Auction strategies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction strategies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:57 pm

DK wrote:
Kerg wrote: "Well, John Doe DID sleep with my wife so, I hate him and I'm not bidding on him.".

Damn. :D

I unerstand that my ex was a slu+.... ... but I can't see where that would keep me from trying to win in Roto. Anyways, she hated roto, so all the better IMO.... :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby issyg67 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:01 am

bump...some good stuff here for those new to auctions.
issyg67
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BGbootha » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:20 am

bump - This thread helped me out alot. Just wondering if there are anymore out there. Also i am participating in an online auction for the first time this year. Is there anything different about doing it online???
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:59 am

BGbootha wrote:bump - This thread helped me out alot. Just wondering if there are anymore out there. Also i am participating in an online auction for the first time this year. Is there anything different about doing it online???

Yeah, it'll take longer. Hope your entire group is organized or it'll be the worst experience drafting of your life.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby shortsavage » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:48 pm

I had so much fun at my auction. Some of these ideas really got me on the right track! I will add a little more.

1. I was successful doing something like what wveres suggested. I hardly ever called off the players that I really wanted on my team. Instead, I called out players that I knew would attract a large draft bid. This way I usually had about as much money as anyone, and I gave myself a better shot at getting the players that I really wanted.

2. It is really important to keep rosters for all of the other teams in your league as the auction goes on (to the best of your abilitly). Not only can you double check that people are not cheating or "making mistakes", but you will have a really good idea if someone is bluffing on a bid or truely interested.

3. You would think this would be common sense, but for some reason people keep breaking it. Like a few other people have said already, set up a limit for how much you are willing to spend on a player and do not exceed it! There were three owners in my league who ended up spending more than 1/5th of their money on a single player. No one is valuable enough to require 1/5th of your budget! The teams that did this have gaping holes elsewhere, and they are now taking seriously looks at trading their big shot in order to fill these gaps.

I will stop there for now. Auctions are so much fun! Talk your buddies into doing one. It will be worth it.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers