Yahoo! Setup Question - Weekly Moves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo! Setup Question - Weekly Moves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo! Setup Question - Weekly Moves

Postby Skippyoz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:25 pm

Hello,

This is our 6th year of a keeper. For the past two years we've been doing Head to Head. We are going to keep H2H, and I changed the setting to weekly lineup settings (too many add/drops during playoff weeks were making the league odd). Basically we want teams to put their best foot forward each week...

Has anyone ever used this setting? How does transactions work, especially in regards to Waiver priorities? What if you are away for the weekend... can you make a lineup change that will take effect for next week (i.e. move from bench to lineup)? Any and all insight would be great.

Thanks,
Steve
Skippyoz
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby FrankGore » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:31 pm

i played this way last year, and let me tell you, it is very frustrating. To answer your question, add drops and waiver claims can be made everday, but the player will not be able to be used untl the following monday. You can set your lineup for any week at any time, by clicking on the dates at the top of your roster.

I would say a better solution would be to have a max number of add/drops per week or season. Daily roster changes are better, cuz in weekly changes an injury on monday means that player is in your lineup the whole week. Also, you need to structure your roster differently if you are only changing weekly. You will need more SP spots, instead of the usual 2.
FrankGore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MaggsIsMint » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:38 pm

The league I am in uses weekly roster changes and I like it much more than daily.

We start:

3sp
2rp
2p

We have a max moves set at 60 so you get just over 2/week on average including playoffs.

It does suck if you have a guy it injured but I like it much more because everyone has a team identity and your head doesn't get dizzy from people adding and dropping pitchers every .... single .... day.
MaggsIsMint
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FrankGore » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:43 pm

wouldnt the max of 60 moves take care of the SP streaming?? anyway i know what you mean about the identity, it takes more strategy to look at your opponents team and decide whether you need power or speed at your util position
FrankGore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Yahoo! Setup Question - Weekly Moves

Postby mak1277 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:45 pm

Skippyoz wrote:Hello,

This is our 6th year of a keeper. For the past two years we've been doing Head to Head. We are going to keep H2H, and I changed the setting to weekly lineup settings (too many add/drops during playoff weeks were making the league odd). Basically we want teams to put their best foot forward each week...

Has anyone ever used this setting? How does transactions work, especially in regards to Waiver priorities? What if you are away for the weekend... can you make a lineup change that will take effect for next week (i.e. move from bench to lineup)? Any and all insight would be great.

Thanks,
Steve

Our league uses weekly and it works just fine. You can change your line-up for "next week" any time you want, so it's not a big deal if you aren't around the day of the due date.

One thing worth knowing....if set your weekly deadline for Monday, then all line-up changes need to be in by midnight Sunday. You will not be able to change lineups on the day of the deadline.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby MaggsIsMint » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:52 pm

FrankGore wrote:wouldnt the max of 60 moves take care of the SP streaming?? anyway i know what you mean about the identity, it takes more strategy to look at your opponents team and decide whether you need power or speed at your util position

Well yeah it would stop those moves from happening everyday because you would simply just run out.

Our philosophy is that teams should have an identity and that moves should be valued. Basically a team should only use moves to upgrade at a current position over a slumping or injured player. Personally, I think if you add a player he should be in your plans for the future and not just for 1 start before you dispose him for another of the same.

Ideally I think I might like to be in a league that was H2H with a very low number of moves (ie. 20) and a larger bench. Furthermore you would only have 4 open spots for pitchers and they could be all starters, all relievers or any combination of the two. This way you could build your team how you want, make necessary changes mid-week and eliminate streaming.
MaggsIsMint
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FrankGore » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:24 pm

well i agree with all that, the problem is getting everyone in the league to agree....i like your idea of limited moves and a larger bench though, it would require careful planning for each roster move.

Another idea is in a money league to charge a small amount for each add/drop, this builds the pot and makes some think twice about abusing the WW.

Also, this may just be me, but I dont like any settings where people can just not play SPs and still win the league. THis is common is H2H leagues with low Min innings per week. If fantasy is supposed to mirror baseball, how could a team win with no SPs? I know it is just a strategy to win, but it bothers me.
FrankGore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MaggsIsMint » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:30 pm

FrankGore wrote:well i agree with all that, the problem is getting everyone in the league to agree....i like your idea of limited moves and a larger bench though, it would require careful planning for each roster move.

Another idea is in a money league to charge a small amount for each add/drop, this builds the pot and makes some think twice about abusing the WW.

Also, this may just be me, but I dont like any settings where people can just not play SPs and still win the league. THis is common is H2H leagues with low Min innings per week. If fantasy is supposed to mirror baseball, how could a team win with no SPs? I know it is just a strategy to win, but it bothers me.

I don't like the people who just load up on relievers in low min. innings pitched either. In fact, last year we had one owner in our league start only one SP most of the year (Carpenter) and then 4 Closers each week while leaving two SP slots open. It drove me crazy. He ended up having an exceptional hitting team that won saves and the ratios basically every week while punting wins and surviving losses in our 6x6 league.

This year we are bumping up our min. innings pitched requirement significantly...
MaggsIsMint
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gostanford07 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:03 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to set a max IP per week? or max moves per week? We want to stop the streaming but a number of us are against weekly lineups. Thanks for input.
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Return to Commissioner's Corner