Auction strategies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction strategies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction strategies

Postby ramble2 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:22 pm

In one recent thread, there was the beginning of a discussion on auction strategies. I've never been in an auction league, and would like to join one next year. I was hoping that folks with experience in auction leagues could provide some tips on how to have a successful auction. I've read about Ron Shandler's LIMA plan, but otherwise don't really know much about different plans of attack. I'm hoping that Cafe members can recount their experience here for the benefit of us auction-newbies.

Thanks! ;-D
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:44 pm

A couple of things that have worked very well for me are:

Don't go into the draft wanting a specific player. Say for example you think Teixeira is going to blast off next year. Don't let yourself get taken to the cleaners in order to land him.

Cap the price that you are willing to bid for everyone and don't go over it. Use Tex again. Say you think he's worth a $12 bid. If the bidding goes to $13, then find a different option. Obviously, if you have saved some money elsewhere, then you might be able to spend a little more to get who you want, but keep it within reason. It's easy to get carried away, and wrap up a huge amount of money on a handful of guys.

If you think someone is getting ready to get an obvious steal, bid on that player. Say someone like Carlos Zambrano for $5. Don't let another owner get him that cheap. One of two things will happen. Either you will get a great deal on Zambrano, or the other owner will have to spend a more reasonable amount of money to land him.

Ramble, I know that you do your homework, but for anyone else who will be doing an auction league for the first time, do your homework on all the players. Know which players are valuable, and which ones to aviod. Then know how much the valuable ones are to you in a top price bid.

Good topic Ramble! ;-D I hope the league goes well for you. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GoDucks » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:21 pm

I play in an AL-Only auction keeper. There are a few things that I can add, especially if you are going to be in a single-league auction:

1) If in a keeper league, you really need to examine all of the other teams potential keepers list. Especially in a single league, a $40 superstar (e.g. Beltran) may not be someone that you toss back, depending on the number of keepers and FA list. Inflation can run rampant, especially if you have cheap keepers ($3 Halladay on one team).
2) If you are going to price enforce, make sure that you enforce only on players that you wouldn't mind having on your team. I got caught last year enforcing on Washburn (someone I really didn't like), and it came back to bite me.
3) Try not to leave any money on the table.
4) Another strategy to consider is Stars & Scrubs. That worked for me last year, as I managed to win with a roster including Tejada, Maggs, Beltran, Mulder, and Boone. Of course, it works best in a single league auction.
GoDucks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:51 pm

I'll add a couple of things, and probably add more later..

Tips..

Know the other players. There is "Big Spenders" in every draft and there is "Money Savers" in any Draft. A big spender is a "Stars and Scrubs" player as mentioned before. A money saver is someone who avoids the top teir players and spreads the money around looking for value

Prepare a list of players you "Don't" want. This is your call list. auction, unlike anyother form allows you to 'bluff', for lack of a better word. IE.. I never draft JD Drew or Larry Walker (inj history)... But when its my pick, I call them out for 1.00 and make somebody else bid on them. Last year, I grabbed Irod early and called out nothing but Catchers the rest of the draft. :-)

1B is almost always the single most expensive position. If you want to save a little cash for another position, target a second teir 1B, the drop off is not that huge. Same with top teir OF.

If you can avoid the bidding wars, you will be alot better off in the long run. Bidding wars can come early or late, you never know. Last year, Ray Durham went very late for almost 35.00. 8-o because three owners were Money Savers and each had a MI spot to fill. It was kinda funny, but there is at least two or three bidding wars every year. Of corse that brings up the bluff again now doesn't it ...... :-°

more later ......
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:14 pm

I am in the same boat as ramble and every post so far has been very helpful ;-D . Thanks for the tips!
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby coke609 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:28 pm

My auction is held in the "Big Apple". Their are many Yankee and Met fans in my league/ I a;ways throw out their names first and sit back as they usually overpay for the "Hometown Boys"
I would NEVER vote Pete Rose into the Hall Of Fame
coke609
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:32 pm

coke609 wrote:My auction is held in the "Big Apple". Their are many Yankee and Met fans in my league/ I a;ways throw out their names first and sit back as they usually overpay for the "Hometown Boys"

welcome to the cafe .... ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:37 pm

wrveres wrote:
coke609 wrote:My auction is held in the "Big Apple". Their are many Yankee and Met fans in my league/ I a;ways throw out their names first and sit back as they usually overpay for the "Hometown Boys"

welcome to the cafe .... ;-D

Yes, Welcome to the Cafe'! ;-D

Smart strategy with your location. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Swinger » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:48 pm

I'm gonna be in DK's auction league, I'm new, and these tips are great. Will DK be tempted by mets players? :-)
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:43 pm

Swinger wrote:I'm gonna be in DK's auction league, I'm new, and these tips are great. Will DK be tempted by mets players? :-)

Only Reyes. ;-D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers