Rookie of the Year Awards (Berroa, Willis) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rookie of the Year Awards (Berroa, Willis)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:31 pm

I like Webb, and he was a better pitcher, but without dontrelle there's no way his team goes to the playoffs. AZ wasn't carried to the playoffs by Webb. I agree that Webb was better, but Willis was a sparkplug and i can understand his victory.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KPucks » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:13 pm

I only wish I could have seen Steinbrenner's face when he learned Matsui lost.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:43 pm

DK wrote:
Madison wrote: I'm dissappointed with the voters for going with the hype instead of the numbers on this one. :-/

They didn't pick Matsui, and he had tons more hype than willis surrounding him.

A great point DK ;-D.

It is hard to fault the vote of writers who watch these guys play everyday :-B . And, a 45 vote discrepancy should be a telling sign that Webb was not as deserving of a canidate as Dontrelle :-? .

From the get go, many well respected folks on this board established a preferance towards Webb (actually discussed in another cafe post, titled "The cafe did not get what it wanted..." http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25100) . If you go and look at other polls, Webb was rarely the top canidate 8-o .

Good job in rooting for the underdog ;-D , but there isn't reall much room for rooting :-o when the vote it taken from experienced baseball fantatics scattered across the globe ;-) .
Last edited by shortsavage on Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:45 pm

KPucks wrote:I only wish I could have seen Steinbrenner's face when he learned Matsui lost.

I can not imagine Steinbrenner being terribly dissapointed or caught up in the matter.

From a business perspective, unless the Yank's are planning to trade Matsui, isn't it better if your player's have fewer reasons to ask for a raise, so long are their production is the same?
Last edited by shortsavage on Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:53 pm

Madison wrote:
DK wrote:
Madison wrote: I'm dissappointed with the voters for going with the hype instead of the numbers on this one. :-/

They didn't pick Matsui, and he had tons more hype than willis surrounding him.

He did? 8-o Sure, at the beginning of the year, but once Dontrelle got rolling, all the attention shifted to him. It's clear with the numbers that Dontrelle is 3rd to Webb and Pods.

Maybe from the perspective of a National League fan, Dontrelle could have been seen as a bigger media magnet than Matsui, but I am sure the Matsui story was told just as many times as the Willis story :-? .

Only Matsui's was distrubuted over a long period of time and Dontrelle's surfaced mid-season and was more of a short-term, high impact.

You sound a little dissapointed Madison. I agree that Webb was a better fantasy baseball Rookie of the Year, but I think Dontrelle is the guy you should have expected to win the ROY award, given its various connotations.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby kentx12 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:57 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Toejam wrote:Podsednik was robbed.

Nope, Webb was. And you should sign up, join the cafe.

Im my opinion I believe both could have been placed ahead of Willis. I assumed it would go Webb, Podsednick , then Willis. I guess all the hype won the award for him. As mentioned above though it will certanally help Webb fall a round or 2 further in most drafts next year.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Shitney™ » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:07 pm

shortsavage wrote:
KPucks wrote:I only wish I could have seen Steinbrenner's face when he learned Matsui lost.

I can not imagine Steinbrenner being terribly dissapointed or caught up in the matter.

From a business perspective, unless the Yank's are planning to trade Matsui, isn't it better if your player's have fewer reasons to ask for a raise, so long are their production in the same?

ok i give up shortsavage... what is that avatar???? a big orange with legs?
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:08 pm

kentx12 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
Toejam wrote:Podsednik was robbed.

Nope, Webb was. And you should sign up, join the cafe.

Im my opinion I believe both could have been placed ahead of Willis. I assumed it would go Webb, Podsednick , then Willis. I guess all the hype won the award for him. As mentioned above though it will certanally help Webb fall a round or 2 further in most drafts next year.

I am unclear about the term "all the hype" (that continues to appear in posts made by people who feel that Dontrelle should not have won the award). Since the vote was taken upon the conclusion of the regular season, what hype would there been to have had? Wasn't Dontrelle's biggest "hype", at the time, his late season struggles?

I am having a tough time digesting that Dontrelle's temporary ticket to fame played as big of a role in his winning of the NL ROY as some of you are suggesting.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby DK » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:09 pm

Shitney™ wrote:ok i give up shortsavage... what is that avatar???? a big orange with legs?

I agree. I'm totally lost on this one.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:15 pm

Shitney™ wrote:ok i give up shortsavage... what is that avatar???? a big orange with legs?

Glad you asked. It is "The Crazy Crab", a mascot the Giants employed in the 80's.

He was around during my preschool days and I think I really missed out! I studied up on him because I always hear middle-aged Giants fans yelling, "bring back the crab, the crazy, crazy crab!"

He was essentially a venting outlet for all of the frustrated Giants fans. They would throw trash at him and treat him like dirt. But, everyday he would still take the field and "nurture" their sorrows.

He should hold a place in baseball history and continues to be missed by countless Giants fans.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers