Auction strategies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction strategies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hayseed » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:21 pm

DK that leagues still on right? havent heard anything in a few weeks.
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:25 pm

hayseed wrote:DK that leagues still on right? havent heard anything in a few weeks.

Yes it is. We've been waiting for three members to vote on a poll saying that they're ready to go. I can't remember who's who, so if you're in my league, check the group page!
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby grammysboy » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:52 pm

coke609 wrote:My auction is held in the "Big Apple". Their are many Yankee and Met fans in my league/ I a;ways throw out their names first and sit back as they usually overpay for the "Hometown Boys"

This works in other parts of the country too. I live between KC and St. Louis. Our league has split loyalties between the two. It was fun to watch the Royal and Cardinal players go for way too much last season. Anyone want a $42 Mike Sweeney? How about a $45 Jim Edmonds? They'll both be back in our draft next spring and will still bring more than their worth!
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby M_Zimm » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:54 pm

grammysboy wrote:
coke609 wrote:My auction is held in the "Big Apple". Their are many Yankee and Met fans in my league/ I a;ways throw out their names first and sit back as they usually overpay for the "Hometown Boys"

This works in other parts of the country too. I live between KC and St. Louis. Our league has split loyalties between the two. It was fun to watch the Royal and Cardinal players go for way too much last season. Anyone want a $42 Mike Sweeney? How about a $45 Jim Edmonds? They'll both be back in our draft next spring and will still bring more than their worth!

Not if Edmonds is a Dodger... B-)
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:58 pm

Homers....
Homers are important in any draft, and not the "Barely over the fence type". I'm talking the STL/KC homers or SOX/Yankees homers, or me, a Padres homer. It goes back to knowing who is playing. I often pencil in "who" the owners favorite team is. You can almost always get an extra buck or two out of them, especially for the star players.

Budget ...
Always know your "Game Plan" going in, and stick to it. You can make adjustments off the wire or for trade. Its a very long season. Switching strategies in the middle of the draft will only spell disaster evrytime.

A very common Budget in auction is $180.00 for offense and for $80.00 pitching. Variations of that can be changed going into a draft depending upon your strategy, but stick to your budget. If you set aside 80.00 for pitching and drafted Zito and Mulder (homers) at 35.00 each, your staff is in a world of hurt, right?
Real Roto 5x5 has 23 man rosters.... on a 260.00 budget that is about 11.00 per position. So basically any player you draft over that amount has to be sacraficed somewhere, right?... I guess that means lots of sleepers ???? well heck, that is a strategy too ...... :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:45 pm

wrveres wrote:Homers....
Homers are important in any draft, and not the "Barely over the fence type".

Kind of sounds like CAFE lingo of those barely over the fence hrs lol?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby GoDucks » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:18 pm

A couple other items that I can add:

1) Don't be afraid to bid early. The reason that I say that, is there are so many articles out there that say you should wait until the middle of the auction, before you should really start dropping the auction dollars. In any case, everyone is kind of afraid to get burned by taking the stud early, and end up overpaying in the middle to late part of the auction. The last AL keeper auction that I participated in, Pedro went for $41 at the beginning of the auction. That may sound like a lot. However, there were only a handful of stud type pitchers, so by mid auction, Mulder, Hudson, Mussina, Clemens, etc. were all going for $40. Personally, I would have rather have paid the extra $1 for Pedro.
2) Be careful of rookies. A couple of years ago, in the same AL keeper league auction, Hank Blalock went for between $15-$20. He was the next "can't miss" prospect. Of course, he had trouble adjusting to ML pitching, and I believe was sent down. The guy who ended up picking him, waived him (the only reason I remember this, is I ended up picking up Blalock for $3 later in the year). Of course, I am the same guy who ended up with a $10 Nick Johnson a year before he broke out. And a $7 Felipe Lopez when all of the experts were crowning him as a future SS stud for Toronto.
GoDucks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ramble2 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:42 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas. An auction sounds like a lot of fun.

I have another question. What do you do with a guy like Loaiza? I don't really want him on my team next year, unless I can get him cheap (or in the late rounds).

Is it a good strategy to throw out something like, "Loaiza, $5" near the beginning of an auction, just to see who among the league will bite and who sits quietly? Is putting him out early going to increase your chance of getting him at a bargain, or of forcing other people's hands into paying too much? Or is Loaiza (and those like him) someone better to try and slip in cheap in the mid to later rounds?

My guess would be that if you don't put him out there early, and you have a good rotation set, then Loaiza might not be a bad person to throw out there in the mid rounds. Folks who don't have their rotation set might start panicking if a lot of the good pitchers are taken, and get into a bidding war over Loaiza.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Kerg » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:58 am

I'm in a NL only keeper league with a cap of $260 (can keep up to 15 guys out of 23) so, our auctions are a little different than yearly redraft auctions.

A few more things to add -

1. Don't overspend on a guy just because he is the only guy out there to fill in. Ray Durham is the perfect example from last year. We had a very thin selection at 2B last year and Durham went for $45 and Kendall for $33. Why? Because they were all that was remaining in 2 thin positions. 8-o On the flip side, M. Giles went for $4. Pay for what you are getting. Look at the other players taken. Are you going to get $45 worth of stats from this player? If the answer is no.. bid $45 on someone that will get you those kind of stats.

2. Don't overspend on closers. There are tons of teams that change closers during the year. In our league, Nen & Isringhausen went for $30. I'd say there are 10-11 closers in our league that were FA pickups during the last several years. Including Gagne...

3. Don't bid on a 'name'. Griffey hasn't done anything in years. Please don't spend $33 on him... (which, someone did last year).

4. Avoid Bias. Try not to overbid on a player just because he is from your hometown team. Also, don't avoid bidding on a player just because you don't like him. "Well, John Doe DID sleep with my wife so, I hate him and I'm not bidding on him.".
Striving for mediocrity in life
Kerg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DK » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:44 pm

Kerg wrote: "Well, John Doe DID sleep with my wife so, I hate him and I'm not bidding on him.".

Damn. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers