Frustrated and Confused - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Frustrated and Confused

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Frustrated and Confused

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 06, 2002 3:51 pm

Hello, I just found your site and it looks awesome. I am in a Sportline Head to Head 10 team league. I am currently 0-5. Injuries have hurt me since I can only make weekly transactions. For instance I have found out on Monday or Tuesday that a player is hurt for the week, and I cannot change them out of the lineup. Below is my team. I will mark the starters and the bench players. I just don't know what to do. Any advice will help. If you have questions, please ask them and I will answer them. Thanks!

Hitters

C- Mike Piazza
1B- Richie Sexson
2B- Roberto Alomar
3B-Phil Nevin
SS- Tony Batista (Just acquired him in a trade when I gave up Jose Valentin and Jose Mesa)
OF- Gary Sheffield
OF- Ryan Klesko
OF- Adam Dunn
UTIL- Shea Hillenbrand

Bench

Juan Gonzalez
Ellis Burks
Austin Kearns

Starting Pitchers

Brett Tomko
Jamie Moyer
Odalis Perez
Javier Vazquez
Carlos Hernandez
Troy Percival
Livan Hernandez

BENCH

Jeff D'Amico
Andy Ashby
Mark Prior

On the waiver wire for pitchers of name value are: Josh Fogg, Kirk Rueter, Glendon Rusch, Vladamir Nunez, Jorge Julio, Brett Myers (minors)

Comments, suggestions?
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

bench

Postby cwebb » Mon May 06, 2002 5:15 pm

You should definitely change your bench, you've got three OFs there but no IFs. Alomar will be alright, Nevin is good, but your 3B/Util could get an upgrade if you can trade for guys that are slumping right now, considering the depth we all awaited this season at 3B that should be easy.

Your pitching staff doesn't impress me, I'd consider taking Julio for Prior. I love Prior but he just got to AAA and could have a slow start in the majors, Jorge is the closer now and will give you saves and good ERA and WHIP!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chicago » Mon May 06, 2002 7:16 pm

Just a brief comment:

I sympathize with your frustration. On one of my teams I have Sheffield and Alomar, and on paper, those are some great names, but both have been fantasy duds so far this season. Alomar will definitley turn it around, but I'm worried about Shieffield. The guy doesn't seem like a gamer to me. I have him on the bench for now until he decides to turn it around.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Mon May 06, 2002 7:48 pm

Welcome aboard, mktgteach! Glad you like the site. I also sympathize with your situation. There's nothing as frustrating as putting together a team that should challenge for the title, only to find yourself in the cellar thanks to a few slumping stars.

Anyway, unless your league's scoring is very unusual, I like this team. Your offense looks fine, although I agree that benching Sheffield for Kearns might help, at least in the short run. I also thik that, in a ten-team league, there has to be somebody better than Hillenbrand for your utility slot.

Your pitching looks decent, as long as your league is like most h2h formats and undervalues closers. If closers have high value, or if you have a tight innings cap, grab both Nunez and Julio (in that order, although cwebb will disagree here) for Ashby and either Prior (if you want to play it safe) or D'Amico (if you don't mind a little risk).

I like Fogg - if wins aren't too important under your scoring, I'd consider grabbing him instead of Moyer, although you already have quite a bit of youth on your staff. I'm less enthusiastic about Rueter and Rusch - they'll be solid, but I'd only consider one of them (probably Rueter) if one of your youngsters falters. I like Myers' potential, and I like the enivironment he'll be in, but I think one unproven phenom per staff is enough. You could, however, see if anyone would trade you a stud for Prior based on his hype, and then pick up Myers.

Overall, I'm optimistic that your team will improve soon. One thing I'd love to see would be another tried and true starter. With starting pitching being so important in h2h, a Hudson caliber arm would be just the boost you need. Your sp's are good, but they'll have some rough patches over the course of the season, and a steady veteran would help smooth those over.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 07, 2002 10:42 am

Thank you for your comments. I will say that I have dropped Ashby and I picked up Josh Fogg.

I was thinking of trying to package Hillenbrand/Moyer together for a pitcher?

My real question is this. I was thinking of offering Ryan Klesko to an owner who could use him at 1b or OF. He needs both for Greg Maddux. Is this a good idea based on my roster?

I really hate the idea of dropping Moyer to pick up Nunez or Jorge.

When Burks is healthy and Gonzalez comes back, I plan on using them in my lineup, so Hillenbrand is expendable. I just hate to completely drop him.
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 07, 2002 10:44 am

Let me clarify that when I say "I hate the idea", I am NOT saying that I disagree or do not like your advice.

My point is that I really fear putting Moyer on the waiver wire. I think that he has more clout due to his team and his past for the waiver wire. Or I am completely off base?
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Tue May 07, 2002 10:59 am

Ashby for Fogg seems like an excellent move. ;-D

I like the Hillenbrand/Moyer package idea very much. You probably won't get a true stud, but if you can get a solid starter, you'll come out ahead.

Klesko for Maddux is interesting. I like the idea, but I am a bit worried about his health. This sort of injury is very unpredictable, and his control hasn't looked like what we're used to with the exception of his last start. Still, I think the potential reward justifies the risk; go ahead and make this offer.

I understand what you mean by hating to drop Moyer (but don't hesitate to disagree with anything said here, anyway :-D ). You're right, if you can get a decent return for him, you'll feel a lot better when he does perform well. Especially in most h2h leagues, he certainly isn't waiver wire material; the point was merely that if closers are worth more than usual under your scoring system, you'd have to consider dropping him or other good players to grab saves.

Good luck with your offers!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 07, 2002 11:15 am

Another trade question.

What do you think of

Brett Tomko
Jamie Moyer
Austin Kearns

for

Kevin Brown (another injury risk)
Irabu

My thought process is that with Adam Dunn, and the questions with Kearns once Griffey returns, he really isn't going to make it into my lineup. Moyer is struggling. Tomko has been impressive, but unproven. So I thought that if Brown is healthy, I would rather have him. What do you think?
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Tue May 07, 2002 11:23 am

How much of a gambler are you? Brown is certainly one of the best when healthy, but I'm not convinced he's completely over his elbow trouble. Since you don't really need Irabu with several closers available for free, i think you'd be risking too much here.

If Brown is healthy, you'll win this trade, but that if might be a bit too big at the moment. I'd sit tight, or make a lower offer while removing Irabu from the deal (not that he's a bad player to have right now).
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 07, 2002 11:34 am

I agree, that is too much and the risks are too high.

Another question. Probably my best chance of dealing Hillenbrand/Moyer is to a team who has Aramis Ramirez as their 3B. Below is a list of their pitchers, who would you ask for in a this trade?

Vincente Padilla
C.C. Sabathia
Hideo Nomo
Jason Izzy
Russ Ortiz
Todd Ritchie
Armando Benietez
Matt Clement
Pedro Martinez (untouchable)

Man I love this site, it is nice to get feedback from people that aren't in my league.
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers