Tino to Tampa - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Tino to Tampa

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tino to Tampa

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:21 pm

From the Tampa Tribune
TAMPA - The Devil Rays soon may be adding a veteran first baseman and closer to their roster.
Talks have heated up between the Rays and St. Louis on a deal that could bring former University of Tampa all-American Tino Martinez to Tampa Bay within a few days. Rays General Manager Chuck LaMar also has begun efforts to acquire free-agent closer Tom Gordon.

The Rays and Cardinals are believed to be close to an agreement on how much of Martinez's $7.5 million contract St. Louis will pay in 2004. Sources have said that figure likely will be between $6 million and $7 million. The contract also includes an $8 million salary or $1 million buyout for 2005.

The Cardinals, who plan to move all-star Albert Pujols to first base next season, likely would receive a minor-league position player in return for Martinez, who turns 36 in December.

LaMar, returning home Thursday from the general managers meetings in Arizona, said of Martinez, ``We'd like him to be a Devil Ray'' but declined to say how quickly that can happen.

Manager Lou Piniella added, ``If it does happen, Tino will be very excited and we will be too.''

LaMar said he spoke with Gordon's agent while in Arizona and expects to talk again. The Rays have made acquiring a closer one of their top offseason priorities and Gordon leads their list.

Gordon, who was raised in Avon Park, was 7-6 with 12 saves in 17 opportunities for the Chicago White Sox largely in a setup role last season. His best season came with Boston in 1998, when he saved 46 games before being sidelined by arm problems. He appeared in 66 games last season for the White Sox.

I have enough faith in Jocketty to hope it won't go down like that. Pay 7 of the 7.5 mil? For a prospect.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:24 pm

i cant remember the last time walt really got hosed in a trade so if those are the terms then it has to be one hell of a minor league prospect. the point of trading tino is to free up salary so if the cards are paying 95 percent of his salary i would expect either no deal or a major league ready player in return.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Nisly » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:50 pm

Hey Pogo, what are some of the other rumors surrounding the card's this offseason? I'm a cards fan who lives in LA so all I can do is read the post online. I've heard about the edmonds for Perez and Mota deal, but not much else. Anything other interesting rumors? Also, do we really think we can use Drew in Center (for a full year no less!) if we do get rid of Jimmy?
Nisly
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:53 pm

Those are the big ones. Vina is gone. Hart is in. Marrero, Edmonds and Drew have all been mentioned as being dealt for a SP. Tino is more of a salary dump.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grenade Teeth » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:55 am

The news today is the Cards will pay $6 mil of the 7.5 and the D-Rays would be responsible for the buyout/option year. The prospect mentioned was either Brazelton or Standridge. Apparently Jocketty really wanted Kennedy but TB wouldn't have it.

The post also mentions the possibility of getting Spezio or Snow (another Tino IMO) and I hope Walt is smarter than that. I think we should move Pujols to first and bring in Lofton for a year (I know StL doesn't like him, but we didn't like Will Clark much either until 2000).
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:36 am

I still think $6 mil is too much. What do they save $1.5 mil this year and $1 mil next year for the buyout?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:58 am

yeah basically they would save $2.5 million (1.5 this year and 1.0 from the buyout) but they would also get a pretty solid prospect if it ends up being brazelton. its not really a salary dump. my guess is that walt couldnt find anyone willing to take on more than 1 or 2 million of tino's salary so if we are going to get rid of him we have to do it by buying prospects from someone else. the cards could find a decent replacement for tino with 2.5 million (by either a left fielder or 1b) and should be getting a decent prospect with the amount of money they are paying so i would be fairly happy with that deal.

as far as trading edmonds is concerned, walt was quoted as saying they arent really interesting in trading him and he read where they had offered him to two teams he hasnt even talked to (referring to the dodgers and yankees rumors). i dont think edmonds will be traded.

you can find a little bit more active cardinals board here:
http://www.sports-boards.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=40

but if you go there i would recommend using a pop up blocker like the google tool bar or something like that.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Tino

Postby gypsyspot » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:30 am

Im glad Tino's gone. He was sabotage central. 7 mil out of 8.5 mil garunteed is a hell of deal for us. I would've payed Tampa to take him.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to St. Louis Cardinals