Pedro passes blame - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pedro passes blame

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:35 pm

When Pedro took the blame, I gave him a lot of credit for that show of class. Now, it's more like a show of a**. Nothing like a real man to hit a guy when he's down. Pedro could have just left well enough alone but he just had to say something. :-t
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:38 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
wrveres wrote:How many more days Transmo.... Is it one more week and I can lose the Popsicle to the left?

I think it might be ten days or so. The game was on the 16th, ended on the 17th, so you have till the 17th, in my book.

this has got to be the slowest month ..... .... .... ever. :~(

Perhaps, but I guarantee you my month has been worse. Just digging up the old Pedro quote I had to read some stories about that game. It brought back memories and I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight. :~(

you would think of all people, after all these years, a Red Sox fan would have learned to overcome failure. :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 743)

Postby Shitney™ » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:10 pm

Lofunzo wrote:When Pedro took the blame, I gave him a lot of credit for that show of class. Now, it's more like a show of a**. Nothing like a real man to hit a guy when he's down. Pedro could have just left well enough alone but he just had to say something. :-t

yea no use bringing up the past..
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:12 pm

Shitney™ wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:When Pedro took the blame, I gave him a lot of credit for that show of class. Now, it's more like a show of a**. Nothing like a real man to hit a guy when he's down. Pedro could have just left well enough alone but he just had to say something. :-t

yea no use bringing up the past..

Exactly. Especially considering that Little paid the ultimate price and is gone.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:16 pm

Does anybody know why Púto called this press conference in the first place? I saw it on ESPN news but I was in a position as to where I couldn't hear it. :-) It seemed like it went on forever.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 743)

Postby Shitney™ » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:17 pm

maybe it was just a slow day in the office... B-)
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:56 pm

Wow, there's alot of Pedro-haters on this forum...more than usual. Whoever called Pedro selfish, is completely wrong. This guy is a complete TEAM player, and the type of guy that makes a clubhouse a friendly enviroment to work in. If you don't believe me, then you haven't been watching Red Sox baseball for very long. He plays practical jokes on players, and always has a smile on his face. The only exception to this is on game day, when he should be serious. No player that has played with Pedro has said anything bad about him.

Once again, from reading that article, the media, as always, made him look bad, and only pointed out his "negative" comments. Wow, what a friggin surprise! AND, btw, it WAS Grady Little's fault. You don't ask a pitcher if he can stay in, and expect him to say NO! Grady Little was a pretty decent manager, but he screwed up. I don't think he should be fired for it, but that's how it goes. In this business, one mistake, and you can be gone. IMO, I actually like when players speak their minds, and don't just say, "No comment."

BUT, I know if someone doesn't like a player, they'll find every reason in the world to hate him more, and try to spread the hate. I only player I ever HATED was Roger Clemens, and thats just for reasons I can't explain(it's too painful to talk about.... :-o ). Anyways, keep talking trash about Pedro b/c its what he uses for motivation during games. He reads articles and watches TV for motivation on gameday. Hey, it seems to be working so far!
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:27 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Wow, there's alot of Pedro-haters on this forum...more than usual. Whoever called Pedro selfish, is completely wrong. This guy is a complete TEAM player, and the type of guy that makes a clubhouse a friendly enviroment to work in. If you don't believe me, then you haven't been watching Red Sox baseball for very long. He plays practical jokes on players, and always has a smile on his face. The only exception to this is on game day, when he should be serious. No player that has played with Pedro has said anything bad about him.

Once again, from reading that article, the media, as always, made him look bad, and only pointed out his "negative" comments. Wow, what a friggin surprise! AND, btw, it WAS Grady Little's fault. You don't ask a pitcher if he can stay in, and expect him to say NO! Grady Little was a pretty decent manager, but he screwed up. I don't think he should be fired for it, but that's how it goes. In this business, one mistake, and you can be gone. IMO, I actually like when players speak their minds, and don't just say, "No comment."

BUT, I know if someone doesn't like a player, they'll find every reason in the world to hate him more, and try to spread the hate. I only player I ever HATED was Roger Clemens, and thats just for reasons I can't explain(it's too painful to talk about.... :-o ). Anyways, keep talking trash about Pedro b/c its what he uses for motivation during games. He reads articles and watches TV for motivation on gameday. Hey, it seems to be working so far!

I don't know Pedro from a hole in the head personally but you are right in that I don't like some of the things that he does as a player but that has nothing to do with anything here. You wanna say that it was Grady's fault? I buy that 100%. If he takes Pedro out, then he still has a job. You are missing the point here, though. Pedro said after the game that it was his fault. He was on the mound and he made the pitches. Good for him. Stand up guy. My point is why does he now need to blame it on Little after the guy has been fired? What does this accomplish? Nothing except that he's hitting the man while he's down and showing that he lied with his previous comments. He was a team player when he made the statements before. Now, he is nothing more than a selfish pitcher somehow needing to have his ego stroked.

Finally, if Pedro needs to read articles and bulletin boards to get motivation on gameday, then he is in the wrong profession. I can think of 17 million or so reasons why he should be plenty motivated.
Lofunzo

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:11 pm

After 10 seasons(or however long its been), its sometimes difficult to get motivated, especially in a 162 game season. But, he didn't BLAME Little. He said that it was Little's choice, which is true. He never said "We lost the game because of the managing that Grady Little did." He just said that he was tired entering the inning, and he thought that Wakefield was going to come in for him if he got in trouble. He was in trouble, and Grady asked him to come out, and, obviously, he said no. Yes, it was partly his fault b/c he gave up the runs, but everyone watching knew he was ready to collapse.

About him changing his statement after the game till now, I think he's allowed to do that. What if, after the game he said, "I should of been pulled. Its Little's fault that we lost." Do you know how deep of s*** he'd be in? But, thats not the kind of guy he is, he was trying to calm the storm. Since Grady is gone now, why shouldn't he be able to say what really went on, and what he really felt about. If it were me, I'd be pissed too. I probably wouldn't of had the willpower to blame myself, and not the coach, after the game.

Just remember that all these players are human, and sometimes the wrong words get said. Don't think that everything Pedro says is scripted and extremely well thought out. No matter what some people think, he isn't superhuman....I think. And people wonder why players hate to talk to the media! If you watched the press conference, Pedro refused to talk about the Manny situation, and was hesitant to talk about Little, but the media kept asking him. Its not like he called this press conference to bash Little. It was small press conference that didn't warrant National coverage.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:19 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:He was in trouble, and Grady asked him to come out, and, obviously, he said no. Yes, it was partly his fault b/c he gave up the runs, but everyone watching knew he was ready to collapse.

I hear ya. I believe that if he was the team player that you claim him to be and especially under the circumstances, he could have told Grady how tired he was. I know that players don't like to come out but he had thrown a strong 7 innings and their bullpen had been pitching well in the series.
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers