100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pete Rose admitts he gambled

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:00 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:If gambling is an addiction (which I don't believe)

Mad.......I gotta disagree with you big time on that one. The rush that you get from that is a lot like a rush from smokes or alcohol, etc.

I also welcome all opinions, even if I don't agree with them.

No problem, I've done all 3 and there are big differences in each of them. Just my opinion.

I agree with that. I am just saying that people are addicted to chemicals, gambling, sex, etc. because it gives you a unique rush, all of which are highly addictive.

Gotta love willpower though. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:44 pm

Madison wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:I don't really want to get into this, b/c I know I will never win, but gambling is AN ADDICTION! Its the same as substance abuse. Sometimes, it grows out of a person's control, and they can't handle it. It is impossible to fight it, and these type of people NEED HELP! I have an alcoholic Uncle, and I've seen him want to put down a beer, but instead drink 5 or 6 more. Its sad, and its simply a psycological thing that can't be controlled. Ya, its horribly wrong, and yes, he should be punished, but banned for life? Give me a break!

All opinions are welcomed, and I won't tear you down about it or anything. I do have a question though.

If gambling is an addiction (which I don't believe), why not bet on a different sport? Bets can be placed on anything, so why bet on baseball?

I have said all the way through that he should be out of everything IF he bet on a team that he was managing or playing for.

The best part about Gambling is winning(which I did last night, winning $23.00 at a local poker game), so why wouldn't you bet on the thing you knew most about, which for Pete Rose, would of been Baseball. I'm not saying its right at all, but, to quote a football head coach, "You play to win the game!...you play to win the game!"
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:48 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
Madison wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:I don't really want to get into this, b/c I know I will never win, but gambling is AN ADDICTION! Its the same as substance abuse. Sometimes, it grows out of a person's control, and they can't handle it. It is impossible to fight it, and these type of people NEED HELP! I have an alcoholic Uncle, and I've seen him want to put down a beer, but instead drink 5 or 6 more. Its sad, and its simply a psycological thing that can't be controlled. Ya, its horribly wrong, and yes, he should be punished, but banned for life? Give me a break!

All opinions are welcomed, and I won't tear you down about it or anything. I do have a question though.

If gambling is an addiction (which I don't believe), why not bet on a different sport? Bets can be placed on anything, so why bet on baseball?

I have said all the way through that he should be out of everything IF he bet on a team that he was managing or playing for.

The best part about Gambling is winning(which I did last night, winning $23.00 at a local poker game), so why wouldn't you bet on the thing you knew most about, which for Pete Rose, would of been Baseball. I'm not saying its right at all, but, to quote a football head coach, "You play to win the game!...you play to win the game!"

That's a good point. ;-D I would just think that if Rose had to take care of his addiction, that with the consequences that were there, he would have gone with another sport.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grenade Teeth » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:31 pm

It's not the gambling thats the addiction, its the chemical that is released when you win.

Regardless, feels good, like a dip in a tub of beer ;-D
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:31 pm

Grenade Teeth wrote:Regardless, feels good, like a dip in a tub of beer ;-D

That sounds like Homer Simpson. :D

actually, that happened in the Drew Carey Show once. Quite funny.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Shitney™ » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:51 pm

Madison wrote:That's a good point. ;-D I would just think that if Rose had to take care of his addiction, that with the consequences that were there, he would have gone with another sport.

the way i understand the speculation,

he was betting on other sports and things, then he got himself in a big hole and felt his knowledge of baseball could get him back...

he probably never thought of the consequences at that point. when you're desperate you aren't always thinking clearly. and he probably felt no one was giving him grief about his other betting.. who would they care about this???...
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:01 pm

Shitney™ wrote:
Madison wrote:That's a good point. ;-D I would just think that if Rose had to take care of his addiction, that with the consequences that were there, he would have gone with another sport.

he was betting on other sports and things, then he got himself in a big hole and felt his knowledge of baseball could get him back...

he probably never thought of the consequences at that point. when you're desperate you aren't always thinking clearly. and he probably felt no one was giving him grief about his other betting.. who would they care about this???...

I understand about him getting in a hole but rules are rules. That's almost like driving home drunk every night and not getting caught so you feel all warm and cozy and then 1 night, you get pulled over. What's wrong is wrong.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:59 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Shitney™ wrote:

I understand about him getting in a hole but rules are rules. That's almost like driving home drunk every night and not getting caught so you feel all warm and cozy and then 1 night, you get pulled over. What's wrong is wrong.

Ya, but for drunk driving, you don't lose your license for life, and people actually lose their LIVES from drunk drivers!
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:35 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I understand about him getting in a hole but rules are rules. That's almost like driving home drunk every night and not getting caught so you feel all warm and cozy and then 1 night, you get pulled over. What's wrong is wrong.

Ya, but for drunk driving, you don't lose your license for life, and people actually lose their LIVES from drunk drivers!

If the rule clearly stated that you lost your license for life, then you would. I was trying to make a point. I know that it was a little off but I was comparing it to the guy who makes it home safely every night without incident.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:15 pm

But don't you agree its a little messed up that for betting on baseball, your banned for life, but for driving while drunk you get around 3 months(Maine Law, which have the second harshest(?) OUI laws)?
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers