Auction - Keeping it Moving - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Auction - Keeping it Moving

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lenny6 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:10 pm

lsommerer, that spreadsheet is awesome! I haven't gotten that advanced in my auction spreadsheet, mostly due to rudimentary Excel skills! I noticed that the drop down boxes truncate the player lists past 120 or so, how do you work around that?

The tracking of budgets has been the biggest problem at our auctions. One way we get around it is that people aren't required to fill their roster completely if they spend their money. After the auction we hold a waiver wire draft where the people who didn't budget wisely pick up players at a free agent salary of $5 to fill out their roster. I have also had people continue bidding even though there roster was full which can screw things up, too. The important thing is to take your time as commish even if people are screaming about how slow the process is to make sure you are accurately recording the information, especially if you don't have an auctioneer.

The spreadsheet is a very big asset to have. At a minimum you can use it to keep track of the bids. Also with technology being what it is, the spreadsheet can be projected for all in attendence to follow along or shared over the internet using Windows Messenger if anyone needs to participate from a remote location (the fewer remote participants, the better though! :-) ).

We found the open bidding to be too chaotic without an auctioneer, so we conduct our auction "poker style" where we rotate nominations and bidding in a preset order. If you pass on a bid once, you are not allowed to re-enter the bidding porcess.
Lenny6
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lsommerer » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:17 am

Lenny6 wrote:lsommerer, that spreadsheet is awesome! I haven't gotten that advanced in my auction spreadsheet, mostly due to rudimentary Excel skills! I noticed that the drop down boxes truncate the player lists past 120 or so, how do you work around that?

oops, I'm glad you caught that. I would probably have missed it until the day of our auction. The number 120 was hard coded in, because that was an arbitrary number I've used in the past as a "very high" number of players at each position. But since this one had many more players it wasn't high enough. The new version will take upto 2000 players in each of the the drop down menu. That should be more than enough for any position. If it's not enough for the "all hitters" category, let me know.

The new version replaces the old version at: http://www.sewardweb.com/baseball/
lsommerer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Gordo360 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:35 pm

Does anyone have a copy saved to their computer, or know a site where you can get an alphabetized list of players? Thanks in advance.
"Pitching is the art of instilling fear." -Sandy Koufax
Gordo360
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lsommerer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:31 pm

Gordo360 wrote:Does anyone have a copy saved to their computer, or know a site where you can get an alphabetized list of players? Thanks in advance.

Not knowing just what you were after, I put them in an Excel document and uploaded it here: http://www.sewardweb.com/baseball/
lsommerer
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner