Tim Kurkjian on Kazmir - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tim Kurkjian on Kazmir

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tim Kurkjian on Kazmir

Postby captoats85 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:29 pm

As someone who has a lot invested in Kazmir, I am definitely concerned. His shoulder, of course, is the main concern with him right now. He improved a lot last year - more K, less K - but is he going to be healthy enough to do it for 200 IP?

Tim Kurkjian: I think it's a real concern, because he's not a big guy. This thing has lingered and he is the only real legitimate starting pitcher on that team. So, they might have to push him a little because they need him so badly. But I'm sure they won't push him to further injury. It will be real interesting to see if he has any major issues this spring.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=14650[/i]
captoats85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tim Kurkjian on Kazmir

Postby captoats85 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:30 pm

captoats85 wrote:As someone who has a lot invested in Kazmir, I am definitely concerned. His shoulder, of course, is the main concern with him right now. He improved a lot last year - more K, less K - but is he going to be healthy enough to do it for 200 IP?

Tim Kurkjian: I think it's a real concern, because he's not a big guy. This thing has lingered and he is the only real legitimate starting pitcher on that team. So, they might have to push him a little because they need him so badly. But I'm sure they won't push him to further injury. It will be real interesting to see if he has any major issues this spring.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=14650[/i]

Kazmir 05
K/9: 8.1 ... bb/9: 4.7

Kazmir 06
k/9: 9.3 .... bb/9: 3.0
captoats85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:38 pm

I don't think the injury has to do with him being a small guy. He was always a bit of a higher risk due to his mechanics and the sharp sliders he throws.

I agree that he is a bit on the higher risk side due to those reasons I mentioned and also why I am not planning on keeping him for 07.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby glcmustliveon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:00 pm

Which pitchers aren't high risk again? I too have a lot invested, hes the only pitcher I'm keeping, he says his shoulder is 100%, so I'd have to believe him.

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:55 pm

Kaz is fine. Again ESPN doesn't know what they are talking about. Kaxz could have pitched last year, he didn't not just b/c of an injury, but some other circumstances as well. He is as healthy as he has ever been and will be ready to go come teh start of the season
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JoshExley » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:13 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Kaz is fine. Again ESPN doesn't know what they are talking about. Kaxz could have pitched last year, he didn't not just b/c of an injury, but some other circumstances as well. He is as healthy as he has ever been and will be ready to go come teh start of the season

Must be a D-Ray fan... ;-)

He might get pushed, but for an organization known for delaying youngsters (either for care of their health or their own care for starting the arbitration clock), I doubt they'll push him. Not like they'll be contending for the AL East this year. If it were 2009, I could see them relying heavily on him; not this year.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Doughhead » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:27 pm

JoshExley wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Kaz is fine. Again ESPN doesn't know what they are talking about. Kaxz could have pitched last year, he didn't not just b/c of an injury, but some other circumstances as well. He is as healthy as he has ever been and will be ready to go come teh start of the season

What tipped you off? The fact that his user name is deerayfan072? :-D
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby pat1999 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:50 pm

Doughhead wrote:
JoshExley wrote:

you must be a doughhead
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JoshExley » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:59 pm

Doughhead wrote:
JoshExley wrote:

You think?
It was a joke that some obviously didn't get....hence my "winking" emoticon.
Same thing as if I said Jersey was the armpit of NY and the [ Mod Edit ] of PA...
Last edited by JoshExley on Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby idealFX » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:59 pm

kirky brings up a good point that was under the radar after he hit the dl of the last time last year... However, I don't agree that they'll push him harder this year. They simply have a team full of young studs, and most likely, with him being the only good pitcher on the staff, with almost no bullpen help, I don't even think the team will win 70 games. With that in mind, he'll touch 160IP, and then shut down around early september.

he's only, what, 26? his k/9 and bb/9 improved of course, and he can only get better. the rays just dont want him turning into a 1.7 mil a year for a damaged arm, kerry wood.
"I dont know who the Royals will have in centerfield now that Estebean German took one in the mouth on a fly ball. Probably Kerry Robinson which means that the Royals start with one out every 3 innings."

-Perlick
idealFX
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers