Hardaway makes some bold comments - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Hardaway makes some bold comments

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:39 pm

ironman wrote:Is it better to be genuine if it means not being PC? Sure.

Is it better to just keep your mouth shut instead of displaying to the world how much of an ignorant jackass you are? Probably.

It's gonna take someone to come out, while they're still playing to bring change and tolerance in the pros, not unlike Magic coming out with his HIV. A lot of players were incredibly freaked out by it and didn't feel comfortable playing with Magic. Eventually things calmed down and as people became better educated about it, they realized it wasn't a big deal.

Granted HIV and homosexuality are slightly different matters, but with both, fear and ignorance being the greatest hurdles to overcome in a professional sports setting I think there's a valid comparison there.

You the man ironman ;-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:41 pm

acsguitar wrote:It woulda been so awesome if after this rant

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

He added on:

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

And that would have been hilarious.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:54 pm

Coppermine wrote:

Is it better to just keep your mouth shut instead of displaying to the world how much of an ignorant jackass you are? Probably.

It's gonna take someone to come out, while they're still playing to bring change and tolerance in the pros, not unlike Magic coming out with his HIV. A lot of players were incredibly freaked out by it and didn't feel comfortable playing with Magic. Eventually things calmed down and as people became better educated about it, they realized it wasn't a big deal.

Granted HIV and homosexuality are slightly different matters, but with both, fear and ignorance being the greatest hurdles to overcome in a professional sports setting I think there's a valid comparison there.

You the man ironman ;-D

Guess you metal guys have to stick together, huh. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Half Massed » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:07 pm

I don't applaud Hardaway at all for this. It's one thing to state in a tactful manner that you're uncomfortable sharing a locker room with homosexuals, or even that you're uncomfortable associating with them off the court, but it's another thing entirely to say what Hardaway did. The biggest difference is that it shifts the blame from him to them. It goes from "I'm not comfortable, but that's just my personal stuff" to "it's wrong that they're making me uncomfortable and it shouldn't be allowed."

I would have fully supported him if he had gone about it the first way. I do think PC sensibilities are too strong, and would have applauded the willingness to express his discomfort, but not at all in the way in which he did it. There's no point in applauding honesty if that honesty is preaching hate.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:23 pm

Half Massed wrote:I don't applaud Hardaway at all for this. It's one thing to state in a tactful manner that you're uncomfortable sharing a locker room with homosexuals, or even that you're uncomfortable associating with them off the court, but it's another thing entirely to say what Hardaway did. The biggest difference is that it shifts the blame from him to them. It goes from "I'm not comfortable, but that's just my personal stuff" to "it's wrong that they're making me uncomfortable and it shouldn't be allowed."

I would have fully supported him if he had gone about it the first way. I do think PC sensibilities are too strong, and would have applauded the willingness to express his discomfort, but not at all in the way in which he did it. There's no point in applauding honesty if that honesty is preaching hate.

Are you listening to Fox Sports Radio, cause they said pretty much the exact same thing like 10 minutes ago. :-B :-b
joelamosobadiah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:24 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

You the man ironman ;-D

Guess you metal guys have to stick together, huh. :-b

Fe may be stronger, but Cu turns a cool green color when it oxidizes. :-b
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:52 pm

Someone really wants the spotlight......

Why are they interviewing this guy?
GreatestShowOnEarth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Coppermine » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:05 pm

They banned him from the "all-star festivities." Whatever that means.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:43 pm

Coppermine wrote:They banned him from the "all-star festivities." Whatever that means.

No hot groupie sex for Tim.

Seriously, the All-Star Game in Vegas? Think of how many children will be conceived this weekend?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby LukeW9027 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:32 pm

to quote Danica Patrick- "stupid idiot!"
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027