Baseball World Cup (Hope it hasnt been covered already) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball World Cup (Hope it hasnt been covered already)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stevelabny » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:52 pm

They're looking at MARCH which would be during spring training, so they could easily get the stars to sign up by allowing them to "escape" their teams rigorous training programs.

The main problems:

1> will they schedule every game in a dome or warm southern city? All I have to say to that is UGH. Also, will they be smart enough to only schedule games mon-tues-wed? (baseball meet ncaa basketball tourney)

2> the u.s. players probably won't play as hard as those from other countries. They would easily have the least to gain.

3> wouldnt be surprised to see the u.s. lose as early as possible. the other teams might very well save their best pitchers to play the u.s. since that will be the "money" game back in their home country.

4> I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this gets very mild interest from the American television public. the average sports fan will think that much like the marlins couldnt compete in the world series, the other countries cant compete in the world cup. plus, theyll be sportsed-out from following their ncaa office pool. once the u.s. is eliminated, ratings will be nil.

I cant wait to drive around nyc and see all the people rooting for their ancestors home countries rather than the u.s. just like during the world cup, or sosa's run at 61. but then they put up american flags when we get attacked or go to war. patriotism to one country only people.

who will win? How many Canadian mlbers are there? Is Puerto Rico getting its own team? I dont want to pick the Dominican Rephublic if Pedro is pitching for them. The Cubans will be too busy trying to defect, and I'm not sure about the Japanese pitchers. This is a tough call. Need more information on whos playing for what teams.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Wont be succesful

Postby Siege1386 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:17 am

The only succesful World Cup that will ever be succesful in my mind is for soccer. It is "the" World Cup and everything else is just a rip off. Soccer is the only truly global sport.

Just my thoughts as a soccer player and a baseball fan.

Also, I agree that Major League players probably would take it as serious and there would be scheduling problems.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby MikeeDee » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:40 pm

I think the Netherlands as reigning European Champions and winners of more than 20 of the last 30 editions stand a good chance. ;-)

In my opinion though; this might the be one of the few topics owners and players will agree upon. In their eyes it will probably jeopardize their financial interests.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Justise » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:58 pm

A team of MLB all starts barely beat Japan when they went over there. (Didn't they need like a 3-0 series comeback?)

I really do think Japan. You see thier Little league team? Filthy. I'd like to see them vs the Detroit Tigers.
Justise
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers