Pete Rose admitts he gambled - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pete Rose admitts he gambled

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pete Rose admitts he gambled

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:11 am

he said on an interview on espn and pete also said he could be reinestated by the end of the year.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Shitney™ » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:46 pm

hmm,, well we all know he did.. so maybe we can just get him reinstated and move on now..
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:53 pm

I missed the show today and haven't been able to find any articles on it yet.

If in fact he did gamble on games that he managed, then he should never be reinstated. I could care less if he admits it and feels bad about it. If he gambled on his team, then he's out forever.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Shitney™ » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:16 pm

Madison wrote:I missed the show today and haven't been able to find any articles on it yet.

If in fact he did gamble on games that he managed, then he should never be reinstated. I could care less if he admits it and feels bad about it. If he gambled on his team, then he's out forever.

i found this on ESPN, but it doesnt say he admitted it yet:
next to it is a video clip, where he says i gambled and it was wrong.. but he never says "on baseball"
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1655135#
Pete Rose is back on the radar after telling a Cincinnati television reporter this week that he's feeling good about his chances for reinstatement by Major League Baseball.

The Rose interview was to run Wednesday night on WLWT-TV, according to a story published in the Cincinnati Enquirer.

"Based upon my conversation with him, he seems very confident ... that he's going to be reinstated into baseball," Channel 5 anchor Dave Wagner told the Enquirer.

Rose also suggested in his TV interview that any reinstatement agreement will allow him to manage again in the major leagues, the Enquirer reported. Rose's reinstatement might possibly come by the end of the year, according to the newspaper. He would then be eligible for the Hall of Fame.

There have been past reports claiming that as part of any reinstatement deal, Rose would have to admit to betting on baseball.

Rose recently told the Enquirer, it was reported, that his business agent Warren Greene and baseball president and chief operating officer Robert DuPuy sat together for two consecutive Florida Marlins home playoff games in early October.

Rose did not divulge what the two discussed, the newspaper reported.

Baseball's all-time hits leader met with commissioner Bud Selig last year to discuss the possibility of reinstatement, but since news of their meeting leaked, Rose rarely has talked with the media.

Mike Schmidt, Rose's former teammate in Philadelphia, said last summer that he believed Rose would be reinstated this month. Baseball officials, however, have said there is no timetable.

Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:21 pm

Seems like this situation will be resolved one way or another this offseason.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:42 pm

Madison wrote:
If in fact he did gamble on games that he managed, then he should never be reinstated. ... If he gambled on his team, then he's out forever.

I absolutely agree with you. He should never be allowed in. I don't care how good he was. Honor the records he has, but HE should not be in the hall.

He's a disgrace.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ukjohn » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:19 pm

he never admitted he gambled on games, just that he gambled

Here in Cincinnati, we hear about him every day, :-?
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Oat Soda » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:09 pm

Oh man. I've always been of the opinion that if baseball wants to ban him from day-to-day operations with a club, major or minor league, fine. But put the man in the Hall where he belongs.

But if he bet on his own team, for or against, I think he should be hanged for even fighting his situation. I cannot, will not and don't want to jump to conclusions, though. He's one of my childhood heroes and the possibility makes me queasy.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:18 pm

I saw the interview. He said what he has never denied.......That he gambled. He didn't say that he bet on baseball or his team. He was just doing what he does best.......Self promoting and making a case for why he should be back.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:17 am

Madison wrote:If in fact he did gamble on games that he managed, then he should never be reinstated. I could care less if he admits it and feels bad about it. If he gambled on his team, then he's out forever.

Quoted for emphasis since I feel so strongly about it. That includes the hall as well. Leave his plaques in, but not him. If and I stress IF he bet on games that he managed or played in.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers