SS Very Deep? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SS Very Deep?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:54 pm

SS is deep in shallow leagues but it falls off pretty fast if you are in a deep league like mine where we have 14 teams and a MI slot. 2B is very weak at the top but incredibly deep in the middle in our setup.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:25 pm

Reyes is a mega stud b/c if you have him you don't even have to bother thinking 'maybe I need to get Dave Roberts or Kenny Lofton for 20 more SB', kind of like Fantasy Valium or something like that...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Thursday » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:38 pm

I just don't know why, but i've got a BAD feeling about Hanley Ramirez this year. It seems like he's being set-up to be the bust of the season.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:44 pm

Risk/Reward with Bobby Crosby
Member #4 Of "The Official Zack Greinke Fan Club"
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby spamnon » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:10 am

I agree with you guys, since I have been thinking the same thing recently. I am in the 4th round of my 11 team 5x5 roto draft and I am debating to grab a SS like HRam, Young, Furcal, or just go for the best available player like Carlos Lee (even with two stud OFs already). This thread might have swayed me away from the SS pick, cause I feel like I can hold out and get one of the guys you mention later in the draft, like Drew, Lopez, Peralta, etc.
I love fantasy baseball but I love fantasy life more... http://www.citypixel.com/AM
spamnon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby colt4523 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:17 am

SS might just be my last position to draft in my 16 team league. Ending up with Peralta or Crosby is not too bad. I am also not to impressed with the quality of 2b this year.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:00 am

spamnon wrote:I agree with you guys, since I have been thinking the same thing recently. I am in the 4th round of my 11 team 5x5 roto draft and I am debating to grab a SS like HRam, Young, Furcal, or just go for the best available player like Carlos Lee (even with two stud OFs already). This thread might have swayed me away from the SS pick, cause I feel like I can hold out and get one of the guys you mention later in the draft, like Drew, Lopez, Peralta, etc.

glad to see that happening, because its very true...its always better to get the overall production when all is said and done.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BooksRnot4U » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:33 am

I really do beleive that Edgar Renteria is just an underated SS

I do beleive that if he gets 15 HR and 20 SB then he should be a top 15 starter over someone like freddy sanchez who is overrated because of 1 extremely good year in 1 category. Sanchez kills your power and who knows if he will hit .340 again this year so I think renteria deserves a bid for top 15 over sanchez but thats just imo

So I really like where you have him ranked here but I keep having people tell me that Renteria will have a horrible drop-off year and shouldn't even be an option at starting SS out of 20+ team leagues and I've had that said to me so much even though he is my starter in an 18 team league so I commend your respect and I really like the list you have

Thanks to Alec03 for the awesome sig
BooksRnot4U
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KHI » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:00 am

I think the only things guaranteed with Reyes are the high SB's and runs, behind that lineup. I think he is being overvalued, and I wouldn't take him in the first...

EugeneStyles wrote:okay, okay, you're right. I shouldn't have thrown Hanley's name out there, because a lot of people have him ranked awfully high for a 2nd year player who had one good year, and wasn't particularly good in the minors.

Compared to Reyes, Hanley's minor stats are much better..

I think Hanley has a better chance to hit for average than Reyes, and there slg % are similar, but isn't that a double standard to then say Hanley is too high based on just one year, where Reyes, who's going so high because of the power and average included, has only done it one year?
KHI
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:17 pm

KHI wrote:Compared to Reyes, Hanley's minor stats are much better..

I think Hanley has a better chance to hit for average than Reyes, and there slg % are similar, but isn't that a double standard to then say Hanley is too high based on just one year, where Reyes, who's going so high because of the power and average included, has only done it one year?

Don't get me wrong, I still have Hanley ranked fairly high. Like the #5 SS, I think. But I have his projected value to be almost identical to the #8 or 9 SS. If everyone had similar projections, you would expect Hanley to be randomly somewhere between 4 & 10. Which would have meant he might have been available around round 10, especially if other people have such a flat value curve for SS like I do.

But judging from mocks that I've looked at, a lot of people have Hanley ranked somewhere between #2 and #4 at SS, with a considerable amount more value than the #10 SS (otherwise, why would he go in the 3rd round?). IMHO, *that* is trusting his power surge from last year a little too much, specifically because he was a rookie last year, and we've seen a lot of rookie sensations peter out the next year. That said, I won't be 100% surprised if he repeats or even improves on his numbers from last year, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't either.

As for Reyes, he might not get up to 19 HR's again, but he did have 7 HR's the year before, and it looks more like a trend of improvement than a fluke year (this is completely subjective, but it's my opinion). And he has shown consistent production in the other categories in his first 2 years.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers