Bavasi new GM of the Mariners - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bavasi new GM of the Mariners

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:40 pm

Bill Bavasi worked for the Padres' operations department and grounds crew from 1974-78, and was with the Angels from 1980-99, serving as GM during his final six seasons. He spent the past two years as the Dodgers' director of player development.

From grounds crew to GM ..... in 30 years ..

I guess it is safe to say that Dad didn't pull any strings. And if he did, at least he made him "rake the mound" first. Its not like he was just handed a Managerial Job.

Am I the only one who sees the humor in ...

"A Yankee Fan failing to understand why another team won't spend money"
They will never figure it out ..... .... ... never. :-)
Last edited by wrveres on Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:10 pm

wrveres wrote:Am I the only won who sees the humor in ...

"A Yankee Fan failing to understand why another team won't spend money"
They will never figure it out ..... .... ... never. :-)

Am I the only 1 who isn't necessarily talking about just adding payroll? A small addition here or there over the last few years would have been nice for them. If they would have gotten a $1 million reliever or something, how much would it have cost them for the last 2-3 months? Don't let your hatred for the Yankees skew the fact that they did nothing. I agree that there are creative ways to do things but they did nothing. :-t

If you say that I will never figure it out (nice stereotype :-t ), then I guess that is the truth. Not. It has nothing to do with anything other than trying to make the playoffs. Even the Marlins did some moves.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:44 pm

I understand what you are saying.... but as was pointed out earlier ... You have to give to get ... Be it a prospect or be it money. Not every team has the flexabilty that you, as a fan, have become used to ....
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:52 pm

wrveres wrote:I understand what you are saying.... but as was pointed out earlier ... You have to give to get ... Be it a prospect or be it money. Not every team has the flexabilty that you, as a fan, have become used to ....

I am expressing this because I feel for the fans of the Mariners who have been close, maybe closer than they will be in the coming years, and they haven't even made a move, any move, to improve themselves. If they made the playoffs, then putting a few hundred K into your team would come back and then some. I understand that other teams can't go out and get a Schilling like the Yankees but how about anything? Even KC made a move for someone like Leskanic. I am saying that Seattle could have made a move like that if their hands were tied a bit, which I don't believe.

I believe that the Marlins showed this year that even a few moves can make the difference because there is no way that they make their run if not for the Conine, Urbina, etc. moves that they made. Those moves lifted their spirits and also gave them a nice security blanket when Looper forgot how to close games late in the season.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:07 pm

Obviouslly the reward was great for the Marlins. But what did they give up? Alot. For what? 1 ring? I say its worth it yes, but no way the Marlins repeat. Only one team can win, so thats means every other team that traded away a prospect,(cus thats what you give to get) to pickup a player, gambled and failed. And chances are, they won't keep the player they traded for either. So "Team X with a Shot" is now out of a prospect and a player.

If Seattle gave up a prospect every year that they "Had a Shot". They would not be good for very long. IMO.

And financially speaking, lets not forget. This is the same team that couldn't keep Arod or RJ. Why? Money.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Shitney™ » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:15 pm

DK wrote:Are we starting another mountain again? :D

i was thinking the same as i was reading this through... just hit reply :-) :-)
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:18 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
wrveres wrote:I understand what you are saying.... but as was pointed out earlier ... You have to give to get ... Be it a prospect or be it money. Not every team has the flexabilty that you, as a fan, have become used to ....

I am expressing this because I feel for the fans of the Mariners who have been close, maybe closer than they will be in the coming years, and they haven't even made a move, any move, to improve themselves. If they made the playoffs, then putting a few hundred K into your team would come back and then some. I understand that other teams can't go out and get a Schilling like the Yankees but how about anything? Even KC made a move for someone like Leskanic. I am saying that Seattle could have made a move like that if their hands were tied a bit, which I don't believe.

I believe that the Marlins showed this year that even a few moves can make the difference because there is no way that they make their run if not for the Conine, Urbina, etc. moves that they made. Those moves lifted their spirits and also gave them a nice security blanket when Looper forgot how to close games late in the season.

I find myself agreeing with Lofunzo, strangely enough. While no one can do what the Yanks do--give up their best prospects for minimal gain--the M's could have done something to get a bat.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:27 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:I find myself agreeing with Lofunzo, strangely enough. While no one can do what the Yanks do--give up their best prospects for minimal gain--the M's could have done something to get a bat.

Should we call Ripley? LOL :-D Strangely enough, I have been agreeing with more and more of your posts lately. 8-o
Lofunzo

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:13 pm

Trans, I agree the Guillen move was good. I said when they got him though, that he wouldn't be enough. They still needed another bat.

While I don't expect every team to be able to spend like the Yankees, every team can go get a piece or two that far into the season if it means having a better shot at winning it all. Seattle could have done something, and the A's didn't do enough. Both of those teams could have picked someone up for minimal money or prospects that would have helped them. Absolute worst case is that the player comes over and stinks, but the team gets a morale boost that is invaluable.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:29 am

The fans are becoming unhappy with ownerships ways the past few years. Again, Seattle lead in attendance. With fans pouring through the gates, ownership is more concerned with revenues, then winning. Howard Lincoln CEO, has to go. His orders during season that payroll can't be increased, is starting to gather fan resentment. It's basically why Lou left. Gillick had a fine career, and although he got no ring in Seattle, no team has won more games the past 4 years. I'm not sure what Pat could have really done. Ventura is at the end, he was no option. ABoone looks terrible in al so far. JGuillen cooled off after he was traded. To Pats credit, Soriano is still a Mariner.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers