perfect fit in SF, they have the money, and every article I have read, there is a groundswell for Sabean to go and sign Vlad.

As shown today, Sabean will never show his hand. :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:11 pm

ukjohn wrote:Vlad just doesn't seem to be a good fit for SF.

What do you mean? Why isn't he a good fit? (So, we don't get too off topic you could post your respons on the Vlad thread because I definately want to hear where you were coming from with this statement.)
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby ukjohn » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:18 pm

shortsavage wrote:
ukjohn wrote:Vlad just doesn't seem to be a good fit for SF.

What do you mean? Why isn't he a good fit? (So, we don't get too off topic you could post your respons on the Vlad thread because I definately want to hear where you were coming from with this statement.)

Haven't you heard any reports about Vlad? He wants to be the TOP DOG. He is money hungry, not championship hungry. His agent wants him to go to NY, but Vlad would rather play with Baltimore. I'll be back with more reports.
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:29 pm

Does anyone else think the Twins wanted Nathan as insurance incase they are unable to resign Guardado?

Joe Nathan was pretty dominant coming of surgery this season for the Giants. He has a closer's make up.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby eftda » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:30 pm

wrveres wrote:
shortsavage wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:To me the most intriguing thing about this trade is Mauer. Where does he rank on everyone's cheat sheets for catcher?

This trade did not change my ranking for Mauer. With his amazing progress coming at such a ripe, young age, it seemed inevitable that he would end up getting a chance to start in 2004.

Joe Mauer is in my top 15 catchers now (and top 10 keeper catchers), but I usually get pretty hyped up about prospects.

well I was pretty hyped about Yorvit. oh well. :-t

i was too, i think he is ready, but AJ will boost the lineup
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ukjohn » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:32 pm

I hope Crain gets the job in Minnesota. He is flat out dominant in Triple A and in winter ball.
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:33 pm

shortsavage wrote:Does anyone else think the Twins wanted Nathan as insurance incase they are unable to resign Guardado?

Joe Nathan was pretty dominant coming of surgery this season for the Giants. He has a closer's make up.

That's a good point. The Twins have basically lost Guardado and Hawkins. They certainly need some bullpen help.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:36 pm

shortsavage wrote:Does anyone know how much A.J. is due to get paid in 2004? I hope this doesn't spoil the chances of Vlad coming to S.F.

Pierzynski made $365,000 in 2003, but he could command $3 million next season as he's eligible for arbitration (source: Roto Times).

$3 million for Pierzynski would lessen the Giants chances of getting Vlad, as $17 million would be tough to allocate in order to get Vlad and fill other holes. Sabean must have something up his sleeve.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers