Reds outfielder shot and dragged to death - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reds outfielder shot and dragged to death

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:31 am

:,-(
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukjohn » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:33 am

Stenson was a very nice prospect, but all of that doesn't matter anymore. Prayers go out to his family and friends. A sad day here in Cincinnati, Arizona, and wherever his family lives.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby EricF » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:00 pm

I'm really sad about this. :,-( As a Reds fan, I feel some connection with Dernell Stenson even though he only joined the organization in 2003. I was in Jacksonville, FL and went to the Southern League All-Star Game, where Stenson represented the Chattanooga Lookouts and participated in the home run derby. When his face was displayed on the scoreboard, my daughter said, "He looks a lot like Ken Griffey, Jr." If you see a picture, you may see a resemblance.

When he reached AAA, I went to a game in my town of Charlotte, where the Louisville Bats were visiting. I got a seat just off the on-deck circle and saw Stenson come up several times. (0-fer that night, but a home run the previous night and the next night.)

With the 2003 dismantling of the Reds and the unbelievable number of injuries, Stenson got a chance to play major league ball for a while, and performed respectably. His AFL performance indicated that he had solid potential.

This is tragic. May God watch over his family and provide comfort while they deal with this senseless event.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:35 pm

:,-( Looks like a senseless carjacking. Sad that things like this happen every day. I hope for the best for his family and friends.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:17 pm

RIP. :,-(

I think these things become more real with photos. This happens so often we become de-sensitized.

RIP
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Shitney™ » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:00 pm

Ariz. Man Held in Connection with Baseball Murder
2 hours, 6 minutes ago

PHOENIX (Reuters) - Police said on Sunday they had arrested a 20-year-old transient on a Native American reservation east of Phoenix in connection with the murder of Cincinnati Reds (news) outfielder Dernell Stenson.

David Griffith was taken into custody without incident on Saturday by Chandler, Arizona, detectives and tribal authorities, said Chandler police spokesman Sgt. Mark Franzen.

Griffith, apprehended at his parent's home, is being held at the tribal police department for investigation of auto theft. Police have said he is a suspect in Stenson's murder.

"We're still piecing this thing together," Franzen said. "We're not giving out any details on how we believe the homicide took place or what the motive was."

Griffith was the third person arrested in connection with Stenson's murder. However, only Griffith and a second man, Reginald Riddle, are considered suspects in the case.

Stenson's body was found by authorities lying in the roadway in a residential area early Wednesday. Police said he had been shot and run over by his own vehicle.

Riddle, 19, from Illinois, is being held on $500,000 bail in a Phoenix jail on suspicion of murder, armed robbery, kidnapping and burglary.

His half-brother, Kevin Riddle, 43, is being held on $10,000 bail for possession of stolen property.

The elder Riddle was arrested after authorities spotted him driving Stenson's black sports utility vehicle only two hours after the homicide. Police said on Thursday that Kevin Riddle was not a suspect in the murder "at this time."

Stenson, 25, had been in the Phoenix area playing in the Arizona Fall League as a last-minute replacement for another player.

He made his major league debut this year with the Reds, hitting .247 with three home runs and 13 RBIs in 37 games. He was claimed by the Reds after being drafted by the Boston Red Sox (news) and spending seven years in its minor league organization.

Stenson, a resident of LaGrange, Georgia, was playing for the Scottsdale Scorpions this fall, tearing up the league with a .394 average in 18 games. His average was the league's third best

I'm glad to see the local police are finding good leads and suspects.
I'd hate to see this case go unsolved.
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:32 pm

Shitney™ wrote:I'm glad to see the local police are finding good leads and suspects.

I hate to see any cases go unsolved... RIP Stenson :,-(

I hope they get the bastards who did it.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:13 pm

DK wrote:
Shitney™ wrote:I'm glad to see the local police are finding good leads and suspects.

I hate to see any cases go unsolved... RIP Stenson :,-(

I hope they get the bastards who did it.

Agree....looks like the police are doing a good job though.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers