Felipe Lopez at 2nd Base - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Felipe Lopez at 2nd Base

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:46 pm

GrubNasty wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:How about Freddy Sanchez? Doesn't he qualify at 2nd and 3rd?

I still say sanchez is flying under the radar. I guess the theory is that he cant keep his avg in the mid .300's . From the game logs it would seem his batting avg has been increasing as he gets playing time. So im not sure why most rankings have him projected at .300. Elegible at 3 positions to boot.

His high AVG is what makes him attractive. If he regresses back to around .295, he offers nothing in the way of power or speed to make up for it, making him fairly ordinary, even for a MI.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:18 pm

Sanchez is empty batting average, that just doesn't have a ton of value especially if it slips down to the .300-.310 range.

As for Lopez, I'm not a fan at all of his. He only has one year of big SB so its hard to really predict how many he'll have, he could have 25, he could have 40+ who knows. His power completely disappeared when he moved stadiums and his power sort of came out of nowhere to begin with, again he could have as few as 8 or 9 HR's or as many as 20 HR. Then add in the fact that the lineup could be really ugly since other than Zimmerman the only hitters they have are either unproven or injury prone and I see a lot more risk than value in him.

Having said that at 2B I'd list Lopez as my #7 2B but he isn't much higher than the 15th, they are all bunched up. Sanchez is would be my #9 but again their value to me is almost the same. Unless one of the top 5 or so at 2B falls farther than I expect I will likely just pick whats left in the late rounds at 2B, the bottom end of position is just way too close in value to me.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby RynMan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:37 pm

Ender wrote:Sanchez is empty batting average, that just doesn't have a ton of value especially if it slips down to the .300-.310 range.

As for Lopez, I'm not a fan at all of his. He only has one year of big SB so its hard to really predict how many he'll have, he could have 25, he could have 40+ who knows. His power completely disappeared when he moved stadiums and his power sort of came out of nowhere to begin with, again he could have as few as 8 or 9 HR's or as many as 20 HR. Then add in the fact that the lineup could be really ugly since other than Zimmerman the only hitters they have are either unproven or injury prone and I see a lot more risk than value in him.

Having said that at 2B I'd list Lopez as my #7 2B but he isn't much higher than the 15th, they are all bunched up. Sanchez is would be my #9 but again their value to me is almost the same. Unless one of the top 5 or so at 2B falls farther than I expect I will likely just pick whats left in the late rounds at 2B, the bottom end of position is just way too close in value to me.

I get the impression that when a team isn't very good offensively, like the Nationals, the manager feels like he needs to make things happen. A big part of that is running guys. I think Lopez will steal a lot as they try and "manufacture" runs. If he hits 10 HR with a solid average, you have Chone Figgins.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby MotorCityKitties » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:14 am

RynMan wrote:I get the impression that when a team isn't very good offensively, like the Nationals, the manager feels like he needs to make things happen. A big part of that is running guys. I think Lopez will steal a lot as they try and "manufacture" runs. If he hits 10 HR with a solid average, you have Chone Figgins.

...and chone goes 4-5 rounds earlier.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:53 am

MotorCityKitties wrote:
RynMan wrote:I get the impression that when a team isn't very good offensively, like the Nationals, the manager feels like he needs to make things happen. A big part of that is running guys. I think Lopez will steal a lot as they try and "manufacture" runs. If he hits 10 HR with a solid average, you have Chone Figgins.

...and chone goes 4-5 rounds earlier.

Over the course of his career, Lopez has averaged 16 HRs per full season of ABs. It's just that he's rarely been given a full time spot.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:21 am

ironman wrote:
RynMan wrote:
ironman wrote:How does Guzman honestly have a starting job?

Not only that, Manny Acta has been quoted as saying that he will hit 2nd.

2ND.

The guy is the worst hitting regular in baseball, and you are going to let him make outs at the top of your order. Real nice.

Manny Acta must have taken his rules for a batting order from Dusty Baker.

Or maybe Jim Tracy...Jack Wilson is slated to be our 2nd hitter yet again. He hit .300 one season, .270 last year, and .250 in his other three years. Freddy should be hitting 2nd. :-t

Freddy is nice in that he has all the position eligibility, and he should hit .310 or so. I just don't see him getting many HR's or RBI's because our leadoff guys aren't very good (unless they pleasantly surprise me). If Duffy/Wilson actually hit well this year, Freddy will be a great pick for people in a late round - he would be very good in 3 categories that way.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:26 am

Mercer Boy wrote:
ironman wrote:
RynMan wrote:
ironman wrote:How does Guzman honestly have a starting job?

Not only that, Manny Acta has been quoted as saying that he will hit 2nd.

2ND.

The guy is the worst hitting regular in baseball, and you are going to let him make outs at the top of your order. Real nice.

Manny Acta must have taken his rules for a batting order from Dusty Baker.

Or maybe Jim Tracy...Jack Wilson is slated to be our 2nd hitter yet again. He hit .300 one season, .270 last year, and .250 in his other three years. Freddy should be hitting 2nd. :-t

Yeah, hopefully Manny isn't infected with Tracyball.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers