Possible to Punt Wins in a 6X6 (holds)? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Possible to Punt Wins in a 6X6 (holds)?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Possible to Punt Wins in a 6X6 (holds)?

Postby nickles05 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:49 pm

Im trying to figure out if it is a viable strategy to pull a type of modified LIMA plan in a 6X6 league which includes Holds (OPS on offense).

The league is a 10 team auction draft that has a $280 dollar auction with 2 SP slots and 5 P slots. The is no min inning limit.

Many players in my league are inexperienced and in the past, top hold guys have gone very late or undrafted due to the lack of knowledge (and predictability of holds). Therefore i think i can draft some of the top, lesser know middle relievers for cheap.

Basically, do you think it is feasible to draft heavily on solid middle relievers and closers, and just picking up a few late round SP sleepers, and trying to win ERA, WHIP, Holds, Saves while staying in the middle of the road for K and being near last or last in Wins.

Obviously i would attempt and draft an offensive team which would finish near the top in all 6 categories.

I think it is a plan that could work if executed effectively... but is it too big of a risk to take?

Thanks
nickles05 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:46 pm

H2H or roto? What is the IP minimum?

Standard answer is that it's not worthwhile to punt any category in roto. Also, in the strictest sense it's really not possible to punt Wins the way you can a stat like HLD, SB, etc. You can devalue them but that's probably a wise strategy in any setup since Wins are volatile.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:25 am

i think hes saying theres no minimum innings pitched...i think the strategy can work, but holds change from year to year as well...i would devalue wins, and just pick up hot pitchers throughout the season, but i would think you would want to draft at least a couple you can rely on.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Return to Baseball Leftovers