LA out of the free agent biddin' business. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

LA out of the free agent biddin' business.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

LA out of the free agent biddin' business.

Postby wrveres » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:37 am

Dodgers sale unlikely to be voted on next week
Nov. 11, 2003
LOS ANGELES -- The proposed sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers to real estate developer Frank McCourt probably won't be put on the agenda for next week's owners' meeting, a high-ranking baseball official said Tuesday.

The official, who spoke on the condition he not be identified, said that while there was an outside chance McCourt could complete paperwork in time for the Nov. 20 meeting in Chicago, it was unlikely.

Owners probably won't meet again until mid-January, but the official said if the deal is ready for a vote before that time, commissioner Bud Selig could call for an earlier meeting or a vote by telephone conference call.

The Los Angeles Times, quoting an unidentified baseball official, also reported Tuesday that the sale wouldn't be put to a vote at next week's meeting.

McCourt announced Oct. 10 that he had agreed in principal to purchase the Dodgers from News Corp., a deal worth $430 million. The contract contains a Dec. 31 deadline for completion of the financial documents and a Jan. 31 date for closing the transaction.

So, reading between the lines, LA out of the free agent biddin' business, at least for the short term. My guess is the deal goes through befor Dec 20th though.
This puts LA at a huge disadvanatge. :-) :-) :-) 3 smileys
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1151)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:56 am

Agreed. They need to get this resolved as quick as possible so they can focus on free agents.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Area51's » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:27 pm

And this is the first year that the went contract happy w/ Brown Dreifort et all that they actually HAVE money to spend....and w/ all of these free agents.....sheesh.......pretty frustrating......

Actually with them, maybe its better if they don't have access to the checkbook right off the bat.
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers