Rookie of the Year Awards (Berroa, Willis) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rookie of the Year Awards (Berroa, Willis)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Shitney™ » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:22 pm

haha this thing:

Image

that's the silliest mascot i've ever seen.. ;-D ;-D
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 666
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sky Sox Front Office

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:25 pm

Shitney™ wrote:haha this thing:

Image

that's the silliest mascot i've ever seen.. ;-D ;-D


Good work :-B !!!!!!! That is a much better picture than the one I found. Do you mind if I use it?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby Shitney™ » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:28 pm

i just grabbed it from espn or mlb.com. i forget.. feel free to use it..
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 666
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sky Sox Front Office

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:29 pm

Shitney™ wrote:i just grabbed it from espn or mlb.com. i forget.. feel free to use it..


Thanks :-D .
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:53 am

shortsavage wrote:
It is hard to fault the vote of writers who watch these guys play everyday :-B . And, a 45 vote discrepancy should be a telling sign that Webb was not as deserving of a canidate as Dontrelle :-? .

From the get go, many well respected folks on this board established a preferance towards Webb (actually discussed in another cafe post, titled "The cafe did not get what it wanted..." http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25100) . If you go and look at other polls, Webb was rarely the top canidate 8-o .

Good job in rooting for the underdog ;-D , but there isn't reall much room for rooting :-o when the vote it taken from experienced baseball fantatics scattered across the globe ;-) .


SHORT Don't kid yourself. Those writer's don't see those guys play everyday. The most a writer will see 1 team, is 18 times. And outside the division, that number drops much lower. I will never understand why guys who go to journalism school, (team beat writers), are somehow held as bb experts?

SHORT What's up with your posts critizing the Cafe lately? So many picked the non winner. It's nothing but a subjective vote anyways.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby grammysboy » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:58 pm

HOOTIE wrote:[SHORT Don't kid yourself. Those writer's don't see those guys play everyday. The most a writer will see 1 team, is 18 times. And outside the division, that number drops much lower. I will never understand why guys who go to journalism school, (team beat writers), are somehow held as bb experts?

SHORT What's up with your posts critizing the Cafe lately? So many picked the non winner. It's nothing but a subjective vote anyways.


Should we expect anything less from a guy who posts himself as a giant crab?
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2861
Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ridin' the Pine

Postby shortsavage » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:20 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
shortsavage wrote:
It is hard to fault the vote of writers who watch these guys play everyday :-B . And, a 45 vote discrepancy should be a telling sign that Webb was not as deserving of a canidate as Dontrelle :-? .

From the get go, many well respected folks on this board established a preferance towards Webb (actually discussed in another cafe post, titled "The cafe did not get what it wanted..." http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25100) . If you go and look at other polls, Webb was rarely the top canidate 8-o .

Good job in rooting for the underdog ;-D , but there isn't reall much room for rooting :-o when the vote it taken from experienced baseball fantatics scattered across the globe ;-) .


SHORT Don't kid yourself. Those writer's don't see those guys play everyday. The most a writer will see 1 team, is 18 times. And outside the division, that number drops much lower. I will never understand why guys who go to journalism school, (team beat writers), are somehow held as bb experts?

SHORT What's up with your posts critizing the Cafe lately? So many picked the non winner. It's nothing but a subjective vote anyways.


I think you are taking a lot of my jokes and sarcasm too seriously :-? . I try to compliment people as often as possible ;-7 . Perhaps we just clash because I think numbers are overrated and they are the fondation of 99% of your posts :-S ?

...about calling the journalists experts...I know some of them hold very biased views and they may not get a chance to study EVERY team. But, if they spend a good chunk of their time observing baseball, you would think that they should be picking up on a lot.

I loved DK's point about popularity, where he asked how you can say the media held a Dontrelle bias when Matsui (another huge absorber of media attention) did not win in his league?

It is hard to discredit everyone who disagrees with you, although it is always possible. And, I do not think we should focus on discrediting the MLB award voters.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby Erboes » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:19 pm

Hey, Crab,

Numbers are over rated? Are there scoring categories for blocking the plate by a catcher and taking out the SS on a double play I'm not aware of? If you're going to use emotional attachments and a players likeability to rate players for your team you are welcome to join my league any time.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1433
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PresHabib » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:24 pm

DK wrote:I like Webb, and he was a better pitcher, but without dontrelle there's no way his team goes to the playoffs. AZ wasn't carried to the playoffs by Webb. I agree that Webb was better, but Willis was a sparkplug and i can understand his victory.


I would argue that Josh Beckett, Pudge, quietly consistent Mark Redman, Pierre and Castillo, and slugging Mike Lowell had as much if not a whole helluva lot more to do with the Marlins making the playoffs than Dontrelle Willis did. I think Willis was just more in the right place at the right time (i.e. Florida in early June, after the arrival of Jack McKeon) and thus was given much more credit than he was due. This isn't to say that I think he had nothing to do it, but I hesitate to give anything behind normal credit to him for his teams unbelievable season. Rather than saying Willis carried his team to the playoffs, I would say that Willis was a good contributor on a better team that happened to make the playoffs. Plus, Willis' hot streak was given much more hype than it needed thanks to A) it came right when the Marlins realized they had a good team, B) He beat Randy Johnson in that awesome midsummer pitchers duel, and C) his weird-a$$ windup gave us all something to talk about. He was great when he came up in his first 8 or so starts, dont get me wrong, but after that he was pretty middle of the road. I didn't expect him to keep up his sub-2 ERA all season, but I also didnt see him putting up ERA's in the 5's every day either, which he wound up doing.

Anyway, Webb was much better for a much longer time than Willis this season and, playoffs or not, I find his loss to Willis slightly irksome. Not altogether surprising, but irksome nonetheless. I feel like he won the award due to an unbelievable 4,5 or 6 weeks before the all star break and then basically surviving the rest of the season. And, let us not forget, the kid was banished to the BULLPEN once the playoffs started, McKeon didn't even think he had been pitching well enough to remain in the rotation. I think that really says alot to.

Dont get me wrong DK, im not raggin on you or anything, I happen to like your posts very much, I just disagree with your use of the word "carried" and used it as a springboard to state my opinion of Willis vs. Webb.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1118
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:35 pm

shortsavage wrote:I loved DK's point about popularity, where he asked how you can say the media held a Dontrelle bias when Matsui (another huge absorber of media attention) did not win in his league?


I answered in another post about Matsui's popularity falling after such a slow start. Dontrelle got the publicity when it mattered.

Something else that a lot of people failed to mention is that some of the voters would not vote for Matsui on principal. They don't consider him a true "rookie". Just like a few years ago when some writers wouldn't vote for Pedro for MVP because he was a pitcher. You have to take that into consideration as well.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: scarnicease and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact