Gomes: Slated for DH Duty - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Gomes: Slated for DH Duty

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Gomes: Slated for DH Duty

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:13 pm

Update: If Gomes (shoulder) is healthy, he'll likely be the Devil Rays' DH on most days, the team's official site reports.

Recommendation: Gomes underwent shoulder surgery last September. Rehab reportedly has gone very well, and Gomes is expected to be able to swing a bat as soon as he arrives at the Rays' camp. The team also hopes Gomes' right shoulder will be healthy enough to allow him to play some outfield on an occasional basis as well. The Rays have many DH-first base candidates in camp with no clear incumbents, so Gomes will get every chance to claim a near-everyday role.



What do you all think of not giving up on gomes now?
Image
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3058
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 6 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tampa, praying for a new stadium.

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:23 am

I love Gomes as a person, but i think the pitchers have found a hole in his swing and are exploiting it. Right now i would rather have Upton at DH and wiggy at 1st. If gomes comes back healthy and does what he did in the begining of last year i would love it, i just don't see it.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:29 am

Blah. Our lineup is not good enough to cover up a .220 hitter.
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Postby BooksRnot4U » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:19 am

gomes does give us some power that is pretty vacant from our lineup but I say just plug in Upton into the DH duty and see if Gomes can fully recover from his injuries in AAA, or at least that is what I'd do
Image

Thanks to Alec03 for the awesome sig
BooksRnot4U
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 419
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tampa, FL

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:35 am

BooksRnot4U wrote:gomes does give us some power that is pretty vacant from our lineup but I say just plug in Upton into the DH duty and see if Gomes can fully recover from his injuries in AAA, or at least that is what I'd do


Maddon has said that they want Upton to feel comfortable offensively and not be pressured by his defense, lets hope that includes some DH stints
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

hmm...

Postby thegilby » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:23 am

Off rotoworld.com which pulled it off the Tampa Tribune:

Jonny Gomes reportedly packed on a significant amount of muscle during the offseason and said Tuesday his injured shoulder is 100 percent healthy.


"Did you see Jonny Gomes walking around?" manager Joe Maddon said. "Oh my God, I didn't even recognize him." Maddon said Gomes will primarily work in the outfield, but there's been some speculation that he could see time at first base as well.
thegilby
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 320
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: hmm...

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:31 am

thegilby wrote:Off rotoworld.com which pulled it off the Tampa Tribune:

Jonny Gomes reportedly packed on a significant amount of muscle during the offseason and said Tuesday his injured shoulder is 100 percent healthy.


"Did you see Jonny Gomes walking around?" manager Joe Maddon said. "Oh my God, I didn't even recognize him." Maddon said Gomes will primarily work in the outfield, but there's been some speculation that he could see time at first base as well.


Yea Mr. Gomes did Rehab and came back to the Rays shredded and jacked. Hmmmmmm :-°
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Re: hmm...

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:36 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
thegilby wrote:Off rotoworld.com which pulled it off the Tampa Tribune:

Jonny Gomes reportedly packed on a significant amount of muscle during the offseason and said Tuesday his injured shoulder is 100 percent healthy.


"Did you see Jonny Gomes walking around?" manager Joe Maddon said. "Oh my God, I didn't even recognize him." Maddon said Gomes will primarily work in the outfield, but there's been some speculation that he could see time at first base as well.


Yea Mr. Gomes did Rehab and came back to the Rays shredded and jacked. Hmmmmmm :-°




Jacked, that is just great. Now he will hit 185 this year because he will be swinging for the fences on every pitch. My dream would be he hits a 600 foot home run in ST, and some sucker GM trades us 2 boxes of baseballs for him. O:-)
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Re: hmm...

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:20 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
thegilby wrote:Off rotoworld.com which pulled it off the Tampa Tribune:

Jonny Gomes reportedly packed on a significant amount of muscle during the offseason and said Tuesday his injured shoulder is 100 percent healthy.


"Did you see Jonny Gomes walking around?" manager Joe Maddon said. "Oh my God, I didn't even recognize him." Maddon said Gomes will primarily work in the outfield, but there's been some speculation that he could see time at first base as well.


Yea Mr. Gomes did Rehab and came back to the Rays shredded and jacked. Hmmmmmm :-°




Jacked, that is just great. Now he will hit 185 this year because he will be swinging for the fences on every pitch. My dream would be he hits a 600 foot home run in ST, and some sucker GM trades us 2 boxes of baseballs for him. O:-)


That might be one of the funnist things i have read in a while
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Postby BooksRnot4U » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:47 pm

He will hit 185 most likely :) at least IMO but he is one of the few true power threats we have but there are better DHs out there

Bernie Williams anybody?? I know its not going to happen

we should trade for Franco and give him a DH spot

with 500 AB we could see 10 - 60 - .280 better than Gomes IMO

maybe we should trade for prince fielder and teach him how to pitch :0
Image

Thanks to Alec03 for the awesome sig
BooksRnot4U
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 419
Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tampa, FL

Next

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
NY Mets at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Philadelphia at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Houston at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact