Rookie of the Year Awards (Berroa, Willis) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rookie of the Year Awards (Berroa, Willis)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:25 pm

SEVEN VOTERS IGNORED WEBB. Short, this shows how stupid these people are.

Verducci:

The most bizarre result of the Rookie of the Year balloting was not that two voters took it upon themselves to re-write the eligibility rules and leave Yankees outfielder Hideki Matsui completely off the AL ticket. It was that seven voters totally ignored Arizona pitcher Brandon Webb in the NL race. It's easy to argue that Webb had a better season than the winner, Dontrelle Willis (but not a more flashy start or a more photogenic delivery). Just consider this side-by-side comparison (right).

Webb topped Willis in all those categories. Voters obviously preferred Willis' style and his won-lost record, where his 14-6 mark looked much slicker than Webb's 10-9 record. Won-lost records, however, should only be part of the equation.

Each pitcher averaged 4.6 runs per start of support. But what hurt Webb was how those runs were apportioned. He pitched 12 games in which his team scored zero, one or two runs. He was 1-7 with four no-decisions in those games. Indeed, Webb's first seven losses occurred by these soccer scores: 5-2, 3-1, 2-0, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 and 3-1.

Willis pitched in seven games with two or fewer runs. He was 3-3 with one no-decision in those contests.
Last edited by Transmogrifier on Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:52 pm

shortsavage wrote:It is hard to fault the vote of writers who watch these guys play everyday :-B . And, a 45 vote discrepancy should be a telling sign that Webb was not as deserving of a canidate as Dontrelle :-? .

hmmm

Caught in a Webb
Brandon Webb's lack of run support paled in comparison to the fact he was ignored by seven voters who left him off National League Rookie of the Year ballots.

Webb finished fourth in the NL with a 2.84 ERA and led all rookies with 172 strikeouts, yet finished a distant third in the voting. Webb (10-9) sensed that voters might have been swayed by the nine first-half wins by Florida's Dontrelle Willis (14-6), who notched 17 first-place votes en route to 118 points to easily outdistance Milwaukee outfielder Scott Podsednik (81) and Webb (73).

"It had to have been that (wins), or they already made up by their minds by the All-Star break. That had to be what it was," the mild-mannered Webb said in a conference call. "(Willis') second half was anywhere but good. He didn't do anything in the second half."

The seven voters who left Webb off their ballots (which award five points for first place, three for second and one for third) were Marcus Hayes of the Philadelphia Daily News, Fred Mitchell of the Chicago Tribune, Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle, Bill Shannon of the Sports Press Service in New York, Frank Clines of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Paul Meyer of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and Bob Broeg of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

"I thought it would be me or Podsednik, and I thought Willis would be last," Webb said.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:56 pm

I want to know who those seven voted for!!
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:05 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:I want to know who those seven voted for!!

I didn't see your post. 8-o sorry.

I figure they probably voted for Willy Mo. He had one hot week didn't he.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby shortsavage » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:26 pm

Erboes wrote:Hey, Crab,

Numbers are over rated? Are there scoring categories for blocking the plate by a catcher and taking out the SS on a double play I'm not aware of? If you're going to use emotional attachments and a players likeability to rate players for your team you are welcome to join my league any time.

I do not get where you are going with this post. Your arguement is unclear to me.

And, I do not see where you made the connection about my attachments towards "a players likeability". Weren't we talking about award winners opposed to draft preferences?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:29 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:SEVEN VOTERS IGNORED WEBB. Short, this shows how stupid these people are.

Verducci:

The most bizarre result of the Rookie of the Year balloting was not that two voters took it upon themselves to re-write the eligibility rules and leave Yankees outfielder Hideki Matsui completely off the AL ticket. It was that seven voters totally ignored Arizona pitcher Brandon Webb in the NL race. It's easy to argue that Webb had a better season than the winner, Dontrelle Willis (but not a more flashy start or a more photogenic delivery). Just consider this side-by-side comparison (right).

Webb topped Willis in all those categories. Voters obviously preferred Willis' style and his won-lost record, where his 14-6 mark looked much slicker than Webb's 10-9 record. Won-lost records, however, should only be part of the equation.

Each pitcher averaged 4.6 runs per start of support. But what hurt Webb was how those runs were apportioned. He pitched 12 games in which his team scored zero, one or two runs. He was 1-7 with four no-decisions in those games. Indeed, Webb's first seven losses occurred by these soccer scores: 5-2, 3-1, 2-0, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 and 3-1.

Willis pitched in seven games with two or fewer runs. He was 3-3 with one no-decision in those contests.

Once again, my humor misinterpreted.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby mikcou » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:35 pm

Webb should have won and it seems kinda odd that he didnt win. Maybe instead of the writers voting for the awards it should be the managers...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby shortsavage » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:42 pm

mikcou wrote:Webb should have won and it seems kinda odd that he didnt win. Maybe instead of the writers voting for the awards it should be the managers...

What about managers, like Dusty Baker, who are going to fight for their guys untill the end?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby eftda » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:45 pm

shortsavage wrote:
mikcou wrote:Webb should have won and it seems kinda odd that he didnt win. Maybe instead of the writers voting for the awards it should be the managers...

What about managers, like Dusty Baker, who are going to fight for their guys untill the end?

WHY DON'T THE FANS VOTE???
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:48 pm

eftda wrote:
shortsavage wrote:

WHY DON'T THE FANS VOTE???

If the fans would have voted for the 2003 Rookie of the Year, Ichiro would have won it.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers