Position scarcity: Fact or fiction? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Position scarcity: Fact or fiction?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:16 pm

Position scarcity does exist but some people go overboard with it just like some go overboard with picking the best available player. The challenge is finding a happy medium.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:36 pm

Arlo wrote:Good point about Pierre. :-)

And maybe this opens up a whole new can of worms. We're used to talking about position scarcity (whether we agree on its existence/impact or not :-D ), but we always examine it using dollar values. But do dollar values tell the whole story? In light of players like Pierre, should we be looking at category scarcity as well? :-?

Good point Arlo. This is a discussion that could be raised if we get into the fine points of best available player drafting strategy ...

Erboes,

Good idea to look at the median instead of the average, but I'm a little confused as to your method. Or, to be more precise, I think you used the wrong method. Here's a definition of 'median' I found on the web (using Google):

Google wrote:One type of average, found by arranging the values in order and then selecting the one in the middle. If the total number of values in the sample is even, then the median is the mean of the two middle numbers. The median is a useful number in cases where the distribution has very large extreme values which would otherwise skew the data.

The median is just the middle value of the series being examined. You don't need to lop off any of the end points of the series, nor should you be averaging any numbers (unless it is the middle two).

Median would be a helpful measure here, as averages can be misleading.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Erboes » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:54 pm

Damn nitpickers,

Yes, you are technically right. The whole idea of a median is to have the same amount on each side of the middle; however, for the point of this discussion it does little good to have 6 above and 6 below the median. I could have just done that by drawing a line right before 6 and right after 7 in all rankings. The samples are just too small to be using a pure median method, although I doubt whether the results would be much different. I just wanted to show as objectively as possible what positions are scarce and what aren't. By all means, if you can figure out something better be my guest.

And although I'm good with numbers, I am certainly not a mathametican, so if anyone can think of a more accurate way to measure this I more than welcome it; after all, one dollar difference in a category could have a major difference for each position. I consider this a working model, and if there's anyway it can be improved I'm all for it because I think this could be useful in our quest of world domination.
Last edited by Erboes on Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rotodog » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:38 pm

Erboes wrote:Damn nitpickers,

Yes, you are technically right. The hole idea of medium it to have the same amount on each side of the middle; however, for the point of this discussion it does little good to have 6 above and 6 below the median. I could have just done that by drawing a line right before 6 and right after 7 in all rankings. The samples are just too small to be using a pure median method, although I doubt whether the results would be much different. I just wanted to show as objectively as possible what positions are scarce and what aren't. By all means, if you can figure out something better be my guest.

And although I'm good with numbers, I am certainly not a mathametican, so if anyone can think of a more accurate way to measure this I more than welcome it; after all, one dollar difference in a category could have a major difference for each position. I consider this a working model, and if there's anyway it can be improved I'm all for it because I think this could be useful in our quest of world domination.
GREAT WORK ANY WAY I LOOK AT I!!It will definetly be an asset to me looking ahead ;-D
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Erboes » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:09 pm

Hey, Madison!

How the hell do I get promoted from one ball to two? Don't I at least merit Softball Supervisor?
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grenade Teeth » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:26 pm

It's all based on number of posts... intelligence in posts doesn't matter... ask DK :-)
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:36 pm

Erboes wrote:Hey, Madison!

How the hell do I get promoted from one ball to two? Don't I at least merit Softball Supervisor?

Gosh, my post about how I think this guy is trouble in a gift box got deleted by a mod.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Grenade Teeth » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:40 pm

shortsavage wrote:

Gosh, my post about how I think this guy is trouble in a gift box got deleted by a mod.

I would bet it said a little more than that if it were to be deleted.
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:10 pm

Grenade Teeth wrote:It's all based on number of posts... intelligence in posts doesn't matter... ask DK :-)

8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:17 pm

Grenade Teeth wrote:
shortsavage wrote:

I would bet it said a little more than that if it were to be deleted.

Erbos, it's a post count thing. Certain # of posts = certain titles. Keep working on it and you will get more balls. :-)

Short, I wasn't the one to remove whatever post got removed, but if one of our mods or admin staff thought it was appropriate to remove it, I'll stand by it. I would have to say that the post contained more than "trouble in a gift box" in order for it to be removed though. Are you sure that that's exactly what was said? O:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers