Garza+ for Wood? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Garza+ for Wood?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Garza+ for Wood?

Postby JRM4833 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:28 pm

18 team H2H auction league. My pitching is pretty stacked (considering 18 team league). Currently I have Johan, Sheets, B Myers, Felix, Lester, Matsuzaka and Robertson. Also have Jeff Niemann and Adam Miller on my minor league roster. I just recently traded Stephen Drew to get Johan so am somewhat in need of a SS prospect. Another owner has started talks about some kind of Garza for Wood swap (I have right to match Garza at $10). Wood is still a minor leaguer and would go into a 5 year prospect contract when called up (at $2, $4, $6, etc.). I'm pretty sure the owner is looking for a minor league draft pick along with the right to match Garza. I could likely afford a minor league draft pick (2 first rounders, including #1 overall which I'll use on Matsuzaka, 2 second rounders and 1 third) but don't really want to part with a good one. Only problem is that this is year 3 and the available prospect list is somewhat slim. Anyone have any thoughts about whether I should explore this a bit more?

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nathan050904 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:10 pm

The thing is you say your looking for a short stop. There's a lot of talk of Brandon Wood eventually switching to 3rd base. Not due to his defense at short stop but because, the Angels have a log jam at short stop with the likes of Orlando Cabrera and Erick Aybar. As a owner of Brandon Wood I'd like for him to stay at SS but, if he doesn't his value is still very high. His bat should play anywhere.

However, you want a short stop so maybe look at aquiring Reid Brignac who has good power for the short stop position and he should hit for a pretty good average. He's also very likely to stick at the position.

If you want to take a chance on Brandon Wood. Garza is deffinatly worth it. I am torn on the draft pick. I really like Brandon Wood A LOT! I paid a huge price to get him myself (I traded Peavy in the deal)

Heres how I rank the top 5 SS prospects with Stephen Drew included even though he's not a rookie:

Brandon Wood
Stephen Drew
Reid Brignac
Troy Tulowitzki
Erick Aybar
Elvis Andrus

*I was torn between Aybar and Andrus for the 5th spot.

If you keep the pick I may not buy into the Dice-K hype. I really don't think he's going to be as dominate as a lot of people are thinking.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:18 pm

I would do it, but not if you have to include the top overall pick. If you can do Garza + Your lower first round pick for Wood, you should do it. Keep the first overall pick and take Matsuzaka (of Garza, Wood, and Dice-K, Matsuzaka is the best player).

Garza is a good prospect, but Wood is the better prospect plus he is a hitter therefore less risky.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby JRM4833 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:21 pm

Thanks for the extensive response. I guess I overstated it a bit as I'm not exactly hunting for a SS. Just figured that it's a good position to always have a prospect (along with SP). Kind of shocked to see you rank him ahead of Drew though. Didn't know he was that highly ranked, but knew he was a top 2-3 SS prospect. Wouldn't be the end of the world I guess if he moved to 3B since that's actually my team's weakest position (currently have Ensberg filling the role).

As for the draft pick, I really don't know what he'd be looking for. Can't imagine it would be a high pick as Wood and Garza are at least somewhat similar in potential (and most rankings have them both in top 20 or so). Just did my wish list for the minor league draft though and was suprised at some guys who are out there (Andrew Miller, Longoria, Elbert, Gallardo, Brignac, Lincecum, etc.).

Basically, the main reason I was looking to dish Garza is his price. Not exactly a huge price tag, but I currently only have $19 to spend on my last 5 spots (mostly filling bench). Figured that with my pitching I could afford to ship him and tuck away another prospect.

As for Matsuzaka, maybe it's the Bostonian in me, but everything I've seen of this guy makes me very positive about his prospects. The guy's stuff is just nasty IMO. I also think the Sox front office has been very good in recent years at picking out young talent. The fact that they spent like they did to get this kid just gives me more confidence.

Thanks again Nathan.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby nathan050904 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:20 pm

Yea, I put Wood ahead of Drew because, of the power. I can see Wood developing into a 30+ HR threat at SS if he was to stick at that position. While Drew has power I don't think his power is near the level of Brandon Wood. Drew should be a 20-25HR guy annually. Wood is also a extra base hit machine. He had 101 extra base hits in 134 games 2005 and 71 in 118 games in 2006. He draws alot of comparrisons to Cal Ripken Jr. Woods bat will play anywhere because of his power. There were concerns that he'd out grow SS or couldn't handle it deffensively. He isn't going to win any gold gloves but, his defense is good enough to stick at SS. Erick Aybar is not the talent that Wood is but, his defense is better. Who knows? the "experts" could be wrong and he may stick at SS but, he's a top 10 prospect and probably a top 5.

Dice-K is overrated by a lot of people like I was saying. He hasn't thrown an inning yet and already some of the fantasy magazines have him as a top 10 pitcher in the majors. I don't forsee him being the "ace" everyone is saying he'll be. I think he'll develope into a nice #2 starter which isn't bad. He could prove me wrong. I am just not as excited about Dice-K as most. Theres a lot of people like myself who feel he is being overrated. You can probably take him with the pick but, only because, he is going to contribute the fastest and he pitches for a winner. I may however, try and trade the pick itself for another 1st round a later pick if that's possible and let someone else buy the hype of Dice-K.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dicehound » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:40 pm

I do think Dice-K is going to be awesome, and even if he does turn out to be a #2 this year, who else from your list of prospects is going to step in this year and give you 200 innings and #2 quality stats? He's worth the hype in that context, IMO.

I too have heard the comparisons of Wood to Ripken Jr. Wood reminds me personally more of a Troy Glaus type. He hits a ton of XBHs and strikes out even more. I doubt very seriously that he sticks to SS, basically because he's built more like a 3B. That's kind of where I get confused with the Ripken comparisons.

Anyway, I would definitely trade a $10 Garza (overpriced in my book) for a $2 Wood. While he might not stick at SS, he's one of the minors most powerful and legitimate bats.
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nathan050904 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:47 pm

Yea, I agree he probably won't stay at SS but, I can live with that he'll make a great back-up to Alex Gordon for my fantasy team.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Surfs up » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:50 pm

I have read there is some concern about Woods strikeouts and lack of plate disapline. Thoughts of another McPherson of all or nothing? Also saw something about being comapred to Rob Deer but as an infielder.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Postby nathan050904 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:34 pm

No, I am not concerned about him being another Dallas McPherson. He is a better hitter overall.

How come he's being compared to Dallas McPherson? Simply because, like McPherson he's a Angel and has a high strikeout rate?

I dare someone to go and look at the k-rate of Ryan Howard.

"Wood's swing is designed for one thing: power. Strikeouts will always be an issue, but he has enough raw hitting skills to bat .270-.290 in the majors"- K. Goldstein- Baseball Prospectus.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Surfs up » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:38 pm

We shall see
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball