I GOT EM!!!!! (Police Tickets) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I GOT EM!!!!! (Police Tickets)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re:

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:36 am

Pacman wrote:Total bill was $222.35. The seats were $95 each, plus the taxes, ticketmaster charges, etc.

I figure a good pair will sell for a LOT on eBay, particualrly closer to the event...

But honestly, even if I could make an $800-900 profit on the pair, I wouldn't sell em... any other concert, maybe... The Police, no.

Hope they do better than the earlier shows. $32 in fees?? :-t
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I GOT EM!!!!! (Police Tickets)

Postby Pacman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:22 am

Went to the concert Sunday night at Fenway. It was wonderful. The Police were outstanding. It was my first time ever seeing them, and they exceeded my expecatations. The set list was terrific, with unexpected songs like "Invisible Sun" "Regatta de Blanc" and "Truth Hits Everybody".

Also, the whole concept that the three guys don't like each other and don't interract on stage, is incorrect... at least it was Sunday night. There was tremendous interplay, as well as what seemed to be plenty of improvisation. Andy Summers' solos sometimes went a bit wild, he even did the old scissor-kick a couple of times. He and Sting often leaned on each other and laughed. The Amazing Stewart Copeland alternated from his drum set to a wall of auxiliary percussion, and was rock-solid all night.

The crowd was deafeningly loud, and literally served as 45,000 backup singers throught the night. Great concert crowd... seemed like it was diehard Police fans only.

Honestly they sounded amazing, Sting took time to pay homage to Boston, where they cut their teeth in the late-70s as an up-and-coming band (at The Rat, the Paradise and The Orpheum)... and Fenway was a wonderful setting for a concert.

We were on the left-field line, in the first row against the incline... our view was great, we were above (obviously) the people on the floor (field) seats, and looked across the field to the stage , which was basically in the center field triangle. At one point during the show, the overcast skys cleared, revealing a full moon, just over the right field sky boxes.

One downside, the warmup act was a Sting's SON'S band.. "Friction Plane" They stunk. Joe Sumner does look like his dad, and sounds like him a little, but their set was boring. As it was obvious WHY an unknown group was the opening act for such a major tour, I did come up with the thought that Friction Plane's next album should be called "Nepotisity" ;) (well, it got a laugh from the folks sitting around us).

Anyway, thought I'd resolve this thread I started several months ago when I got the tix. They ARE returning to Boston in November for shows at the TD Banknorth Garden (I hate that name). I might go to one of those too, as some tickets are still available... just a bit expensive to go twice in one year.

About the pix: I took the one of the Green Monster (with "The Police" spelled out in the inning boxes), but the other is from someone else (my phone didn't get any good pictures once it got dark). I snagged it off the Police's official site, which has a concert-by-concert message board thread.

Peace.

Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Re: I GOT EM!!!!! (Police Tickets)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:30 am

Pacman wrote:Bump... 'cause the concert's two weeks from tomorrow! Anyone seen a Police show on the tour yet? (I think Mookie said he was going to a show early in the tour)

Listening to "Ghost in the Machine" right now... underrated album... plenty of good tunes.

I posted my review in the Rate a Movie thread. Let me find it.

Here it is

So this isn't a movie review, this is actually a concert review but I didn't want to start an entire new thread.

After spending $160 a pop for tickets, $30 for parking, $10 for my beer and briefly considering and then rejecting the $45 T-shirt I got to see the Police on Sunday.

The bad
-Sting's son's band Fiction Plane opened for them.
-Sting looked good but he is slowly turning into Skeltor.
-Andy Summers looked like a grumpy version of Eric Idle. He should have been happy that the other 2 saved him from obscurity.

The good
-No new album meant that they played all of their old hits, and there are a lot of them. So Lonley was incredible. I think that they ruined Roxanne and Don't Stand so CLose to Me by slowing them down and jazzing them up but the ruined songs were few.
-Sting's voice is still incredible. He was belting it out and his voice was as clear and powerful as ever .
-Copeland was a crazy man. He did a great job jumping from is standard drum kit up to the large precussion section behind him.
-The energy. They have never been a high energy band and being an old trio none of them had any breaks or the stamina to run around a lot but they brought their energy to the music and put on a damned great sounding show.

Overall 7/10 and worth the money
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Previous

Return to General Talk