Pierzynski traded - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pierzynski traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pierzynski traded

Postby kentx12 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:40 pm

Just heard on ESPN radio that he had been traded to the Giants for a relief pitcher and a 1st round pick in next years draft.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby M_Zimm » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I will see if I can get a link for everybody else.
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby ukjohn » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:50 pm

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Twins have traded catcher A.J. Pierzynski and a player to be named later or cash to the San Francisco Giants in exchange for right-handed pitchers Joe Nathan and Boof Bonser and left-handed pitcher Francisco Liriano.

With Pierzynski going to the Giants, it appears Benito Santiago's tenure in San Francisco has come to a close. The 38-year-old Santiago, who has spent the past three seasons playing for the Giants, is a free agent.

The 26-year-old Pierzynski batted .312 with 35 doubles, 11 homers and 74 RBI in 137 games for the Twins last season

my question is why would the Giants go for him? don't they have a very good young catcher? twins didn't get much in return. Bonser isn't a great prospect. Nathan is a solid reliever, but Pierzynski is an all-star!!!
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:05 pm

I guess Sabean wasn't too sold on Torrealba huh?
Didn't see this one coming....

welcome to the game of baseball A.J. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:07 pm

I'm going to say that it's not a bad move for the Giants. Pierzynski's value could go up depending on the rest of the Giant's moves this offseason.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:12 pm

well his career splits don't show anything drastic, but he is going from a hitters park to an extreme pitchers park. So maybe a 10-15pt drop in BA. IMO
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:12 pm

Wow, I just saw this on sfgiants.com. Quite a shocker to me 8-o . I thought Yorvit was going to get a chance and that the Giants were trying to save up for a top right fielder :-? .

Does anyone know how much A.J. is due to get paid in 2004? I hope this doesn't spoil the chances of Vlad coming to S.F.

Hehe, A's fans are going to dislike the Giants even more now :-b . Pierzynski ticked a lot of A's fans off in the playoffs with his manorisms.

I had just started to here rumors about how S.D. was going after A.J. too. I wonder what they will do now :-? .

After thinking about this trade for a bit, I can see it going in one of two directions :-? .

1) With Neifi likely to be there starting 2004 SS, RF still questionable and 1b likely to be occupied by a less than proven player, the Giants felt uncomfortable having an unproven player at catcher as well. I could see them going on to trade Yorvit in order to get a pitching prospect (compensation for Boof). And, they would likely continue to add reasonalbly priced free agents to their 2004 line up.

2) The Giants are preparing to settle for less than average production from a few of their starters and add one major free agent. With A.J.'s above average bat (for a catcher), they would feel comfortable sticking with internal players at two of the following positions: 1b, SS and RF. Then, they could add one big free agent and still reach a somewhat balanced approach.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:18 pm

To me the most intriguing thing about this trade is Mauer. Where does he rank on everyone's cheat sheets for catcher?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:20 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:To me the most intriguing thing about this trade is Mauer. Where does he rank on everyone's cheat sheets for catcher?

so are they gonna bring him up for '04 I guess..

another sleeper.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:23 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:To me the most intriguing thing about this trade is Mauer. Where does he rank on everyone's cheat sheets for catcher?

This trade did not change my ranking for Mauer. With his amazing progress coming at such a ripe, young age, it seemed inevitable that he would end up getting a chance to start in 2004.

Joe Mauer is in my top 15 catchers now (and top 10 keeper catchers), but I usually get pretty hyped up about prospects.
Last edited by shortsavage on Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers