SS Very Deep? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SS Very Deep?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SS Very Deep?

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:49 pm

just looking over my rankings again, ive come to the realization that SS is very deep. Deep in the sense that after a typical 12 team draft, if every team drafts 1 SS, that the 12-15th ranked SS are very solid starting options. for example, my rankings, which ive been switching around alot go as the following:

1. Reyes
2. Tejada
3. Jeter
4. Hanley
5. Rollins
6. M. Young
7. Furcal
8. Glaus
9. Lopez
10. Hall
11. E. Renteria
12. Guillen
13. Lugo
14. F. Sanchez
15. S. Drew

i wouldnt mind starting any of the 15 above. now i know guys like glaus, hall, sanchez, and lugo could all be drafted to play other positions, so those teams may draft a 2nd SS, but still, you're then left with 11 very solid options. my main league is a 10 teamer with a few extra starting spots like IF and and an extra OF. Im beginning to think that its not even worth drafting a SS in the first 10 rounds, because i would definitely be pleased with a guy like Renteria or Lugo. thoughts? disagreements?
Last edited by Snakes Gould on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:09 pm

I think Reyes is almost as head-and-shoulders above the rest as Utley is for 2B. If you choose to go with Reyes in the top 5, then you've got your SS. If Reyes falls past the top 5, then you pretty much have to take him. But if not, then any of the next 8 or 9 SS looks good to me. I would prefer not to rely on Renteria or Drew or some of the guys outside the top 10, but I don't see all that much clear division between Tejada/Jeter who will probably go by the 3rd round, and guys like Hanley, Young, Lopez, Furcal that you can probably get in round 10 or so.

Oh, and before someone jumps all over me, I'm not saying that Jeter and Tejada aren't better than the others. Just not enough that I'd be willing to reach for them in the 3rd when I could wait for a different guy. Maybe the 6th if by some aberration they're still around.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby cordscords » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:16 pm

Orlando Cabrera is also a legit starting SS option.

And I agree that SS appears deeper than years past, but come the end of the season the list of quality SS will probably shrink.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Hanley

Postby dmacblue » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:26 pm

EugeneStyles wrote:I think Reyes is almost as head-and-shoulders above the rest as Utley is for 2B. If you choose to go with Reyes in the top 5, then you've got your SS. If Reyes falls past the top 5, then you pretty much have to take him. But if not, then any of the next 8 or 9 SS looks good to me. I would prefer not to rely on Renteria or Drew or some of the guys outside the top 10, but I don't see all that much clear division between Tejada/Jeter who will probably go by the 3rd round, and guys like Hanley, Young, Lopez, Furcal that you can probably get in round 10 or so.

Oh, and before someone jumps all over me, I'm not saying that Jeter and Tejada aren't better than the others. Just not enough that I'd be willing to reach for them in the 3rd when I could wait for a different guy. Maybe the 6th if by some aberration they're still around.

Hanley in the 10th?? i think Hanley will be right there with, if not above, Jeter and Tejada in drafts this year
dmacblue
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Hanley

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:40 pm

dmacblue wrote:Hanley in the 10th?? i think Hanley will be right there with, if not above, Jeter and Tejada in drafts this year

okay, okay, you're right. I shouldn't have thrown Hanley's name out there, because a lot of people have him ranked awfully high for a 2nd year player who had one good year, and wasn't particularly good in the minors.

But my point isn't that you should wait for Hanley Ramirez in the mid-rounds, but that you should wait for the mid-rounds and take whoever is the best SS remaining... basically what Snakes said.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:10 pm

cordscords wrote:Orlando Cabrera is also a legit starting SS option.

And I agree that SS appears deeper than years past, but come the end of the season the list of quality SS will probably shrink.

yeah, even though ive never been an o-cab fan, he is a fine starter as well...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:17 pm

EugeneStyles wrote:I think Reyes is almost as head-and-shoulders above the rest as Utley is for 2B. If you choose to go with Reyes in the top 5, then you've got your SS. If Reyes falls past the top 5, then you pretty much have to take him. But if not, then any of the next 8 or 9 SS looks good to me. I would prefer not to rely on Renteria or Drew or some of the guys outside the top 10, but I don't see all that much clear division between Tejada/Jeter who will probably go by the 3rd round, and guys like Hanley, Young, Lopez, Furcal that you can probably get in round 10 or so.

I would think Tejada/Jeter will generally be going in round 2, Hanley in round 2-4, Young/Furcal around the 4th or 5th, and Lopez around the 9th or 10th.

In general, though, SS does seem pretty deep this year, although if some of the guys eligible at SS get drafted to play another position, then it could thin the list out a bit. (Glaus could be drafted either as a SS or a 3B, Hall as a 3B/CF (after 5 games), Lopez as a 2B (assuming he plays 2B this year and gains eligibility), etc.) Also, I see a pretty big dropoff after the first 13, and in leagues with 14+ managers, I'd at least want to grab one of the top 13.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:26 pm

Phillips may be playing SS as well
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:29 pm

acsguitar wrote:Phillips may be playing SS as well

im one thats not sold on brandon phillips.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby smoovethug » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:59 pm

Yeah SS is pretty deep. I might even throw Peralta on the end of that list but I guess he's pretty borderline to start but there are some that think he could bounce back.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers