No Child Left Behind - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

No Child Left Behind

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:45 am

See, AA, I see you as an exception and I think that's great. I feel like it's unfortunate that most teachers don't want to work at failing schools... but a lot of states themselves are coming up with comprehensive initiatives to get teachers to work at those schools; pay bonuses, relocation, higher pay... there is a shortage of good teachers in general in my opinion; or, not so much a shortage of good teachers... of teachers in general. I'm positive enough to think that majority of those who go into the profession of educating others are good teachers and that they're both underpaid and under appreciated. At least in my community.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:54 am

Coppermine wrote:See, AA, I see you as an exception and I think that's great. I feel like it's unfortunate that most teachers don't want to work at failing schools... but a lot of states themselves are coming up with comprehensive initiatives to get teachers to work at those schools; pay bonuses, relocation, higher pay... there is a shortage of good teachers in general in my opinion; or, not so much a shortage of good teachers... of teachers in general. I'm positive enough to think that majority of those who go into the profession of educating others are good teachers and that they're both underpaid and under appreciated. At least in my community.

You know, you're right. I know, for instance, that my school is going to lose 60% of our English teachers next year. I may be one of them. And the sad thing is that it isn't the kids. It's the NCLB act. Because our school is considered "failing," I have to undergo the extra work and humiliation I mentioned in my first post in this thread. And the meetings and ridiculous requirements that the NCLB act are putting on the poorer schools are driving even more good, qualified teachers out of our poorer schools. I've already been offered a job in the best public school in the area for next year. I'd like to stay where I am, but I won't unless I get special permission to skip all (well, a vast majority) of the meetings and to actually teach in my classroom.

We'll see.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:57 pm

My wife has been teaching for almost 10 years now and she finally had enough and is changing her career (guidance counselor/school psychologist). It is ridiculous, especially in Cali, the hoops that they make teachers go through. The final straw was the size of the classrooms in her high school. She has over 40 kids in the lowest level general science class. When I was in high school (granted 15 years ago), I was never in a classroom with more than 25 kids. It is hard enough to teach kids who don't have any respect and don't have any desire to learn let alone having 40 of them in one class. Ridiculous.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to General Talk