Hardaway makes some bold comments - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Hardaway makes some bold comments

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:50 pm

josebach wrote:
Yoda wrote:Did he bump his head a lot or something? Even if you thought that way about homos, why come out and announce it to the public? Seems stupid to do this on a radio show. Maybe he is like a little kid who just wants attention whether it is positive or not.

ho·mo
Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. a homosexual.

Did I offend you?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby statsman88 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:54 pm

ironman wrote:Is it better to be genuine if it means not being PC? Sure.

Is it better to just keep your mouth shut instead of displaying to the world how much of an ignorant jackass you are? Probably.

It's gonna take someone to come out, while they're still playing to bring change and tolerance in the pros, not unlike Magic coming out with his HIV. A lot of players were incredibly freaked out by it and didn't feel comfortable playing with Magic. Eventually things calmed down and as people became better educated about it, they realized it wasn't a big deal.

Granted HIV and homosexuality are slightly different matters, but with both, fear and ignorance being the greatest hurdles to overcome in a professional sports setting I think there's a valid comparison there.

I think with all the attention John Amaechi has been getting lately, alot of players (including retired) probably thought that gays would be more comfortable now knowing that a former NBA player came out. Hardaway wanted to make sure the general public and the possible gay players in the nba, knew that a lot of NBA players and other professional athletes do not want a player coming out when they are in the middle of playing. He is trying to make gays re-think their comfortability with their uality around the professional sports arena. Sure he sounded harsh and I don't agree with some of the stuff he is saying, but there will probably never be a gay player in a professional sport who, during their playing days, comes out. Tim Hardaway was making sure of this.
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:01 pm

Yoda wrote:
josebach wrote:
Yoda wrote:Did he bump his head a lot or something? Even if you thought that way about homos, why come out and announce it to the public? Seems stupid to do this on a radio show. Maybe he is like a little kid who just wants attention whether it is positive or not.

ho·mo

Did I offend you?

For what it's worth, I agree that that probably wasn't the best word choice. ;-)
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:02 pm

statsman88 wrote:

Is it better to just keep your mouth shut instead of displaying to the world how much of an ignorant jackass you are? Probably.

It's gonna take someone to come out, while they're still playing to bring change and tolerance in the pros, not unlike Magic coming out with his HIV. A lot of players were incredibly freaked out by it and didn't feel comfortable playing with Magic. Eventually things calmed down and as people became better educated about it, they realized it wasn't a big deal.

Granted HIV and homosexuality are slightly different matters, but with both, fear and ignorance being the greatest hurdles to overcome in a professional sports setting I think there's a valid comparison there.

I think with all the attention John Amaechi has been getting lately, alot of players (including retired) probably thought that gays would be more comfortable now knowing that a former NBA player came out. Hardaway wanted to make sure the general public and the possible gay players in the nba, knew that a lot of NBA players and other professional athletes do not want a player coming out when they are in the middle of playing. He is trying to make gays re-think their comfortability with their uality around the professional sports arena. Sure he sounded harsh and I don't agree with some of the stuff he is saying, but there will probably never be a gay player in a professional sport who, during their playing days, comes out. Tim Hardaway was making sure of this.

I can nearly guarantee that there is. With homosexuality becoming increasingly more accepted an popular by the majority of the world, I fully believe that somebody will come out of the closet while they are still playing.
joelamosobadiah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby statsman88 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:04 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
statsman88 wrote:

I can nearly guarantee that there is. With homosexuality becoming increasingly more accepted an popular by the majority of the world, I fully believe that somebody will come out of the closet while they are still playing.

yeah, you are right, I'm not even sure why I wrote it like that. I should have said probably in the next 20 years
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:05 pm

Yoda wrote:
josebach wrote:

ho·mo

Did I offend you?

No, but you knew it was disparaging when you typed it. Surely you don't want us to think you're ignorant, do you? Because that's the only alternative.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:16 pm

josebach wrote:
Yoda wrote:
josebach wrote:

ho·mo

Did I offend you?

No, but you knew it was disparaging when you typed it. Surely you don't want us to think you're ignorant, do you? Because that's the only alternative.

On behalf of Josebach and all the homosexual people in the world, I apologize for using the word "homo". :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:20 pm

Yoda wrote:
josebach wrote:
Yoda wrote:
josebach wrote:

ho·mo

Did I offend you?

On behalf of Josebach and all the homosexual people in the world, I apologize for using the word "homo". :-D

And I apologize for using the word "moron". :-D
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:21 pm

Yoda wrote:
josebach wrote:
Yoda wrote:
josebach wrote:

ho·mo

Did I offend you?

Well, Jose said that he wasn't offended... :-b

Anyway, is that word offensive to homoSEXUALS? I knew that it was slang and is often use to cast them in a bad light, but do they find it offensive?? :-?
joelamosobadiah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:35 pm

It woulda been so awesome if after this rant

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

He added on:

Not that there's anything wrong with that!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk